I'm tired of spending time making sh*t already

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should I keep going with ONS-Tricky-FragBU?

• Yes

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Ok, sorry I have to vent here. I'm tired of spending time making stuff if it doesn't end up getting used. It's happened twice already. Let's see...

#1: I made UT2k4 Message Colorizer, and then Epic had to f*ck me over by disabling the color escapes, making this useless for UT2k4 and later UE2 games.

#2: I made Roulette Pickups for the BuF BP2, and I didn't notice until today that it didn't make the final cut for the FragBU Bonus Pack. I say I didn't notice until today because nobody even said a single word about it being dropped. After making improvements (and getting Slayer's permission, because some of his code is in there), I'm releasing it myself eventually.

Now there's the case of ONS-Tricky-FragBU, which is currently in progress. People have been pushing me to make this ever since the UT2k4 ECE has come out, and recently (last weekend) I've finally seriously begun work on it. But is anyone gonna play it? Because if I'm gonna be the only one playing it, I don't think it's gonna be worth the effort of me continuing work on it and finishing it up.

So do you want it or not?

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
People make stuff all the time that doesn't get used. Just look at all the mods that people worked on that never got finished because no one cared.

As far as the new Tricky goes, I'll probably play it a few times like the original, but after it's lost its appeal I'll get tired of it and leave the server if it comes up. :)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Don't look at me :p

I hate Tricky, it's very pointless because people will only want to do tricks in it.
I don't know what's the deal for the FBU editon though.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
I'd play it. I don't usually vote Tricky becasue DP tries to vote it early on when the server is full, and I know it will empty the server out. I'd play though when it gets later and most people know the rules and the server won't empty.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
On the contrary, it should probably be voted early on, at least once it goes through its initial few times being played. There was hardly anyone on the server between 7-10pm yesterday, the perfect time for a few people to get in there and trick around on it. When it gets around 12-2am I and many others are expecting some good CTF games, and I think voting it late would definitely clear the server.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The only times I really have had fun on Tricky:

- The first couple of times I "played" it. By "played" I mean just screwed around with jumps

- The first couple of times we really tried to get some air with grenades off the top of the tower

- The first couple of times we played with that mutator that made the vehicles really really jumpy.

Any other time I just play "sniper wars" with Kes or someone while everyone drives around in vehicles.

The problem is, once you've done a few tricks, there really isn't a lot to entertain. If you remake Tricky, it should be really wacky - semi-low-grav - or something. Maybe open up the arena more.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
If you learned something from trying to make/finish it, then it's worth something. If only you're figuring out your likes/dislikes in a hobby.

If it's frustrating and you don't enjoy it then quit, try something else.

I think it takes years for most people to figure out a hobby they'll stick with, there's nothing wrong with trying lots of different stuff.

I'm kinda like that, I'll pick something up and by the time I figure out how to do it I'm bored with it and want to do something else.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
I've been sceptical about an increased tricky in the first place. For this, I bring two reasons:
* more possible (and higher) jumps doesn't mean the matches will be more fun. It's fun to launch vehicles; jumping them further doesn't increase the factor mentionably.
* even though (the original) Tricky has better gameplay than eg. Torlan, nobody will play it. The map will be opened to jump around in, but that'll be it. In time, the gimmick will subside and the map won't do much more than fill up hard disk space. Now that I think of it...is Tricky still being "played" on fragBU lately?

Sorry if this sounds harsh, Hyru. If you only want to make the map so others can play it (which seems like the purpose), then I don't think you should finish working on the map. However, if you want to learn about unrealEd, then a project like this will be much more rewarding than something like making a ONS-Subtractedcube map.

Hyrulian Hero said:
#1: I made UT2k4 Message Colorizer, and then Epic had to f*ck me over by disabling the color escapes, making this useless for UT2k4 and later UE2 games.
Not entirely true. UTComp still uses the very same colorcodes, so the program still holds some value.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Tricky was NEVER played seriously at FragBU. In fact, what happened is each team would grab their first two nodes, the center node (for the most part) would be left alone, and the game would go into overtime with the slowest possible draining time to maximize the match's length. The whole point of this remake is to make it Tricky-er with bigger jumps, more vehakals, and... uh... stuff.

Exfinite

I am simple, therefore this is simple.
Jul 31, 2004
[Censored]
There have actually been several rogue factions who HAVE played it seriously. We annihilated those factions as quickly as possible, though.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Hanover_Fist said:
I'm kinda like that, I'll pick something up and by the time I figure out how to do it I'm bored with it and want to do something else.
ONS-City? :D

Shroom-FX said:
Any map with trickjumping is gonna be raped by me, and thats a guarentee!
\o/

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Nereid said:
ONS-City? :D

:biggrin2: yes, among other things.

I certainly bit off more than I could chew with that 'project'. However, I don't see it as a failure as I learned a lot about static meshes/textures and mapping.
And I've got a great deal more respect for 'good' maps and other such projects and the people that make them. ;)

Try mapping/meshing sometime, you'll see what I mean.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
If you are going to remake it, you might want to add some more detail, like adding fans to the grandstands or something.

But if you look closely behind the 'Tower of Doom', you will find the only person who came to watch the competition; Gorge's fan that he 'killed' in the UT20003 intro.
;)

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Renegade Retard said:
/me is waiting on Han to finish his race car skin.

this stupid thing?

Seriously, even if I did finish it you can barely tell one player from another because of the player scale. The only time you can see anything on a player is when you open it up in some kind of editor. Or when you've won a map and you get to see the winner close up......and you know you aren't going to win any maps...

<3;)

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
If you make it, they will play, Hy.

Well, I'll play it anyway, and I'll mute every crybaby that whines about it!

And I agree, trick that map out! Gimme some good manta trick stuff, too!
Go nuts, follow your heart, and it'll be a great map dude.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I'd rather NOT see anymore Gorge fans in the stands... The framerates on that map are pretty bad as-is, and I think filling the stands will destory them outright. :)