BR and AS maps

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
I'm pretty new to 2k4 and I just love Bombing Run, though from the paucity of BR maps I seem to be in the minority. Hard to believe, since it's really a hell of a lot of fun, and there are many CTF maps already made which would translate perfectly. How hard is it to convert? I don't know the first thing about UED3, but I think I could manage to swap the relevant actors myself. Is there much that needs to be changed with the bot pathing? I'd like to know more about this.

Assault is a great gametype too -- I mean UT1 Assault. I always felt that turrets ruined an AS map unless used very sparingly, but now they seem to be mandatory in 2k4 AS. I don't like it at all. Nor do I like the whole "shoot or stand on the objective for 2 minutes" setup, or the CPU-hogging/FPS-eating vehicles. The thing is, nothing's stopping anyone (except me for lack of skill) from making classic style AS maps for 2k4. Looking at Nalicity, though, all the AS maps (what few there are) look like new style maps. Which must mean that people like 2k4-flavor AS. I find that hard to believe too, but there's no accounting for tastes. Does anyone know of any old-school AS maps that I'm just not seeing? Or could someone make me some good old-fashioned AS maps for my new toy ;) ?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
To get CTF maps to work as BR, there really isn't anything you have to do other than place the ball spawn (xBallSpawn) somewhere and change the flags to goals (xBombDelivery). After you rebuild the paths bots should know what to do. However, if you want them to shoot the ball from certain spots, you'll have to place "shoot from here" actors (Red/BlueShootSpot) in the relevant places. All of these are found under NavigationPoint in the class tree.

Have you see the UT2004 remake of Guardia? http://www.ut2003hq.com/downit2.php?ID=5537

Osaka is pretty old-schoolish. No vehicles or anything. Just running through doors and stuff. http://insite.beyondunreal.com/map.php?id=987

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
nuttella said:
I'm pretty new to 2k4 and I just love Bombing Run, though from the paucity of BR maps I seem to be in the minority. Hard to believe, since it's really a hell of a lot of fun, and there are many CTF maps already made which would translate perfectly. How hard is it to convert? I don't know the first thing about UED3, but I think I could manage to swap the relevant actors myself. Is there much that needs to be changed with the bot pathing? I'd like to know more about this.
I think you better talk to Papabear...He converted many maps to BR maps...even other BR maps, and runs/runned them on their server. Orgalthorpse, or something (it's been a long time since I've joined it...mainly 'cause it's a USA server and I'm from the EU) :hmm:

I agree that BR is a very fun gametype (still my favorite), but thus far, I've only had decent games on retail maps...and Jolt's BR place only has 1 custom map (BR-Grendelkeep).

PapaBear

Old. Very Old.
Oct 26, 2003
SF Bay Area, CA
www.whatacharacter.net
Heh, I've done over 200 of them now. And, I have another 30+ sitting in my "To Be Modified" folder that I'll be looking into converting (and see if they're any good as BR maps).

Not only do you have to place a bomb spawn and goals, but you also have to change the game type in the Level Properties to xGame.XBombingRun (I can't tell you how many times I've seen converted CTF maps [from DM, mainly] where the "re-mapper" hasn't changed the level properties...)

FYI, I typically remove bot pathing -- to decrease build times. My intention is for them to be played on a server without bots turned on anyway. Keep in mind that if you do this, you'll have to fix most map's jumppad "paths" since they're usually set up using PathNodes (instead of JumpDest as I change them to).

Sometimes, I'll also rearrange weapon layouts, change lighting and fix and map errors that I can.

For a good US BR server, try Crazy_Uncle_Bob's at: 205.234.167.195 The evening players are all quite good...