Crash screenshots

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

spec_x

DA2 Project Lead/Level Designer
Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
Hey guys, thought I'd post a few early shots of the map I've been working on. Let me know what you guys think, but keep in mind these are very early, and there's always plenty of room for improvement :)

Attachments

• crash1.jpg
    crash1.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 107
  • crash2.jpg
    crash2.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 67
  • crash3.jpg
    crash3.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
hey looking cool.

As a pointer, im gonna be moving the focus of map gameplay from all of it almost set outdoor to 50% indoor 50% outdoor. So the first part is set outside then the attackers move into the structure for combat.

As if its going to be pvp and I was attacking. I wouldnt like to be fighting 90% of the map outside, also seeing as we wont be having vehicles in this build. Outdoors will be pretty hard for the attackers without vehicle armour.

Looks good, spectrum. You can use any of the bunkers BSPs I created in the island map and that goes for any one else, as i would like to have a 'theme' design going on through the Alliance bases.

In that 2nd picture, the base you have there, i would say keep that as the entrance area/main fort. I like the raised platforms too, as its giving some Z axis fighting, with the Alliance above and the attackers comming in below them. The red looks cool, make sure the base uses orange coloured lights too. Also the map gives me the feel the enviroment is hostile. So maybe the fort on the surface should look "rusted" and not friendly... like not many people come up here. The real base is underground where the conditons are better. And inside the base underground use brighter coloured lights like whites and yellows.

What would be cool is if there is no atmosphere on this planet :) no air, so everyone is wearing breathing kits, Like on Doom3 when he goes outside. All that happens is, you start hearing your breathing. That was a really cool effect, and for me it made it feel like there was no air. Then when you leave the underground base to the surface, you will feel you are steping onto an alien world.

It could be done with a special zone, where once inside, your hearning is lowered and you can hear your breathing. I think this could be fun, specially if you add slightly lower gravity. The Alliance soliders have a mask anyway dont forget, also it could be used in space maps too. :D

Last edited:

Hellhound

Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
This map reminds me on a movie ... but can't remember the name.
Dosn't matter the screens are looking nice.
Also good ideas by fluxx,

did you got the shadow script ?
I ve read somewhere that there is a free script to create real time shadows, don't know wheter they are as good as in doom, but it would be a nice feature.

Realtime Shadows

Last edited:

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
Thanks guys. Right now the structures in place were mostly for me to plan out the terrain. Once the terrain is finished, they will get the detail to make them really stand out. Also, I'm also building an underground system between bunkers and what not, so like fluxs has said, not all of the fighting will be outside, however, when vehicles are implented, I figured I'd plan for that while making my maps, so that they can be added later without having to really change the map much :)

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
:D I'll be posting more screenshots periodically as the map grows, glad you guys are liking it so far...

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
Yes i read about the shadow thing, i even downloaded it a while back, but i dont have the coding fingers to add it into DA2, the main reason is that the mutators list is disabled in DA2, so i couldnt even quickly add it... Maybe we can add this?

Edit:

I still think the no atmosphere idea in general rocks as it can also let us do space maps. like parts of a ship are decompressed or a planet doesnt have an atmosphere.

Last edited:

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
Ok, finally some new screenshots

Attachments

• crash1.jpg
    crash1.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 41
  • crash2.jpg
    crash2.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 38
  • crash3.jpg
    crash3.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 21
  • crash4.jpg
    crash4.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 25
  • crash5.jpg
    crash5.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Jul 26, 2003
Australia
spec_x said:
it's a red desolete chaotic planet, what do you expect? pretty bright colors?

I expect something natural (brighter more orangey red). Something that doesn't affect playablity. Something not ugly.

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
lol, tow you're great, it's actually a lot better ingame, things are still being tweaked, the screenshots mostly look bad because of where in the map I took them and the angle they're at. I'll get some better shots at some point. Really it doesn't affect playability at all as the fog distance is actually quite large when you're actually playing, it's just hard to tell in those images :)