BioShock Activation Limits Removed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
An official post in the 2k forums reveals that activation limits have been removed from BioShock (PC) as promised. (thanks Blue's)

Good news! As promised, all activation restrictions, including install limits, have been removed from BioShock PC as of today. You don't have to patch or install anything for this to go into effect for your copy of BioShock - it's already done!

Enjoy your time in Rapture, and thank you for supporting BioShock and the 2K teams.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Maybe this was intended from the start. I mean, if the game hadn't reached so many units sold, they would have left the limits.

cubemario

Cubely Wrath
Apr 5, 2005
Canada, Alberta, Calgary
I'm CONSIDERING getting this game since it's so cheap now and that they removed that activation stuff and I hear great things about this game. My only concern is it's content, from early trailers I saw some pretty morbid stuff (more than i'm used to), so i'm hesitant.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
should have been from the start ...

the game isn't called bioSHOCK for no reason ;)

If the game doesn't need a patch then it probably was a 'feature' with a time-limit ...
I guess they were afraid that if people knew when it would time out that they'd wait until such time before copying/buying the game.

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
Too little too late since I already own 2 copies just because I didn't see this coming yet love the game pretty much :lol:

Say is there any chance that Mass Effect will become a useful pile of software for the consumers as well anytime soon? Or should we all put our loyalty into gaming piracy and kill the PC market? Vengeance shall be ours...? Haha :p

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
A lot of people are pretty doom'n'gloom about the DRM on masseffect, so I'm hoping they remove it at some point as well. The ME developers and forum mods are pretty active on the boards and sometimes drop a comment in the DRM threads, usually along the lines of "3 activations is plenty, nobody should ever need more".
I wouldn't be surprised if both these games had it in their schedule from the start to remove it eventually, just to milk a few extra sales at release.

I still haven't checked out bioshock except for the demo. I guess now would be a good time.

Last edited:

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
I still haven't checked out bioshock except for the demo. I guess now would be a good time.

Yup since there's no more poop flying around activation and there's also that new difficulty choice offered in Patch v1.1, the one without Vita Chambers which means extra replay value (at least for me), plus if hardware upgrade'd be needed prices are just about OK for what you get for the upcoming titles and maxing out today's Rapture :)

How 2K has succeeded in getting the players attention so we wanted more background story covered was fantastic, made story telling admirable here, also all those crazy levels and graphic design! The audio is defo a strong point of the game too, makes it worth having a X-Fi sound card! Heck even that it isn't all that hardcore shooting action and may proove to be easy most of the time, I still love this game and it's 15 well spent hours :clap:

Ah, the golden era of PC gaming, 2007/2008 :D

Yes I might start to sound like a vending machine from the game now so I'll try and move along with my daily routine :lol:

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
I'm pretty sure the activation stuff left a bad taste in people's mouths already. But nice try anyway, 2K.

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
I'm pretty sure the activation stuff left a bad taste in people's mouths already. But nice try anyway, 2K.

Not only that but they left a nice SecureRom shaped turd on peoples hard disks.
This looks more like marketing than anything else ready to push BS2 onto people with even worse crap attached. With a don't worry we will disable some part of it at some time in the future sop.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't think people care about the activation as much as they care about the limited activation. Anyone who claims that "3 activations is more than enough" is simply living in an alternate reality. This isn't an OS (and Microsoft's practices are LESS Draconian than this!). This isn't a console. PC Gamers are well known for reinstalling often.

I concur with Brizz. It wasn't the online checking that bothered me. It was the limited amount of reinstalls.
If I purchase a game I should be allowed to unistall and reinstall it as many times as I wish without any hassle or having to contact the publisher and beg.

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
I don't think people care about the activation as much as they care about the limited activation. Anyone who claims that "3 activations is more than enough" is simply living in an alternate reality. This isn't an OS (and Microsoft's practices are LESS Draconian than this!). This isn't a console. PC Gamers are well known for reinstalling often.

I try to not reinstall often.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So do I, but even for me who doesn't have any time to do so, I still do it at least once a year.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
A good number of people seem to read that as "no more activation required / DRM removed". It's not. Only the limit of x activations on x PCs is removed. That's why it's a server only thing that needs no change on the client.

Still not good enough for me to buy it.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
If I'd enjoyed the demo more I would probably buy BioShock now, but the demo left me with major feelings of "meh."

Anyone know how to remove the DRM from the Spore Creature Creator when downloaded from the EA store? It's dumb having to launch an extra program for DRM purposes to play a game.

This kind of crap is why I don't buy games via Steam nor do I play the ones I do have that use it. It's annoying, and in Steam's case, it's really, really slow. Now that I know how the EA store works I won't buy from there either. D: