Problems with UT over internet.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Baron

Aug 3, 2000
Visit site
Every time I try to join an internet game of UT (in the pings of under 200) I have weird problems. When I choose a server to join, UT will Load, Precashe, then Connect. Before the game's graphics appear, I will hear a small burst of gunfire and other game action, then I hear silence. WHen I am actually able to see the arena, I find that any player in the game I see is frozen like a statue. My gun fires, but no bullets hit the walls or targets, and my ammo never depletes. I cannot pick up any items or change weapons. I can move around as I like, but I cannot activate lifts that normally sense my presence. Also, if I fall off the map, I cannot die. This is weird and cool for a while, but I actually wanna play the game and I am getting really sick of this. I call this problem Limbo Syndrome, because it's so weird and feels like I'm misplaced in time.

I am using an at&t@home cable connection, I have 64 mb ram, a 16 mb video card using TNT, I have a 500mhz athlon processor. Please help me. I just bought this game on sale for 20 bucks, and I have NOT gotten my money's worth so far.

Baron

Azmo

ul+ra l33+
Mar 27, 2000
Netherlands
This sounds like extremely high packet loss, so there is probably something wrong with your connection. Get VisualRoute to determine whether some internet router is screwed up. I'm on the Dutch @Home network myself, and a while back I had pings of more than 1100 ms. :( It turned out that the main @Home gateway wasn't coping. It's fixed now, though :)

You should also make sure UT is configured for cable. Open UT and go to Options > Preferences > Network. Set it to Cable/DSL.