Texture question - stupid really...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Scrawn

Dec 15, 1999
Visit site
I'm a pretty advanced user of paint programs (Photoshop, etc.) but a novice when it comes to making maps. I wanted to create some of my own textures for my map and was wondering if they had to be seamless? I assume so, as they would look consistent, but was just wondering anyway.

Scrawn

Dec 15, 1999
Visit site
True, but I never said I was a "texture artist". I don't do textures for web pages or games and such. I use them for my art pieces (I'm in art school). Anyway seamless textures is something I've never had an interest in as it's much more interesting to NOT make them seamless and they're only used more in the technical fields of art (3D art, motion graphics, games, web pages, etc.).

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Making seamless textures is cheaper then making lots of textures intended to be used together to create a bigger effect. This is what has to be done though since we're still limited to 256x256 textures for Unreal. I believe the actual limit is 1024x1024 but considering many cards can't handle textures that big and neither can Dx6/7 it won't happen.