Mark Rein Interview

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Mark Rein shares some thoughts with Gameplayer on the Unreal Engine, Gears of War, UT3, and just games in general.
Gameplayer: So you can still enjoy the game from a consumer point of view – you’re not jaded by the whole thing?

Mark Rein: Hell, no! I played Stranglehold, and loved that. I’m going to play CoD4 and am really looking forward to it. And I’m going to play a lot of UT. UT is my number one game because that’s the game I love to play the most so I will be playing that quite a bit [Okay Mark, we believe you]. We’ll be playing against some of the fans as well on Gears of War. But the funny thing is, Gears has made me into more of a console gamer. I’ve just got used to the whole shooter mechanic on console – I’ve also been playing Halo 3.

The keyboard and mouse thing is so fast – movement is just smoother with the joypad. I’ve been going around demoing UT on PS3 and I’m slowly falling in love with console gaming. It’s almost blasphemous to say because it’s such a great PC game, right?

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Well he isn't the youngest anymore either which explains why the "keyboard and mouse is too fast" for him and he has to resort to the more relaxed joypad.

So we'll cut the old man some slack. ;P

BigDragon

Jan 20, 2008
Reston, VA
I told ya so. "PC is secondary" is an idea that's penetrated Epic's management. It's not localized to just Cliff.

So when is that "cool stuff" and "contest" coming, Mark? The rumor mill says there will be no MSUC for UT3 but there may be a Sony-sponsored PS3 cooking contest if sales figures hit a certain almost-out of reach milestone.

BOiNG

Games for your mum
Jan 22, 2008
Just seems like these are all just subtle little hints leading up to the inevitable.
Would anyone be at all surprised if Epic announce they are stopping making PC titles? I don't think anyone would be surprised at all. :)
(Evil tongues might say they stopped making real PC games with UT 2004) ;)

And Big Dragon, when Epic says that UT3 is on par with sales from the old releases I'm pretty sure they don't mean just PC sales. It's the PS3 sales which are putting it on par with the previous titles.

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
"The keyboard and mouse thing is so fast" - too fast for Marky. Console UT3 isn't any smoother than PC UT3, it's just slower. He should try the slomo mutator instead, but then again there has to be a reason for the UT200x taunt "You're worse than Mark Rein."

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Translation: "If I played against people of the community on UT3 for PC, I'd get my arse thrashed into oblivion."

H

hockeywarrior

Wow... this is BLASPHEMOUS! Has the whole world gone MAD??

Even the guys who MADE our beloved UT are being consolified???

I think it's the Crab People at work at this one guys... the only logical explanation.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
Mark Rein Interview
by hal at 4:23 PM EST (General Site News)
8 Comments / Permalink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark Rein shares some thoughts with Gameplayer on the Unreal Engine, Gears of War, UT3, and just games in general.
Gameplayer: So you can still enjoy the game from a consumer point of view – you’re not jaded by the whole thing?

Mark Rein: Hell, no! I played Stranglehold, and loved that. I’m going to play CoD4 and am really looking forward to it. And I’m going to play a lot of UT. UT is my number one game because that’s the game I love to play the most so I will be playing that quite a bit [Okay Mark, we believe you]. We’ll be playing against some of the fans as well on Gears of War. But the funny thing is, Gears has made me into more of a console gamer. I’ve just got used to the whole shooter mechanic on console – I’ve also been playing Halo 3.

The keyboard and mouse thing is so fast – movement is just smoother with the joypad. I’ve been going around demoing UT on PS3 and I’m slowly falling in love with console gaming. Ok I admit it, I want to marry a console. It’s almost blasphemous to say because I used to be a PC kinda guy, right?

STOP THE MADNESS!!!

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
and here we go again?

ps, did you know Mike Capps, Cliff Blezinsky, Mark Rein are actual real normal human beings. No seriously, they are really humans. Also, their opinions are often their opinions and not Epic business strategies.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I told ya so. "PC is secondary" is an idea that's penetrated Epic's management. It's not localized to just Cliff.

So when is that "cool stuff" and "contest" coming, Mark? The rumor mill says there will be no MSUC for UT3 but there may be a Sony-sponsored PS3 cooking contest if sales figures hit a certain almost-out of reach milestone.
I'd say I hope you're joking.

But it's been made very clear that you are not joking. :(

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I, for one, do NOT welcome our console overlords! :mad:

Oh, well. I've always said consoles would take over once they got interbutts, so it's not like this mass migration is unexpected.

Gaming is easier and cheaper on consoles for both players and developers. It's kind of like a standard transmission vs. an automatic, I suppose. The standard will always be there for the niche that care, but damn near everyone else will be going automatic.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
In a way though, he's right. While webgames are for people who spend all day "surfing" and don't really know anything about computers, he has a point about what people do on PCs. PC games aren't really dying, but there's a paradigm shift going on- PC is still the ideal platform for MMOs- Release an MMO on a console, and once you realize the limits of the console, the game cant easily grow and add new content, even if support is added for a newer generation console, because you cant improve the game without forcing people to buy the new console- Whereas a bigger hard drive or a new video card might be all it takes on a PC. Even a high-end video card doesn't cost as much as a PS3. Several MMOs have recieved (optional) graphical upgrades in the form of higher resolution texture packs or dynamic detail based on your specs over the years of the game's life. In short, putting an MMO on a console may effectively put a limit on its lifespan. Many RTS games, like UT games, depend on custom content for their longevity, which is why at least up til now they still are preferred to be on PC.

Also I dont know about oyu, but M&K support on a console isnt a real threat. How many people can comfortably use a mouse while sitting on their couch with a keyboard in their lap? You really need a desk for a mouse and keyboard.

Spank$hot_BT

Feb 11, 2008
Epic simply realised that PC users would much rather be whining on forums than playing good games. So between UT3 and Rein & CliffyBs comments they're actually doing us a favour. Who said PC users weren't their priority? ;) :rolleyes:

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Even a high-end video card doesn't cost as much as a PS3.

Actually that is not true ... the GTX and Ultra both cost more than a 40GB PS3 and so does the just released ATI dual GPU card. Heck a new OCed GTS cost as much. So really people sometimes really do have to make a choice whether to buy a PS3 or a high end vid card for their PC gaming. I know I had to think about it when I was rebuilding my PC completely from top to bottom ... and in the end I went with PC Gaming at that time. Now I have the PS3 and I still find myself playing UT3 far far more on the PC ... but for those times when I do want the big screen experience it is nice to have UT3.