Is there anybody who doesn't like Onslaught?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Denny

Engulfed In Flames
Mar 19, 2005
Offline playing with bots :/
Now before we go on, please, this isn't a flame post! I don't want anyone to twist my words around here (it's happened before, so that's why i'm putting this first [No offense to those who mistook my words before]), this is merely meant to be a survey of sorts. I DO NOT hate Onslaught mode, in fact it's pretty fun, i mean it's vehicular combat and a decent game mode.

In any case, is there anybody out there who can honestly say they dislike Onslaught mode? It's always been a question i've wanted to ask, but wasn't sure of the feedback i'd recieve. Well because all i see is people say they like UT2K4 for Onslaught mode (which is fine, and understandable) but i wonder if people like UT2K4 in other areas besides Onslaught.

Please guys, no flaming, try to keep things civil even if someone says they don't like it.

Tenkken

Prizemoney
Oct 4, 2004
New York City
I'm pretty open to all gametypes, except dm (boring imo). I enjoy playing a decent 6v6 pug game of onslaught where strategies are imposed, but I can't take huge pubs. Nothing but rushing to the node and misuse of vehicles.

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
It's fun at fragbu, but then again anything is fun as fragbu as long as it loads and gets 35 fps. Otherwise I hate it. It's just no fun on pubs or in matches.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
Onslaught was fun in the demo days. It actually got me to buy ut2k4. And Conquest in ut2k7 is going to rock. I wouldn't want vehicles in a point gametype, atleast, not for competitive purposes, but vehicles play well in a gametype that is about holding and expanding your territory.

All that said, I'm actually thinking of deleting all my ONS and AS maps, because they run really bad on this comp, like 6-23 fps when I don't have anyother apps running at the sametime.

It was real fun freecamera mode spectating FragBU games on Dawn. After the demo days, I think FragBU is the only time I really have played ONS or AS.

Last edited:

Old Gil

°J2°'s resident lagger
Jun 20, 2004
im not that big of a fan of ONS... it would be better, but im just not a fan of the vehicle sin UT2004 for some reason. i know im gonna get flamed for this, but i think halo did the vehicles really really well. i used to play halo all the time with my freind, and it was great going to the base in bloodgulch, and taking the warthog and climbing places im not sposed to go (kind of like trickjumping, with a big vehicle). some of the vehicles in UT2004 just dont feel like they do much... im not sure, but i think HALO handled the vehicles alot smoother than UT did. but in the non vehicle gametypes id give it to UT2004

Hydrus

is lost
Jul 19, 2004
It's terrible, everyone rushing for vechiles and such - gives me flashbacks of the airfields in '42.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
ONS is an awesome gametype, there are just a few things holding it back.

Personally, I think VDM would have fixed a great many problems that ONS has. Give the newer players, a less structured arena to fool with vehicles in. There should be a progression, and do to dimension in gameplay, it should progress VDM > VCTF > ONS.

Slowly introducing more depth as you move up, and give you time to aquaint yourslef with vehicles, and for some new new players, the weaopns. I think pub ONS give the gametype a bad name, because of just how new some players there are. Most of them might have gotten this game because of the addition of large scale vehicle combat, and they didn't even play enough DM to know what a shock combo is.

As well, most of the competative DM crowd won't like it because it's focus is more on frag skills and global awareness, and not timing and control. They also don't like having to watch their backs and contest multiple attackers in what they consider "Choas" or "Spam", and may never acknowledge dealing with either of those two things a skill all it's own.

Hence it's mostly left to us "casual" gamers to be fun only in controlled circumstances, where we don't have to deal with either of the two aforementioned crowds.

Last edited:

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
-AEnubis- said:
As well, most of the competative DM crowd won't like it because it's focus is more on frag skills and global awareness, and not timing and control. They also don't like having to watch their backs and contest multiple attackers in what they consider "Choas" or "Spam", and may never acknowledge dealing with either of those two things a skill all it's own.
I have to disagree. If I got decent fps I could hitscan whore everyone and still hog powerups, if I wanted to, which I would if it was a pub. It's relatively easy for someone to hitscan whore in ONS and a superior player can keep the masses with crap vid cards at bay much more easier in ONS.

And ONS isn't choatic especially in organized play or with people that know what the heck they are doing.

And as for chaos... I'd take a controlled environment over a random one with no objectives in mind other than to spam a corner to possibly score an extra frag because ammo isn't an important factor because you can always throw away your weapon and go to the weapon base and pick up a fresh one.

Speaking of that I'd like to see weapon bases more like the weapon lockers in ONS for TDM ws on. So every 27.5 seconds you can fill up again if you have less than the weapon pickup ammo is set at, instead of not being able to throw your weapon away or being able to throw your weapon away and get an infinite amount of ammo to work with. LG needs less ammo capacity.
Aaaaaahhhh. I misunderstood a post again! DMers like fraggin skill and global awareness yes. Fragging skill and global awareness==goodstuff.

Last edited: