Ideas for a new UnrealScript editor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

reaperL37

I'm at the design process of making a new UnrealScript editor. I'm aiming at a proper OOP interface and i was wondering if anyone has any ideas they would like to submit for its design. If you have could you please e-mail them to: mailto:a.lempereur@cableinet.co.uk

doktor_ynohtna

Jan 15, 2000
Brighton, England
www.ynohtna.org
Not being funny, but do you really feel there is much need for a bespoke editor?

It seems that most folk either use Textpad/Editpad (or whatever Windows style editor takes their fancy) or Visual Studio.

Me, I use GNU Emacs (in Java-mode with full font-locking syntax highlighting which works perfectly with UScript) to edit the code, GNU Make (executed from within Emacs) to compile the code (Emacs automatically parses the compilation output and understands error output so I can immediately jump to any bogus code - usually typos). I also use a number of tools - most notably grep - from within Emacs to assist my UScript coding, and seamlessly check files in and out of version control (I use rcs) with it.

Of course, I tend to do most things from within Emacs anyway, but still, unless your planned editor has some supremely useful functionality I doubt many people will take to it.

I don't intend to be negative, I guess I just think that maybe your time could be better spent coding some cool UnrealScript code rather than working on a fairly big project like a text editor (a wheel that has been invented many times before).

Regards,
ynohtnA.

[This message has been edited by doktor_ynohtna (edited 01-16-2000).]