Response on Warfare

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zenny

I'm gonna steal your girlfriend.
Mar 14, 2003
Washington DC
One of the points in RaptoR's recent article, 8 Ways To Screw Up UT2007, was the downgrade in ambition for the "Warfare" gametype. In an Atari forums post about the article, "War_Tourist", a producer at Epic, has responded to these concerns:
We're still in the "trying crazy ideas" phase, so it's premature to say any particular feature is cut or in. If it's fun it stays. If it's not fun it's cut. The mistake was talking about features that only existed on paper publically ;-).
A little disheartening, but I trust Epic to deliver the best product they can and if that means cutting out fancy features in favor of fun, then so be it.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Hopefully the final concept for Conquest that Epic will put in UT2007 will be walking alongside, or searing above the expectations of the community. I'd hate to see this next installment bashed because a new game mode doesn't live up to expectations. Best of luck wishes to Epic to make Conquest and UT2007 better than we expect!

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
Zenny said:
A little disheartening, but I trust Epic to deliver the best product they can and if that means cutting out fancy features in favor of fun, then so be it.

Call me crazy, but I didn't think Epic had anything to do with this game. Digital Extremes is behind this joint.

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
Well, there is a huge gaping hole in the market for the franchise that Vivendi-Universal seemingly ruined... namely Tribes. The 'Warfare' gametype could attempt to take advantage of that.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Deadpool_1-0 said:
Call me crazy, but I didn't think Epic had anything to do with this game. Digital Extremes is behind this joint.

It has all been Epic. Digital Extremes Has just made a few maps and helped out here and their. Their maps are labeled with "DE" in front of them.

C

Churl

I don't see what's disheartening about them saying they're not committed to any features that aren't fun. Besides, a more modest gametype may be easier for the map making community to support.

{RA}SKYFURNACE

Game Mapper & Press
Apr 17, 2004
actually Epic didnt come up with Onslaught a third party did, they came up with the idea and "proved" it to Epic.

Psyonix: The Onslaught game type design and implementation, with 6 new vehicles, 4 new weapons (grenade launcher, spider mine layer, Anti Vehicle Rocket Launcher (AVRiL), and the Phoenix target painter), and the energy turret. They also created seven Onslaught maps, and collaborated with Streamline Studios on the popular map ONS-Torlan. Finally, they made the new model for the Translocator.

http://www.psyonix.com/htmlsite.html

when you go to their site youll see:

Welcome to Psyonix Studios
Developers of "Onslaught" for Unreal Tournament 2004

well what if anything.,.. Epic can do with "Warefare" i have a feeling... its not going to be too much diff than what onslaught is now...

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
This is great news. Think about it: they are not sticking to a concrete design-up-front, it sounds like they are going to "evolve" the new gametype. Just throw around ideas, try whats fun and reject the crap stuff. Tell me how could this possibly be a bad thing? If they design some grand gametype up front like the original ideas of "Conquest" and just make the game exactly like that, then play it and find out its not quite as fun as it first sounded, thats just stoopid.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
How this could be a bad thing ?
*eh* Duke Nukem Forever ... that's why.
Consider that the game needs to be released *this* year (or by Christmas at its latest).
There isn't exactly much room to throw ideas around and/or evolve a new gametype into something playable.

As for Warfare/Conquest becoming Onslaught+ ... I had already thought that was going to happen anyway because the WarfareConquest-concept seemed a bit too big and thus a bit too "unreal" (consider how difficult assault-maps are for example, Warfare-maps still don't sound any easier) ...

P

punisher

this "warfare" could be just f...m mutoator, its just connected ONS maps :/

crazy ideas, why they canceled "conquest", i was so damn excited it :(

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I'm kinda hoping ConquestWarfareBananas does do poorly, provided sales remain high, so people will stop playing with vehakals and start learning how to play (T)DM and CTF. :eek:

[Pain]Nightmare said:
It has all been Epic. Digital Extremes Has just made a few maps and helped out here and their. Their maps are labeled with "DE" in front of them.
So you're saying DE only has three maps in UT2004? Way to know what you're talking about. :lol::tup: