Where were you ten years ago ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
The thread title says it all.

How aware were you of the upcoming super title "Unreal Tournament". Which kind of news flashes/tidbits of information did you gather/happen to catch, and where.

Where you already an Unreal veteran (or to fps), or maybe the at the other end ? Had the enigmatic world of Unreal merely opened its doors for you.

How mesmerised where you by the brutal arena combat of the Liandri tournaments ?

My case:

I started playing Unreal in september 99. Bought it on impulse really, I had read a few arcticles prior to doing so but still.. something intrigued me about that game. And it wouldn't let go.

Well, the same feeling got a hold of me in UT's case. By this time, in august 1999, another game had already dominated my gaming time... quake III arena.... :D

But every now and then I caught a few short articles, screenshots and footage (some online, some in a gaming program) of the impressive Unreal Tournament. Mainly from assault levels such as Frigate and overlord.

I couldn't quite shake the feeling off, there was something really special about this game.

A couple of months later I got the demo and the rest is history.

I had already joined the work force, but spare time was available in greater doses. Back then, I was able to game for hours and hours, quite a bit has changed.

How about you ? I'm sure my intriguing, devastating, mind blowing story shook the earth from underneath your feet :p :p
Yeah, it's not that thrilling I know. But 1999 was an exciting year for gaming, imho.

So, let's hear it :)

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Don't remember all that much but I think a friend had a 3dfx card and showed me Unreal. I then got a copy of Unreal Tournament at a lan party in 2000. Two years later I got an adsl connection and started playing online with my amd K6-2/333. The action was a real blur and I was too busy going ah at the graphics and scenery while someone would usually frag me in the backside :p .

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
It was the Playstation times for me. Although I was already a semi-pro at Unreal 1 D:
When UT came out it was really an awesome moment.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I was at a CES convention for arcade games and other systems in Vegas. I was invited by the owner of the arcade place I used to play at every day which later became a PC Game Room from 1999 to late summer of 2003. When I got to the convention I didn't look around much because I happened to walk by where my favorite and first fps game was. That arcade game was called "WAR:Final Assault" and I became the best player of it all around.

As soon as I saw the game there I got into one of the two machines available and started playing with the people that kept coming to try it out. The game will always give the winner the next game free and only the one that lost had to move for other people to play. I played against dozens of people, including the developers, without losing a single game. About a couple of hours of playing a guy show up and I beat him with a perfect spawn kill for over 3 minutes and the guy got mad and went off cursing. I played this guy for several games and I noticed that there was a bunch of people watching us play and they were all on his side hoping that he won. After this guy that couldnt catch up with my game left the developers told me that he was the world champ of that game and that I beat him and dozens of other people with ease and game me a WAR pin and the title of world champ at that game. Well, after over 4 long hours of straight up playing without losing a single game, playing dozens of mad fans and beating the crap out of the world champ, my friends came back to get me because it was time to go home and get some food on the way since we were starving already... specially me lol.

A few months later when the first PC arrived at that place, the game it had was called UnrealTournament and several of us had to pay $6 and hour and lign up in order to play it. Ever since I played UT in the PC I became very addicted to it and have been playing it ever since. What sucks about this addiction is that I have spent thousands of dollars buying hours to use a computer from that time until 2003. Up to this day, I use the same PC I used to use all that time and bought it when the place closed down because I had all my personal maps in it and also wanted to keep the memories of the PC that I spent so much money on and gave me all the good times I had playing the game.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I was without computer that time (played NES when bored), I played Unreal a bit in late 98 too on another computer and the beta.

I have heard about UT, especialy from TV and magazines. But never had to play it back then and still I had a dream or rather owning Unreal than UT.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Ten years ago, I started working for the company that I'm currently working for now & I got my first desktop computer.

I started reading some PC hardware magazines in early 2000 & in the graphics card review sections was where I first saw mention being made of a PC game called Unreal Tournament.

In the fall of 2000, I built my first desktop, and purchased a Creative sound card which came bundled with four games. Unreal Tournament, Deus Ex, Thief, MDK2.

