Shock core/rocket interaction?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
I was yesterday testing my map thingy offline when I fired a rocket, and one of the bots' shock cores hit the rocket and both exploded, IIRC. Can anyone confirm this?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
weird. I've only ever noticed that my rocket blows up and they are able to combo me in the face because of it :(

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
edhe said:
Shock core goes through most if not all things - i suicided with r0x because of that the other day...again... :)

Sort of. Here is the deal. The old projectile collisions rules, since 2003 were whichever one was fired first, stays on, and anything fired afterwards and hits it is destroyed. So if my ball was first, and your rocket second, the rocket explodes, the core files through. If the rocket was fired, and I shoot a core at it, the core disapates, and the rockets hits me in the face.

A recent patch changed all that.

The only thing I can verify now, is that cores, no matter what order they are fire in, much like in 99, cancel each other. From the sounds of things, it's gone total street fighter style (which might be cool), and everthing cancels now. I'd say I'd test it, but I fell someone will beat me too it.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No way. I've seen many many many times that my rocket explodes on top of the shock ball. No matter what.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
It may be that way now, but my current theory is that the core dissapates too.

Trust me. I use shock a little bit ;), and have had the opposite problem. I try to play really reacitve, and that is how I found out the old collision rules in 2k3. If I intentionally tried to intercept an existing projectile, it laughed at me, killed mine, and kept on coming. I've seen rockets blow through cores, as well as the other way around. I'd have to test rox vs cores spefically now, but I know cores cancel as of a very recent patch.

If I can get together with my buddy, I'll try to post a demo, or if all else fails, we can try to hop on a server and do it ourselves. Unfortunately, duty calls, and I got money to make right now...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
yah me too.

But I know that two cores cancel each other. I just don't know about rox. It seems like I always shot them second, but I also remember shooting first and having them blow up on the core.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
yeah just the other day I was watching some decent people playing 1v1 Rankin and these guys must've play with each other a lot because in same clan. And to make a long story short, one player kept on using shock cores on the corners that he was popping around so it would cancel the other guys rocket. It was a pleasure watching those two going at it. This was only done when the guy on the ground fired the rocket at a higher level corner because at that angle it was easier for the shock guy to predict where the rocket would be. Through out the round I saw it happen 2 times.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
That might be awesome then. The way it was in 99, was the lower the weapon was by default priority, the higher it was on the collision chain. Rockets just weren't in the collision chain in 99.

Goo would pass through Shock would pass through Ripper would pass through Flak bomb (though the flak would then come out the bomb). As well, anything that had more then one pojectile below it on that list, pass through everything bleow it, IE: goo killed every projectile that could collide, shock killed everything but goo etc.

If they went back to that system that would be cool. I liked that much better. That brings more balance between shock and rockets. Shock got hurt bad in 2k3.