What's everyone's favorite Rocket Arena map? Pt. 1

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Oh I'm sure you know them all by name by now (if you don't, you SUCK! :)). But here's a list for you right now just in case you don't. For more, log on to http://www.planetunreal.com/arena and click on screenshots.

RA-Akuma

Underlord - IMHO, the most overplayed map out there. Nevertheless, you'll be sure to find no llamas playing here, since they'd all suck in 1 on 1. :)

Sector-9 - Once you become able to use mods with RA (I hope I hope I hope ;)) this will be a good Infiltration map, since it's a warehouse map.

Neo-Tokyo - The city scene is shrowded only by what you have the time to see. :) This map seems to take the physical format of Underlord as so many of the upcoming maps do.

Babylon - Another Underlord-like map, Babylon adds a new feature: WATER WADING! :) It seems that all of these maps do a good job of living up to their names, and that's a good thing.

Cold-Steel-Pressure - (Too many hyphens. :)) Think of this map as a crossways map. Your only choice is too hide as best you can, because this seems like a very fast-paced map.

DM-Codex - All the final maps of an arena are pickup games, where everybody goes on two teams. Also, they chose to do DM maps for the last games, so you DMers should be familiar with these ones.

RA-Clawfist

Multi-Death - All of the maps in this arena are 2 on 2 so be prepared to look behind you quite a bit. MD is a very wide open map with lots of nooks and crannies, just like a Thomas English Muffin. ;)

Fluent-Death - A more compact map than MD, FD is a hard map to lose a person in. A few of my fellow PuFfers and I like to try a bit of everything here (yep, even the BioRifle :)).

Intruding-Death - ID is one of the most complex maps I've seen in RA. Ramps galore and the height of this map make it very easy to get nabbed while you're sleeping.

Circulating-Death - There was once a map I saw for Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition that had each weapon in many rooms outside of a circle. CD reminds me of it.

Straight-Death - Seems wherever you go, you're gonna die fast, so don't get comfortable here.

DM-Liandri

RA-CliffyB

Girder - I love all of RA-CliffyB's maps. They all seem so...articulate. OK, so I couldn't think of a good word to put there, but, rest assured, Girder is one map in this series you'll definitely like. Another Infiltration map candidate, Girder brings you into another construction/warehouse-like area.

Dust - It's very easy to get away from someone in Dust. The addition of two teleporters makes it a hard map indeed.

Google - Oooh, green. ;) And green is what you'll get in Google. Taking a page from DM-Liandri, it features a center post, outstretching to an outer ring.

Gearbox - Oooh, red. :) Need I say more? Well, yes. The first APPARENTLY tri-floored map, Gearbox makes you only want to be on two. :)

Paladin - God I love this map. :) This map is so tall that you can actually jump from the elevators to your own death! :) Of course, don't forget that there are also two support beams that you can land on (along with one thing that probably wouldn't support your weight hint hint :)).

DM-Tempest - Oooh, teal. :)

OK, I'm done with the first three arenas. The other three I'll do later. Right now, just try to figure out which of all of these maps (MINUS THE DM MAPS, THAT'S ANOTHER TOPIC! :)) you like the most.

------------------
The66thDopefish
a.k.a. The Dopefish
QuickICQ: 70291071

"What's the most dumbest creature in the universe? Why, of course, the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal. It's so stupid that it thinks if you can't see it, it can't see you. One way to avoid the BugBlatter Beast is to throw a towel over your head."

"So that's why when I talk to one person on IRC we dominate the conversation!"

"Rooster, you are a lava ****er. =)"

"Well, spank my *** and call me Jennifer Love Hewitt (please)!" =)

H

Hertston

Sector-9, by a long way. To be honest I find most of the rest a bit "samey", courtyard, ramps, lifts.

I hope they get 2 on 2 sorted. The Inoxx maps are far better than the others in the package, and the 2 against the world teamwork will be terrific.

BTW, are the US RA servers still busy ? The European ones seemed to have dropped right off (from 10+ players to 3 or 4), and outside peak hours I can hardly get a home. Hope this will improve after the next release.

bullet2.gif

I'm NOT paranoid ! All you guys really ARE out to get me !!....

Lunatic

Nov 29, 1999
chino ca 91710
Visit site
Without a doubt my favorite maps are Megaplex and Heavy water by Inoxx. They are both 2 on 2 maps, and their layouts are incredible. Megaplex is a sprawling metropolis setting with high buildings, catwalks and lifts, while Heavy water is a the skeleton of a high rise building with girders and beams criss-crossing the layout. Great maps that make me curse anything less than a 45 minute time limit.

Otter

Feb 8, 2000
www.splatts.com
I dont get to play it enough to have a fav :(

theres no local server *whine*

please local peeps in NZ get a server going!! :)

bullet2.gif

so this guy walks up to me at the bar and says "i wanna take you home and
UT you silly" and i said "don't call me silly you mean bastard"... oh how
we larfed...

Clanless][

Apr 29, 2000
Visit site
I think they're all very p1mp. Sector 9 is prolly the prettiest of them all...Maybe a little too much use of spotlights, but...but DAMN!
Neo-Tokyo is coo - I like his use of non-skybox buildings...Buildings are one thing but infinately large ones seem unrealistic if you move and see them all the time.
Inoxx did a damn nice job too...I think he likes his new texture a *little* too much though, hes included big yellow girders in a LOT of his recent maps :)
My favourite out of his would be that big one where your in a building under construction (?) with water at the bottom. Not to mention, looking out of one arena in to another from a window is very cool, I'm guessing we'll see a lot more use of that in upcoming RA maps.

~Cobra~

Cursed!
Apr 7, 2000
Visit site
girder is one of my favorties... everything is laid out well and not one weapon totally dominates... and you can set up your attack easier... definately one of the best ra maps...

bullet2.gif

"nice shot"
aka. [SBL]-Cobra

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
What? No one for Paladin? Come on guys, I'm trying to tell you something. :)

bullet2.gif

The66thDopefish
a.k.a. The Dopefish

"What's the most dumbest creature in the universe? Why, of course, the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal. It's so stupid that it thinks if you can't see it, it can't see you. One way to avoid the BugBlatter Beast is to throw a towel over your head."

ThrasherX9

Dec 5, 1999
Visit site
*sigh* i got to play RA more, latley ive been playing Agent X, U4ET, and Infiltration, and little stuff here and there.

bullet2.gif

I forgot what a sig was...

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Iron Bunker from RA-Ebolt absolutely rocks. It's a great map to play on and spamming llamas won't get an easy ride. Mage Tower, from the same map, is another good one.

Paladin's kewl too. Oh yeah Heavy Water (from RA-Inoxx) is probably the best 2v2 RA map yet. Vertigo sufferers need not apply ;)

bullet2.gif

"When only night remains, I feel alive again".

Clanless][

Apr 29, 2000
Visit site
Yah I love the vertigo - inducing maps :) Stuff thats really tall and you look down an all the people are little ants running around :) DM-Bathroomspecial or whatever has that effect...just climb on the sink light and look off hehe
hmm maybe I should make one of those next. Both I've made are kinda small with x-y fighting space. Anyone have any ideas?

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
LOL (enter symbol here) Cobra. :) Couldn't handle 'em eh? :) Major smileyage. :) :) :) :)

bullet2.gif

The66thDopefish
a.k.a. The Dopefish