I didn't install any of the games & play them right away, but in March of 2001, I purchased a 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 card to replace the TNT card & decided it was time to install those games & try them out to test out my 3DFX card.

Been hooked on UT & Deus Ex ever since.

Last edited:

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
My boss at the time showed me unreal on the works PC. it ran at about 5 fps but I was really impressed. I'd also seen vids of it on tv at the time as well. Went out and upgraded just for Unreal with a voodoo 3 card. As luck would have it I found an offer that bundled Unreal with the card. I still have the original disc (card's long gone btw).

With UT's release I got into mapping.

Franko

Jul 25, 2001
Ohio
Visit site
Was still looking for a game that had the same kind of gameplay that I had found with Bungie's Marathon (ya, I was on a Mac). Marathon had the best storyline a first person shooter ever had to go with it too.

UT brought an updated gameplay and graphics - not a great storyline, but soon I was hooked anyway. People were creating maps and skins like crazy. I remember visiting skin sites to see what "Preacher" (was that his name lol) was critiquing - slamming most people's skins as sh*t, but he brought out the best of the others - to make good (at the time) skins. The map sites did the same.

I haven't been excited about any new fps games since.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Owned a PS and 64. Enjoying both Perfect Dark and Vigilante 8 2ND offense. Jedi Knight Dark force 2 was an awesome game too. Too bad they can't make these anymore. :(

I got in Quake/UT around late 2001.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Me? Already was playing Unreal when I first got my PC for school. Playing Unreal MP was a pain at the time as I used the Heat service which took forever on dialup (thought I had to manually type in a server's IP like in Quake but didn't knew about the GameSpy browser till later...:lol: ). Anyway I head about UT first as an expansion so I wanted to try it out, especially since people said you can play Unreal DM maps on it with UT weapons. When the UT demo was in PC Gamer, I bought the mag and loved levels like Tempest. But I waited until I got a 3D card before buying UT:GOTY for Christmas.

Also I was into playing TFC at the time so I was happen to find an Unreal Fortress mod for UT, and then started to d/l as many mods and skins as I could. Since then I'm still hooked to this day. :D

Seeing as how UT saved Unreal for me, I was very enthusiastic about it's release. Unreal multiplayer wasn't satiating me very much like some other MP shooters were at the time, and I wasn't having much luck trying to get my early attempts at SP mapping to function. Then UT happened and I was totally hooked on it. I regard this period 1999-2001 as probably the peak of my experience with the shooter genre.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I suspect that I was one of the few people who had a good time with Unreal MP. I had just moved several hundred miles to a new job and stayed at a friend's for several months until we found a new house. Naturally, it was all LAN MP and none of that nasty packet-loss stuff that you get on the Internet. :)

I also got rather good at Starcraft during that period...

Antimatter0

Jul 22, 2009
Belgium
Ten years ago I was busy playing the UT99 demo to death and It really was an awesome experience to get in touch with the digital technology and the originality that UT99 had back then, mind you that I was 11 years old by then and that videogaming was one of my greatest interests I had in life.
When you were young everything was just 10 times more big & alive :eek: than it is now when you're adult(ish). UT99 was probably the game I've played the most hours in my entire life & I still like it (just not as much as back then...).

IronMan(Erie)

May 31, 2005
Erie, Pa
In 1999 I was still big into Hidden & Dangerous, Soldier of Fortune, Outlaws, and Dark Forces: Jedi Knight 2 (with the SBX mod). Unreal Tournament didn't happen for me until late 2000 and Quake 3 Area followed in 2001.
Edit: I forgot to add Diablo to 1999.

Last edited:

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
10 years ago i was busy playing the 1st Delta Force with a group of friends online, it was great fun as unlike on the official novalogic servers, the private public servers were full of good fairplay spirit.

Discovering the Unreal Tournament demo, we were playing from time to time on a gaming network named "GOA", mostly on Morpheus as it was very smooth for our weak computers of the time in software render in low resolution.

But it ran better offline for me, and it was there that i became amazed by how interesting it was to play with the UT bots in the various gametype, unlike most bots for arena-like games they were really brillant.

Last edited: