Reviewed: my new apartment

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
It’s been a quiet time of the year for writing. The guides have all been written. The 3SPN mapping contest is in its last round. And Insite is still down when it comes to mirror the maps. The reviewer in me has fairly nothing to do. Until now…for those who didn’t know: I moved into this new apartment. Lemme tell you all about it…

I’m not that experienced with R.L. apartments, but this current sample follows the basic rules for layout. The average apartment consists of a bunch of square or rectangular rooms that are usually grouped so the general shape of the whole has more or less a similar shape. These places are terrible when it comes to flow and Z-axis is simply non-existent.

What? You think this sounds boring? Think again…I haven’t spoken about the visuals yet. The walls are white, with a wooden offset in the main corridor. Eight of the doors are in simple beige; the other 3 have windows in them that improve visibility (also a beige background, though. The mapper really needs to use more packages). There are only two factors that make this map reasonable. The main one is that it can be customized: adding and removing stuff is far simpler than in UnrealEd, though it takes more physical effort. The other factor is the skybox: we have a pwning panoramic view over the Antwerpian outskirts (‘we’ is my roommate and me, btw. I’m joining his server here).

Texturing is pretty bad. There was a huge misalignment in my room, so I had to spend the weekend to retexture(1) it with my dad. The result is a pale yellow room, surrounded by small wooden beams that are as blue as the UT2004 interface. We deleted the visuals on the dining room wall as well because they were ugly. Since the default wall-texture isn’t pretty either, we’re gonna hire someone to make it into something beautiful (we haven’t decided, but I vote for something from DM-Ironic).

apartment.jpg

The last couple days, I commuted a lot between to move all my static meshes(2) to my new home. The worst part was getting it up here (this is the 10th floor…11th if you consider the ground floor to be “floor nr. 1”), because the elevator and the corridors are cramped! At least the regulars(3) were very polite. Anyway…it’s only now that things are settling down. As you can see on the picture, my room is only 195 to 434 unreal units(4). Still, I managed to fill it with my daily respawn point(5), desk+computer, armory(6), bedside cabinet and 2 carpets (an obligatory item for members of the Carpet Imperium clan ;) ). Though the item placement is still in a beta status, I’ve done enough playtesting to say that this is how the final level will look and play… :)

(1) paint
(2) furniture
(3) other inhabitants on the block
(4) centimeters
(5) bed
(6) wardrobe

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
:lol::lol: Awesome! Agreed with the screenshots.

BTW, just because we can't post any reviews at the moment doesn't mean you should stop writing them. ;) Actually, we should put this on Insite while we're down since it requires no uploads. :D

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Oops...totally forgot to add the blueprint :eek:

I wish I could give photos, but I can't. I don't have a digital camera in here :hmm:

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
Aw man, that was great! One of the funniest things I have read in quite a while, I burst out laughing a number of times. Thanks for that suite review! All I was left wondering is if this one to keep on your hard drive or not. ;)

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Man... those bases are damn close. Those flag caps must be pretty fast...

Good thing there were movers going up to your base... moving all those static meshes up the stairs would be tough work! ;) It'd be even nicer if those movers didn't have ceilings and if they were faster... so you could liftjump up :)

Last edited:

dXII][Pa

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Jan 3, 2004
:lol:

One of the best reviews I've ever read!

So, when you go out and meet girls, does it ever happend that you use the line "wanna go home to my base for some capture the flag eh"?

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
LooseCannon said:
Bot support?
Hmm...well, we got 2 animals around here: my beo (a bird) is pretty much restricted to a single location, yet makes the most sound of all the inhabitants (anyone got a tweak for that?). The other one is a cat that has some very weird bot pathing (yesterday he spend almost an hour camping underneath and behind my bed).
LooseCannon said:
Download link?
What? How dare you! This is a retail apartment! Go get your own one!
LooseCannon said:
Date and time of appartment-warming party?
Everyone's free to join: I'm hosting it as a pub tonight. Free health vials for everyone \o/

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
dXII][Pa said:
So, when you go out and meet girls, does it ever happend that you use the line "wanna go home to my base for some capture the flag eh"?

"Hey see that guy out there? He can type 5 times his internet aliase at once. Would you get out with him?"

:lol:

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
dXII][Pa said:
If she's into it, convert the map for some cdom. Or invite your roommate into the mix for some ddom :mwink: