Stats accuracy

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Now that the new set of stats are up and running and stable for a few months, it seems that they're about right.

When I look at a typical game, the best players are ranked highly, and the weaker players ranked correctly too.

My stats don't change massively after one defeat; which they used to do. So all in all, I think it's about right. I mainly play ONS, so that's all i know about.

so. RoK<|>SoLId ranked no. 91,308. Hmmm.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
dunno what it is for me - but my stats are garbage - to the point where it puts me down for gametypes I have'nt even played.

d'you guys think it would help if I made my nick more complex?

Last edited:

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
|dub| said:
dunno what it is for me - but my stats are garbage - to the point where it puts me down for gametypes I have'nt even played.

d'you guys think it would help if I made my nick more complex?

You shouldn't need to because there's the number aswell. I like simple names, what is it with all those -=%$dv8shuN)(#$=?() kind of names anyway? (Apologies if that name really exists and someone uses it..I just made it up and meant no offence ;) )

As for the stats, yeah they do seem pretty accurate BUT, like you Rhirud, I mostly play ONS and don't think the efficiency stat is a true reflection of how efficient the player is. That stat only seems to take into account kills against deaths and suicides (I could be wrong here, maths was never my strong point) and not building or destroying nodes...which is probably more important than frags. I often find that myself and other players who've got the highest scores in a match because we've been attacking/building nodes come out with a lower efficiency rating than a player who maybe hasn't done anythng connected with the nodes (and therefore the actual winning of the game) but has got a hell of a lot of frags with the deemer and the lev (or whatever).

I guess this is a the main reason why we can't take stats to seriously because, at Onslaught at least, they don't show who the best players are, but the ones who get most kills. (I don't know accurately how they work though, so please feel free to correct me).

A few weeks ago, I was on about 58% Eff. and really wanted to see if I could push it over the 60% mark, and found that I was playing differently...protecting my life more, playing for kills, and NOT jumping in at the flashpoint node trying to destroy it, or build it...and being a lot less effective for my team. At the end of the match I'd be like 5th or somthing in the scoring, but would have the highest efficiency.

I wasn't enjoying it as much though, so I've started to try not looking at stats or caring about them much, and now I play properly. I find myself getting higher score, but also dying more and getting lower efficiency ratings:

Still, it's nice to have them there, and I guess for DM and stuff they are more indicative than they are for ONS.

EDIT: Just seen what you said about Marko :lol: so he's not the Godlike owner of us all that he claims then

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
rhirud said:
Now that the new set of stats are up and running and stable for a few months, it seems that they're about right.

When I look at a typical game, the best players are ranked highly, and the weaker players ranked correctly too.

My stats don't change massively after one defeat; which they used to do. So all in all, I think it's about right. I mainly play ONS, so that's all i know about.

so. RoK<|>SoLId ranked no. 91,308. Hmmm.
Wow. Me, on the other hand...

Alltime No. 897 Rank 127.49 Matches 52

Sounds like I'll wipe the damn floors with him.

Last edited:

Gravesanth

May 23, 2004
Yeah, the stats - there's no actual use for Onslaught. Sure they list that you've constructed/destroyed x nodes but your kills/deaths ratio is the main thing that determines your ranking. And then you can argue why some people with loads of tank frags are ranked high.. while as a general Onslaught player, they aren't that impressive.. :rolleyes:

If you were to go for rankings, the annoying thing is when you need to play a clanmatch on a server which has stats enabled... generally it's possible to not let them drop loads but it does happen because it's less likely to keep up that 300/400 PPH that you can achieve on pubs :) My eff is 70.2% according to stats (264 matches so far) :D

Last edited:

CBA

Proud ::VeC:: Member
Oct 31, 2004
Belgium
vec.be
Here are my stats, i never look at them, most of the game i think i play are not enabled yet too so ... but always fun to see some of those matches :)

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Nah. I 'm generally a poor fragger; what I tend to do is build and destroy nodes. You get a point (or perhaps 2, if I remember right) for destroying a node and four for building one (These are guesses. I could well be wrong.) When I have a really good game, and wreck and build a few key nodes that turn the tide; my score is always higher.

But my stats are about right; and don't vary all that much. If somebody gives me a hard time online, 99% of the time he'll be in the top 500 which, in my mind reinforces the idea that the stats are there or therabouts.

I don't think stats are vital, but as I've posted elsewhere for the long term good of UT, I feel that epic needs a reasonably reliable ranking system; and the current one, despite having some weaknesses, is reasonably good.

So you've just ot the ege on me, darkpulse.

Alltime Elo 992 Rank 125.28

(but at the moment I've had a good run; I'm usually at about 1800. )
http://ut2004stats.epicgames.com/playerstats.php?player=50792

Edit - P.s

Dub - there are as you say a few dubs, but I can't see any |dub| 's.

But as is said, stats are bound to your username and password, not your screen name. So if you've got stats for gametypes you've not played it's likely tht you're looking at somebody else's stats. :D

Last edited:

Israphel

Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
So how does the ranking system work?
It seems to be better than the Efficiency % as it must take into account things like overall scores, score per hour and perhaps frags per hour.
Anyone know?

And what's the difference between the Nº and the rank figure?
Plus I can't understand the disparity between the Week, Month and All time figures. My stats are Nº 713 for the week, 4177 for the month and 2465 All time..yet it shows the same number of matches for each one.

Rhirud, the points you get for destroying building nodes depends on stuff. If you run over a node and it builds itself, you get 3, but maybe you get more if you actively build it with the Link (dunno about that). Also, you get more for destroying a complete node (5 I think) to a partially built one. Then I don't know if the scores are altered when someone else helps you build/destroy it. It's usually more than 1 point though, which is why you'll get a higher score if you concentrate on nodes than you will if you play for frags.

Dark Pulse, how come your stats only show about 3 different days going back less than a month? Surely you've played more than 52 matches?

Good stats by the way Rhirud, Dark Pulse and CBA. Makes me realise I've still got a LONG way to go before I can consider myself any good at this game :rolleyes: (Although I'm still way ahead of Marko/Rok Solid, so I must be doing something right ;) )

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
I haven't looked at stats in forever because I still feel they're wrong.

For instance, I played a CTF match last night and scored 31 points. I remembered it because it's the same as my age (shaddup!).

I looked at the stats for that match. It shows I scored 57 points, had 7 flag returns, and only 1 kill! :con:

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
That can be a glitch. If you kill somebody who, for some reason's stats aren't counted; then the kills don't count. Game on individual game, they aren't perfect, but as a general rule better players have a better ELO rank than me, worse players have a worse rank; which is how it shoud be. So the real question for you Ren - is that true of that game of CTF you played?

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
rhirud said:
That can be a glitch. If you kill somebody who, for some reason's stats aren't counted; then the kills don't count. Game on individual game, they aren't perfect, but as a general rule better players have a better ELO rank than me, worse players have a worse rank; which is how it shoud be. So the real question for you Ren - is that true of that game of CTF you played?

Probably. I was playing against some pretty good players, and I suck! :lol:

Personally though, I don't care about rankings. What I DO care about is efficiency. My current efficiency is a pitiful 40%, and I'm working hard on improving that. However, when a match like this one only shows me with 1 kill and a 13% effeciency, that's a problem.

Not only does it effect my overall efficiency, but it effects my rating.

Last edited:

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
In onslaught; efficiency is totally irrelevant to winning a game - except in some very big maps; where dying means another long drive to where you were.

As I said; I know of nothing outside the ONS world.

Gravesanth

May 23, 2004
And what's the difference between the Nº and the rank figure?

Rank is a calculated value - like you gain 3.72 for a match and the Nº is the place you're ranked, 1st, 2nd or somewhere in the 10,000.

Plus I can't understand the disparity between the Week, Month and All time figures. My stats are Nº 713 for the week, 4177 for the month and 2465 All time..yet it shows the same number of matches for each one.

There isn't I think; it just shows the number of matches you've played alltime for all three of them.

I'm player 5803 btw.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Gimme the numbers!

The stats ranking is based around how good the other players are on a server. So winning on a server full of high-ranking players will crank your ranking up by a lot, while beating a bunch of inexperienced players won't gain you many points (and unless you beat them by a lot, you might even lose points).

The ranking system works pretty well for FFA and CTF, but as has been said already, it doesn't seem to work as well for ONS.

I'm currently ranked 435th all-time for FFA (165.15 points after 84 games). I was at about ~100 before the stats got reset (although I don't think that was a n accurate reflection of my overall skill as a player, it was way too high) :D

Israphel

Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Thanks for making it a little clearer Gravesanth...again, good stats by the way - scarily good across all game types. (I really need to practice, for crying out loud).

Is what Selerox said true though? I remember the other week playing ONS-Crossfire, and there seemed to be a lot of inexperienced players on the other team cos we just owned them. I even got Godlike and 95% efficiency..and my stats took a jump up..I almost felt guilty about it (almost,but not quite ;) )

Last edited:

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I only look at stats for fun, I never really analyze them or treat them too seriously.
Mostly I'm just interested in finding out what way I suicide the most :D
(It's still Suicide command and Rocket Launcher for me :))

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Every little helps...

Israphel said:
Is what Selerox said true though? I remember the other week playing ONS-Crossfire, and there seemed to be a lot of inexperienced players on the other team cos we just owned them. I even got Godlike and 95% efficiency..and my stats took a jump up..I almost felt guilty about it (almost,but not quite ;) )

Well, depends on how much you beat someone by. If you're completely cleaning the floor with everyone, then you can expect a stats jump whatever happens. But the general principal is the same, your ranking points will increase by a larger ammount if you beat/do well against higher ranked players than if you beat/do well against lower ranked players.

ClanBase uses an ELO ranking system on it's ladders. If you beat a team whos rank is far higher than yours, you'll get a major ranking boost and will probably go up quite a few places on the ladder. If you beat a team that's much lower than you in the ladder, your ranking won't go up by much at all if you win (but at the same time it will drop a long way if you loose).

Israphel

Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Yeah Selerox, I've seen what you said in action over the last day or so.
The other day I posted here and my all time was 2400 or whatever. I played two matches of ONS that night and had pretty poor games (Game-Online server..when it's full it's fine, but when it's not there are WAY too many bots). I was in a team with two pretty weak players and a load of useless bots, and on the other side there were 3 or 4 pretty decent players. Strangely, my efficiency was around average across the two matches, but my ranking dropped down to the 4000s!! I mean, just 2 matches and you can drop that much, I wasn't that bad, my team just lost. I mean, on Severence, when you are down to the last node, and the other team are just pounding the valley to the node with the lev and the deemers, you know you've got almost no chance of turning it around..especially when most of the other players on your team aren't really experienced.

So then I played two pretty good matches, and it went to the 3000s and last night two really good games (same server, but this time no bots and pretty competative games) and got it to around 2200, although it's since dropped down again to 2500 (I guess other players have played while I wasn't and overtaken me).

So the point is this: If your ranking can vary SO much over what has just beeen 6 matches in a couple of days, how motivating is it really? Especially since a lot of what happens is beyond your control. I mean I played OK, but was in a weak team and dropped 2000 places, and then around 300 places overnight when I wasn't playing.

The efficiency %, as I've said above, doesn't indicate how well you play for your team and help to win the game, but it does at least stay constant and isn't really depencent on the others in your team.

Hmmn, sadly I've got into the habit of looking at my stats after games now...and infuriatingly it seems to be more relevent to me than I want it to be ;)