Gears of War Screens and Video

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Thank God It's Vendredi!

To celebrate, we present new screens for Gears of War, courtesy of the French website JeuxVideo:
Gears Of War sur Xbox 360 revient une fois de plus avec ces visuels de toute beauté.
Which I am told roughly translates to, "these screens look pretty sweet, so be sure and clean the drool off the monitor when you're done".

Correction: the video is the older one shown last year by Microsoft. References to it have been removed with apologies.

Update: Epic Vice President Mark Rein has weighed in on the subject, disavowing the images as being either concept art, Unreal Engine 3 tech demos, or screen shots dating back as far as 2004. So take from these images what you will, add about 18 months of development time in your mind, and you have a fair idea of where GoW stands at this time.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I only see the screens! No movie, except a 128x64 movie, which was shown at E3'05? Where is the movie!? MOOVIE :OOOooo

mackey

Cometh the apocalypse.
Aug 27, 2004
England
www.fpscentral.com
Shrimp said:
That first screen is in-game and real-time?? Looks like a concept artwork.

/me cleans the drool off the monitor

Yeah I thought it was concept art too, very very nice concept art too.. :)

This game is looking nice, nice scary guy in the last pic too.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
W0RF said:
"these screens look pretty sweet, so be sure and clean the drool of the monitor when you're done".

Yeah well to be more exact the real translation would be

Gears Of War sur Xbox 360 revient une fois de plus avec ces visuels de toute beauté.

"Gears Of War on Xbox 360 is back once again with amazing visuals"

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Kantham said:
Yeah well to be more exact the real translation would be
"Gears Of War on Xbox 360 is back once again with amazing visuals"

Vous les Québecois aimez tellement le français non? Allez-y à vos chauds chiens et vos stops qui indiquent "ARRÊT" de grosses lèttres ;) ;)

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
it was nothing but a trip to BabelFish for me.
which, like AltaVista and even the Google translator, is blocked from my office. No translation service that I looked up was allowed by the network firewall. I did get a PM from another member with the proper translation before I wrote the first word of the article.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
W0RF said:
which, like AltaVista and even the Google translator, is blocked from my office. No translation service that I looked up was allowed by the network firewall. I did get a PM from another member with the proper translation before I wrote the first word of the article.
no no, I'm not saying you should have used BabelFish, I'm just saying that not having a proper translation (in my hands) left any "tongue-in-cheek" humor out of my reach.
(I actually thought your translation was the proper one, lol)
________
EFFECTS OF ZOLOFT

Last edited:

Mark Rein [Epic]

Dec 8, 2004
Those images suck

Here's what I wrote earlier on Evilavatar.com on this topic:

These are very old images, mostly from our internal PR Kick-off meeting with Microsoft back in December 2004. They were never intended for release and they don't come anywhere close to representing what the game looks like today. In fact some of those images don't represent the game AT ALL! The grassy field images are from our GDC 2004 Unreal Engine 3 demo and NOT from Gears! That is TWO YEAR OLD engine demo content we showed to Microsoft PR people to give them an early flavor of what the tech could do. As you can probably guess we're pretty unhappy that these crappy images have surfaced. Unfortunately this isn't the first time our publisher has released content not intended for release and it feels like a punch in the gut every time it happens.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
no no, I'm not saying you should have used BabelFish, I'm just saying that not having a proper translation (in my hands) left any "tongue-in-cheek" humor out of my reach.
(I actually thought your translation was the proper one, lol)
oic, I read you wrong.

No, it's not a verbatim translation, and while it's not too far removed from the usual fawning and glowing adjectives that websites tend to use when pimping an upcoming game, my intent was to draw attention to the screens (which look quite nice IMO) and sort of take a humourous swipe at myself as the ignorant uncultured American who can't be bothered to know what the web page really says. Plus, I figured it would be a little better received than if I had posted something like 'allo, we are ze cheese-eating surrender monkeys, but we like ze video games almost as much as ze Jerree Lewees, oh hoh hoh.
Mark Rein said:
Here's what I wrote earlier on Evilavatar.com on this topic:

These are very old images, mostly from our internal PR Kick-off meeting with Microsoft back in December 2004. They were never intended for release and they don't come anywhere close to representing what the game looks like today. In fact some of those images don't represent the game AT ALL! The grassy field images are from our GDC 2004 Unreal Engine 3 demo and NOT from Gears! That is TWO YEAR OLD engine demo content we showed to Microsoft PR people to give them an early flavor of what the tech could do. As you can probably guess we're pretty unhappy that these crappy images have surfaced. Unfortunately this isn't the first time our publisher has released content not intended for release and it feels like a punch in the gut every time it happens.
Once again we are the victims of our own extensive coverage. If that's what you posted on EvilAvatar, then chances are we're just one of a number of sites you've been to, clarifying the nature of these screens, true?

Good of you to drop by, it's always uplifting to know we're still on the radar. :)

Also, feel free to email fresh screens from your latest build exclusively to news@beyondunreal.com. :)

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
MediocreTangerine said:
Vous les Québecois aimez tellement le français non? Allez-y à vos chauds chiens et vos stops qui indiquent "ARRÊT" de grosses lèttres ;) ;)

Jaime mieu dire Hot Dog que Chien chaud personellement oui.