Ever Had This Happen?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Claude_Ballz

Ballz-Like
Jan 17, 2000
Visit site
Check this out: lately, whenever i try to shut down my 'puter after i have played UT or Deus Ex (no matter the amount of time after I stopped playing to when I shut down), WIN98 just locks up at the "Windows is shutting down" screen. I can CTL-ALT-DELETE, and it restarts, after which I can shut down fine. And this only happens if I've been playing a game. I'm wondering if it's my video card (Voodoo3 3000 AGP)
Thanx in Advance!

:redeemer:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I've had that happen several times on computers that have and don't have UT installed. I wouldn't neccessarily connect the two, but I'm not saying it isn't related either. There. Well, that wasn't very helpful I'm afraid.

Stuart

Sep 21, 2000
Visit site
I have that happen virtually every time I play UT.

I've heard from people who have the same problem that it was due to installing the latest nvidia reference drivers.

Since your using Voodoo3 - obviously not.

Others have said it could be due to the 428 drivers.

If you aren't using them then I'm all outa ideas.

Anyway my solution. Switch off manually when it freezes. Hit Enter once when restarts to skip auto scandisk. Not that time cosuming.

Ultron

Robot XMP Beta Tester
Mar 6, 2000
Secret Hideout
clans.utworld.net
That's probably your video card not relinquishing it's control of it's IRQ. You are probably sharing it with another device. The PCI specification allows for IRQ sharing between other cards that use the PCIset. Don't worry about what I'm saying here.

See if you can reinstall the video card drivers, or the drivers to the otehr card you are using.

Go into your BIOS and allow PnP to be controlled by Windows. If it already is, and you have problems, then disable that, and have your motherboard choose for you.

If you need any other advice let me know.

One more thing. Take a look at your other card which is sharing the same IRQ a sthe video card, and move THAT to a different slot on the motherboard. Do that firstm before any driver installs.

Do you have a network card installed? Sometimes they need to be higher up on the motherboard, towards Slot 1, which is just below the AGP slot.

You should already have the latest drivers from 3ddx, too.

Stuart

Sep 21, 2000
Visit site
I have an Asus 7700 in an AGP slot yet get the same issue. So moving PCI cards may not be the answer.

Its a UT engine thing - possibly to do with the latest patch, or just the engine itself.

Are you also running off a via chipset board like the Asus A7V?

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
Windows freezes on the shutdown screen for me too. I don't know if there is a correlation between UT and this problem, because I got UT when I purchased the computer a few months ago. It is annoying and I usually have to hold the power button in until it shuts off, because Cont., Alt., Del. doesn't work.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
There are many people who have this problem. Me too.
It seems to be Nvidias ref. driver which causes this problem.
You can read more about it in the newsgroup:
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Claude_Ballz

Ballz-Like
Jan 17, 2000
Visit site
Thanx for all the info. guys (i knew this was the right place to ask!) I checked my video card and network card (only reason i have the n/w card is for cable modem) and they are showing no conflicts. I do have the 428 drivers for the voodoo 3 installed. i'm going to try to go back to the last version if they don't have new ones out. I'm getting ready to upgrade my video card and i can't decide - Voodoo5 5000 or GeForce based ? whaddaya think?

:chainsaw:

~NitroFish*

Jun 26, 2000
Tucson, AZ ,USA
Visit site
You say your running Windows 98. It won't be Windows 98SE?

I have several PCs here at the office that have the same intermitent shutdown problem. Its a Windows 98SE bug and M$ has a specific patch for it.

Another thing to try is to run MSCONFIG from Start\Run, click on the Advanced button and put a check mark in the box before "Disable Fast Shutdown." If there's already check mark there, remove the check mark. Sounds wierd I know but it works :)

The patch from M$ or using MSCONFIG has worked for me.

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
Yep. That problem's just popped up on me too. I just un-checked the fast shut down box. Hope it works.

I never really made the connection with the new nvidia drivers or the new 428 patch, but I did them both about the same time, and that's about when it started.

I was just going to defrag, and if that didn't work, re-install W98SE.

Cool thread. I'm glad you started it. :)

Claude_Ballz

Ballz-Like
Jan 17, 2000
Visit site
I d/l'ed the previous drivers for the V3 3000, and that seemed to take care of the problem....good thing too, i was just about to re-format. i'm still gonna check out the MSCONFIG.
i'm glad i started this thread too.... i've talked to alot of people about this, with no solutions ... glad i came to PUF !!!