Gears Of War 2: The Sales Are In!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Gears Of War 2 went on sale a few days ago, and if you were wondering how well it did, how does 2.1 Million copies sound?

VG Chartz gained early access to the sales figures of the game, which sold 1.4 million in its first day in the United States alone.

Not exactly a Halo 3 killer (which sold 3.8 Million copies on its first day) but all in all, not a bad number for a Non-Halo game!

MuLuNGuS

Apr 14, 2005
what i want to know is:

how many sales would it be when they brought a box and PC version the same day??

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
And over 50% of the players who tried the multiplayer experience agrees that it blows.
Gears of War 2 isn't as good as it sounded like. The shotgun is extremely nerfed and all you see happening right now is chainsaws plus camp-Lacering. I can't really tell the different between Halo 3 and Gears 2 right now, especially on how noobish the game actually is right now plus their silly matchmaking system.

They got that tactical idea wrong.
Better get working on a patch before you get a UT3 failure again.

BTW, was Mike Capps inside Epic's studio when they were working on UT2004? Because I have a feeling that this guy is seriously a joke for the studio ever since UT3 was being worked on. Epic Games are not what they used to be, at all. Just another Bungie wannabe.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Remember what they did to the sniper in UT3? People complained about it in 2k4, so rather than balancing it in UT3 they just completely made it worthless in non-vehicles gametypes, plus they added something in the code that enlarges the head hitbox when you stand still.

Pretty much the same thing that's happening with the shotgun right now. They didn't made it random anymore, here's what the spray looks like (Try it yourself)

shotgunspraycg6.png

It's not like it's a problem, but this plus the very low ROF it's on it's way to hell versus chainsaw idiots.
Not to mention that chansaws are really harder to shot now. Give me a break. :(

Last edited:

MaestroMaus

Jul 22, 2008
Whoah, you're shure quick with your judgements.
And over 50% of the players who tried the multiplayer experience agrees that it blows.
Source plz!

Gears of War 2 isn't as good as it sounded like. The shotgun is extremely nerfed and all you see happening right now is chainsaws plus camp-Lacering. I can't really tell the different between Halo 3 and Gears 2 right now, especially on how noobish the game actually is right now plus their silly matchmaking system.
I don't know about the gameplay (I don't own a console), but I would like to ask what's so silly about the matchmaking? Generally speaking, matchmaking sounds like a good idea to me.

They got that tactical idea wrong.
Better get working on a patch before you get a UT3 failure again.

BTW, was Mike Capps inside Epic's studio when they were working on UT2004? Because I have a feeling that this guy is seriously a joke for the studio ever since UT3 was being worked on. Epic Games are not what they used to be, at all. Just another Bungie wannabe.
I am not going to burn my hands on that one...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
I'd disagree about MP blowing... found it to be quite solid and fun. Still beats the **** out of gaylo 3 but it I guess at all depends on how you play and who you play with (as I mentioned earlier in another thread I play with my friends probably matchmaking is filled with a bunch of douche bags as any random server on any game does ). Overall though I hardly see Gears turning into the UT 3 failure. Just for the record yes I agree UT3 had weak start but after patches, and some great looking map packs the game is decent and fun to play, and I personally would not call it a failure as most of this community deems it but that's my opinion. Gears delivered the goods day one, UT 3 was a whole other game from what the franchise started as. Between Gears 1 and 2 I don't see the drastic and inconsistent jump as it was from 2k4 to UT 3, regardless of that jump UT 3 is still a good game and from Gears 1 to 2 yes things have changed but not enough to label it failure. (that's I'll say about that)

Only thing I did not like was that not all the maps work for every gametype, particularity submission. For example playing that mode in Jacinto you need to take the long way around the map to get to either point as you can't jump cover with the stranded you have. However, same game mode in tyro station guess what ramps appear in the middle of the tracks to allow you to take the stranded captive back and forth with ease without going the long way.... what the hell?

Other than that, wall tagging is ****ing hilarious, there have been times where I was being chased by my buddies, I make a quick turn tag a crate with a smoke grenade they hit it, and boom their down I double back chainsaw/melee them! :lol:

Single player, really solid and overall much better than Gears 1, did not feel as short and narrative is better. Cinematic are top notch, environments are more diverse and more 'boss' encounters than the first game. I am almost done with the campaign I could have finished it but I had to sleep had no more energy to play.

Last edited:

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Generally speaking, matchmaking sounds like a good idea to me.
Only if it is provided as an additional method to look for games. How would you try to organise a game with friends over the net if you can't select the appropriate server. Secondly, the game may connect you to a horrible server with high ping, or a retarded pub that you didn't want to join anyways.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Whoah, you're shure quick with your judgements.

Source plz!

Just read their official forums, if luckily most of the complain threads aren't deleted as usual. The multiplayer needs fixing, that is all. If Epic can listen to their community the multiplayer should be fun then, if not then prepare for a UT3. That is, people preferring bot matches over the online games.

Have you even tried Horde yet via the match making system? A host is randomly picked up, so someone in the game has barely any lag, while the 4 others lag quite a bit, if the host quit the game is done, Why you think they removed the "quit match" option via the game menu? Their Matchmaking system's trying to be like Halo 3 but it's even badder.

But hey whatever, feel free to disagree here.
I like Gears 2, I still play the game and I don't regret spending my $70 on it. The only issue is that we paid a Beta.

Last edited:

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
I don't know about the gameplay (I don't own a console), but I would like to ask what's so silly about the matchmaking? Generally speaking, matchmaking sounds like a good idea to me.
I haven't yet played online, but if I understood the threads I looked through on Epic Games forums, there's no server browser. Quite possible, since that's how Battlefield Bad Company was - you set your choice and connected to the server that game thinks is most suited to you, based on the settings you provided.

MaestroMaus

Jul 22, 2008
Just read their official forums, if luckily most of the complain threads aren't deleted as usual. The multiplayer needs fixing, that is all. If Epic can listen to their community the multiplayer should be fun then, if not then prepare for a UT3. That is, people preferring bot matches over the online games.
Yeah, but the Epic forums is generally filled with complainers. A lot of people who like their games don't end up there.

Have you even tried Horde yet via the match making system? A host is randomly picked up, so someone in the game has barely any lag, while the 4 others lag quite a bit, if the host quit the game is done, Why you think they removed the "quit match" option via the game menu? Their Matchmaking system's trying to be like Halo 3 but it's even badder.
I already stated I didn't even own a console. I was just asking why it's silly because the idea of matchmaking on top of a server browser with filters sounds good to me. Like Solid Snake and Lynx pointed out, I did not know that a server browser/filters would be unavailable. To me, a serverbrowser is so basic that I wouldn't have thought that someone would be mad enough, not to include it. Now that I know that, I happily agree with you that it's a very silly system.