Integrated CPU on GPU?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I heard there will be some video card, in the future that will have a little procecor included on it. Is it true? And if it is, when it will be released on the market?

Having a good CPU and GPU is one thing, but the GPU will always demend on the CPU.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Not exactly. There was talk of the Ageia PhysX processor being built onto graphics cards, which may still be the idea but no word about them yet. The other thing I saw was some research into using the GPU as a secondary processor to speed up matrix transformations and such calculations... they managed to get 5x the speed of a P4 using it ;).

Sahkolihaa

Ow...
Dec 29, 2004
England
I think you're talking about the work ATI are doing on getting applications to run on the GPU. Yes, soon we'll be able to run software off the GPU since a GPU can be upto 50x faster than the CPU, and it also has it's texture memory to use as RAM for the software.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
But then, Nvidia will come up with something like this.

5X the speed of a p4? That's kinda what we will need to run ut2007 :p

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
some people are running folding@home programs on the GPU,(NVidia included) never understood how they got it to do it myself, but a GPU is a CPU in it`s own right. Just more finely tuned for it`s purpose.