Mapping concept: Legos

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
...eh... yeah. legos. No, not building a level out of lego rips.

....Lemme explain.

Instead of entire maps, perhaps people could make just rooms of differing sizes and qualities (including meshes, of course.) Instead of making a huge map from start, people could just peice them together, making a map of interchangable parts. Like a "flak" room, lava pit room, and so on. The beauty of it would be if you no longer like a certain room, you could simply delete it and import a new one.

....Main problem with this would be, if no one does it, it won't get anywhere. And I'm not the type to start bugging people to even try this.

Any of this making sense, or am I just rambling?

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
It sort of makes sense. The whole principle behind static meshes was, in fact, to do your complex shapes in modelling programs, then use the editor to "assemble your Legos", a metaphor I use often. I don't know how it would work for whole rooms, though, as it seriously limits your options for building levels with proper game flow.

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
\/\/0RF said:
It sort of makes sense. The whole principle behind static meshes was, in fact, to do your complex shapes in modelling programs, then use the editor to "assemble your Legos", a metaphor I use often. I don't know how it would work for whole rooms, though, as it seriously limits your options for building levels with proper game flow.

Probably so. For one thing you'd still have to do pathing, although in some cases (such as movers and perhaps doors) it possibly could be imported too. Dunno.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
If you ask me, you're rambling. Levels are more than just the collection of different parts.
You have to watch your distances to each build part, making sure that these connect great, have proper scaling in respect to each other (eg. if you want a room on top of a big room, you'll need a looong coridor or elevator), provide for a decent flow, and, most importantly, have a theme that fits in with the rest of the map.
I think that if you start building some 'lego rooms' to be used by others, other mappers won't just 'take and use', but rather start working on them: rescaling, re-aligning, removing or adding static meshes, and so on. In the end, the benefit will be close to none... :(

Note: keep in mind that I'm just a novice mapper. I might be wrong about this ;)

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
You can already do pretty much exactly what you suggested using prefabs, and you can store a bunch of prefabs in a package so in theory you could make a large library of them to make entire level out of. Prefabs can include brushes and stuff too. The biggest problem I would see with that though is that if you build a bunch of levels with the same "building blocks" you're likely to end up with a bunch of levels that "feel" the same and have the same atmosphere, which could get boring.

Having said that, you might be able to (though not with prefabs, unfortunately) make a sort of "random level generator" that would pick random combinations of rooms and passages and stuff. A random level generated in that fashion might not be that great, but it might make a good starting point for a mapper without a clear concept for a level.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I don't think this kind of thing is what we need. This really wouldn't help anyone become good at mapping, and we'd have a deluge of the same crappy maps a million times over by those who can't map but would feel the urge to release something. Not to mention, we already have enough novice-to-intermediate mappers who don't ever leave the ShipTech, Humanoid, and Abaddon packages, and many, many maps that look almost the same theme-wise. I can only imagine playing the 10th map built from these pre-made rooms... "Oh, look! That exact same lava room I saw in maps 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 9! Awesome!!"

hpv

Sep 30, 2004
While it'd be neat if it worked, if anyone's used the editor that comes with Timesplitters 2 they'll instantly understand why this sort of thing doesn't exactly make for great gameplay.