Perception Fires Back At JoWooD

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
After Stargate SG-1: The Alliance publisher JoWooD publicly admonished [story] developer Perception and announced that they would be shopping the title to a new developer because of "quality issues", a response has been issued that may see the tables turned.
PERCEPTION CLARIFIES THE STATUS OF STARGATE SG-1: THE ALLIANCE

Sydney, Australia, 12th of August, 2005; Perception Pty Ltd would like to rectify certain statements that have been made to the press by JoWooD Productions. To be clear, Perception is the official licensee of MGM on Stargate SG-1: The Alliance. Any suggestion that JoWooD has rights to Stargate SG-1: The Alliance upon termination of the contract is incorrect and not based on commercial or legal fact.

Development on the game will continue uninterrupted at Perception’s Sydney studio. Perception is committed to giving fans the best gaming experience possible.

Ben Lenzo, CEO of Perception said, “We view it as unfortunate that JoWooD would elect to make such misleading and libelous comments to the media and the marketplace. Over the last 9 months, JoWooD has openly acknowledged being in breach of contract in a number of areas including many legal and confidentiality breaches as well as several financial defaults for work performed by Perception and accepted by JoWooD.”

Perception has tried to work with JoWooD to resolve these issues for months but to no avail. This resulted in several breach notices being served on JoWooD, giving them ample time to remedy. As these newest issues had not been resolved by the August 5th 2005, Perception gave notice that all outstanding issues would need to be resolved by Monday August 8th 2005, or Perception would terminate its contract with JoWooD.

“It’s disappointing to hear of this so called termination via the press on the basis of a “get in first” tactic. This further suggests that JoWooD do not understand the terms of the contract. We are not surprised by their behavior or lack of appreciation for the goodwill Perception has afforded JoWooD on many occasions,” said Lenzo

Perception has begun personal prosecution proceedings against both the CEO, Albert Seidl and the Chairman of the Supervisory Board of JoWooD, Andreas Rudas, for the libelous comments made in their press release and will use all legal remedies available to it for the substantial monies owed to it by JoWooD.

“Perception will not allow its name to be tarnished in such a manner and view such matters extremely seriously and will always protect the reputation of our staff, our products, licensing partners and the company.”

Perception will not discuss any further the outstanding issues with JoWooD in public as legal action is underway. We look forward to the release of Stargate SG-1: The Alliance.

Desp2/ROG

Mar 5, 2004
Jersey
www.planetunreal.com
Who ever is right should win by the law. I am not siding with anyhow. Who knows what is going on. To be honest many things in that press release should not have been mentioned like accusing JoWood of other acts and saying that JoWood has recognized such acts before this big problem hit with the canceling. Both seem really ticked off with each other to some point and are releasing tooo much info and blaming each other for things. The truth might lie in the middle of both claims. It takes two for crap to go wrong. I do not believe one or the other is the victim entirely especially with those kind of claims being thrown about in the public like this.

Edit:

I assume...

Intill this is dealt in court the game will not be able to be released. Sure Perception can keep on doing the game and even finish it... But also no publisher will want to get close to them to release it. I am sure to some degree the judge can suspend all work from being done on that game till the case is finalized.

Last edited:

Yoshiro

Jul 22, 2003
Visit site
And the mud has been let fly. It will be intresting to see how this settles legally if Perception is the owner.

UnrealProjects

"Your Hired!"
Apr 10, 2004
www.lawdogs-mod.com
My older post about this predicted right...... JoWood has some personal problems they need to get organized and need to be more proffesional handling the matter. Both sides need to sit down and look this over and come to a truce. Whatever personal problems happened between them should be trashed and start working together like a real team.

U

Unregistered

Go Perception!...I glanced at their screenies and trailers it looked awesome i was pist when i heard jo wood wasnt satisfied

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
BWAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ROFL @ JoWood.

Trying to extort money from Perception when they themselves owe a lot, and trying to claim the license.

While it's probably not such a great idea to drag all this out in public, I think Perception are justified in doing so, after the public and uncalled for raping they got from JoWood. They need to show they were not in the wrong.

After JoWood's first press release, any developer signing up with them in the future would have to be pretty crazy. After Perception's release, any developer would have to be really, really desperate and crazy to sign up with JoWood.

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
I'm starting to get the indication this has to do primarily with the game not being done for August. Jawood apparently seems to think that games don't slip past planned shipping dates. Makes me wonder if they are sweating and REALLY need the cash to flow in quick. It would explain the statement of them demanding money back from the developers.

Heisher

Ooo, suits you sir!
Oct 18, 2000
Edinburgh, UK
www.heisher.net
executer99 said:
Makes me wonder if they are sweating and REALLY need the cash to flow in quick. It would explain the statement of them demanding money back from the developers.
A bit short sighted on JoWood's part if that's the case; look at what they've got themselves into now. A potential laughing stock in the publishing and developer communities for what seems to be a blatant lack of professionalism at the least and libel and other breaches of contract at the worst. Either way, they don't come out this looking like a trustworthy and professional organisation from whatever point of view you look at it. :(

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
"JoWooD had to face the fact that the present technical status of the development makes a completion of the project by Perception within the contractually agreed time limit (end of August 2005) definitely impossible," JoWood said in a second statement on Friday. "This assessment is supported by an external expertise which confirms the severe defects in the areas of visualisation, animations, audio and light effects of the development project already brought up by JoWooD months ago. Three weeks ahead of the contractually planned target date the versions for the major platforms Playstation 2 as well as Xbox are extremely unstable and face severe performance issues." In other words... They are not done on time.

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
Exacly. Cause as we all know, every other developer always gets there stuff out on time. Especially when they claim two weeks... :)