UT3 (Xbox 360) Review

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
PlanetUnreal has posted its review of the Xbox 360 version of Unreal Tournament 3.

Overall, we have to recommend UT3 360 to console shooter fans. If you've played PC shooters in the past and are expecting exactly the same experience with a joypad in your living room then you might be a little disappointed. If you're one of these people then you should probably buy the PC version instead. There will always be the argument that first-person shooters started out on the PC, and that's where they'll always be at home, but games like UT3 serve to show how far the console shooter experience has come.

You'll also find their Essential Maps page has been updated.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Well one thing is definitely wrong ... UT3 has not been in existence for NINE months ... don't know where that person learned to count but he didn't apply it to this scenario. UT3 PC was released on November 19 and the PS3 version was released Dec. 11. Now since this is July 28, that would mean it has been 8 months for the PC version and a bit more than 7 for the PS3.

Also where do they get off telling people to skip the campaign ... uhh did they totally forget that by skipping the campaign you DO NOT unlock certain models (and the entire Necris Faction) for use as your character? I don't even know why they would say something that ridiculous. And yet they talk about playing it online but with less unique character options? Yeah I think they need to rewrite that portion ... and also if you are going to mention the link gun as being overpowered how do you leave out the stinger? Not a bad review but not really good either. 360 gamers if you want to be able to play as a Necris, Lauren, Matrix, etc. then play the campaign and enjoy the really great cut scenes that are almost better than CGI. Plus many 360 gamers are new to UT3 so they definitely need to play the campaign so that they can learn how to play the game before going online.

Last edited:

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
The recommendation to not play campaign mode is because in terms of single player gameplay IA is much more enjoyable. There are lots of things about Campaign mode that just aren't fun, but I listed all that stuff in the PC version review.l

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
The recommendation to not play campaign mode is because in terms of single player gameplay IA is much more enjoyable. There are lots of things about Campaign mode that just aren't fun, but I listed all that stuff in the PC version review.l

That still doesn't make sense imo since the only way to unlock characters on the 360 version is too play through the campaign ... I think you should at least point out to people that if they do this they won't be able to play as any Necris, Lauren, etc.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Well one thing is definitely wrong ... UT3 has not been in existence for NINE months ... don't know where that person learned to count but he didn't apply it to this scenario. UT3 PC was released on November 19 and the PS3 version was released Dec. 11. Now since this is July 28, that would mean it has been 8 months for the PC version and a bit more than 7 for the PS3.

Yes, because the 8 months vs 9 months technicality is worth someone getting their panties in a wad.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
Yes, because the 8 months vs 9 months technicality is worth someone getting their panties in a wad.

Please ... wrong is just wrong and if you think I am making a big deal about it thats your business ... all I know is when you are writing reviews imo you should at least get the dates right. This its close enough mentality is totally unprofessional journalism. Its that simple and saying nasty things about me won't change that. Grow up.

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Please ... wrong is just wrong and if you think I am making a big deal about it thats your business ... all I know is when you are writing reviews imo you should at least get the dates right. This its close enough mentality is totally unprofessional journalism. Its that simple and saying nasty things about me won't change that. Grow up.

I think you overreacted a little Anuban. I personally would recommend people not to play the Campaign because it detracts from the game and quite frankly it's rubbish. Yes you can unlock a couple of chars but so what? Not everyone cares about the odd extra character.

I think the reviewer was perfectly valid in his comments.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
A couple of characters? You open ALL the Necris characters, Lauren, Matrix, and one or two others ... thats a lot of characters and its crazy to tell anyone not to play the one thing that will unlock them. Lots of people want to be a Necris ... so no I don't agree ... the reviewer could have easily said "the one thing that 360 users may find useful about actually completing the campaign is the fact that it is the only method available on that platform that will unlock Akasha and the rest of Necris as well as several other popular characters like Lauren".

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site

:con:

Nasty things? All I'm saying is that you're making a mountain out of a mole hill, which seems to be par for the course. Some people prefer to simply round up on things that don't matter. That doesn't mean they're wrong. It means they're not anal retentive.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
:con:

Nasty things? All I'm saying is that you're making a mountain out of a mole hill, which seems to be par for the course. Some people prefer to simply round up on things that don't matter. That doesn't mean they're wrong. It means they're not anal retentive.

There you go again with the snide remarks. Its not about being anal retentive ... when something is incorrect its wrong ... why the big deal over this I don't know but its pretty silly to back up someone who is just wrong.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Why do most games need auto-aim on consoles.
To me, it always sounded like a lame excuse for a not good enough dead zone work with the 360 Controller. We don't need any auto-aim on console games, simply stay with a PC the guy isn't comfortable yet with a thumbstick.

Controllers aren't harder, simply different.
I'm really fed up of these auto-aim games. We don't need a program to assist us at shooting down stuff.

Auto-aim was good years ago, but now game Devs should move on from that myth.

What do you guys think about that?

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark

Rubbish, the very fact that you actually do need to practice with a thumbstick to get good at it, instantly shoots down your argument.

You don't need to practice with a mouse, you will get the feel for it within seconds of use because it's just that intuitive, aiming with a controller however, is a bit like balancing on a ball, it takes practice, because it is harder to do (that doesen't mean you can't get really awesome at it, but it took practice to get there, didn't it?).

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
They are harder, exactly because they're different. With mouse, you control how your crosshair moves by providing the game with starting and ending positions and coordinates inbetween. With controller, you control crosshair movement by sending how fast it should move and in which direction. First approach allows you to get pinpoint precision, while second is not and will never be able to. It can be compared to running vs driving respectively. While running you can stop very close to a certain line and not cross it. But when driving - theoretically you can do the same, but practically most of the time you'll be either overshooting the line or stopping to early.