BeyondUnreal's UT2004: ECE Review

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I had some time to dig through UT2004: Editor's Choice Edition and examine the content, snap a few screenshots, and make a some comments. While not a review in a traditional sense... it's a great way to take a look at the entire ECE package, including the user-made modifications, character models, vehicles, and maps.

If, for some reason, you haven't purchased a version of UT2004 yet or you own a copy and still haven't downloaded the bonus material, you should have a good idea of what is new by browsing through this review. Or if you just like pretty pictures...

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
Here is my only complaint about the bonus pack:

Is it hard for server admins to enable the new vehicles in old maps or what? I see the new versions in my bot-match list, but so far I have never played one online set up like that, with the new vehicles.

Last night I found a few servers running old maps w/ new vehicles, but they had modifed the maps, and I had to download them. Talk about a waste of HDD space!

Isn't there an easy way for server admins to enable the new vehicles in the retail maps? If so, someone needs to write up a quick tutorial on how to do it, and let's get these new vehicles in some old maps!

Go&nd

Meow
Jul 3, 2002
Visit site
Hey Hal... since I'm using your review as a resource to which I direct people so they understand what to download and complete their editor's choice collection, it'd be nice if you included links to Aridoom and Ascendancy.

Yeah I know most people here already have those maps and I know they should be easy to find, but I know some people who enjoy UT but don't pay close attention to the community and, um, aren't too net savvy. (Yes, it's true -- they're out there.)

Otherwise, your review is an excellent all-in-one resource for reviewing and finding everything (including the mods) included in the ECE yet freely available for download.

I'm typing quickly here as I have to run... I hope this post made sense. :D

Bono

Third Eye Open
Sep 25, 2004
Germany
Beelzebud (Satanas) said:
Isn't there an easy way for server admins to enable the new vehicles in the retail maps?
Of course! Open the server's ini file and search for [Onslaught.ONSMapListOnslaught]. Then add
?BonusVehicles=true​
to all the retail maps. For example, in the case of Torlan the line should look
Maps=ONS-Torlan?BonusVehicles=true​
This change is interpreted by the server as a kind of mutator and the server description shows "Mutator: MutBonusVehicles", but the maps aren't modified. I tested it with some friends on my own server and it works great.

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
Well they really should have made that clear, because no one online is really using it, and those [ECE] tagged maps are making their rounds.

Perhaps a topic on the main page about it. I don't think many server admins know how to do it.

Nathjan

Jun 11, 2004
theres a problem with that though, if players want to use the default vehicles the admin would have to take the command off, then turn it back on when people want ECE vehicles. Thats why CybermanX released the ECE Map Pack, so admins could use both the ECE version of the retail ONS Maps and the Non-ECE Versions on their servers without having to use a command line.

Last edited:

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
I've seen about 20 different serves at any time for each of the following maps: tricky, adara, islandhop, urbancity.

What do you mean lack of servers?? :con:

And sorry hal, I can't read the review right now because I can't access any .beyondunreal address'es. I'll stick the ip in front of it and read later though :)

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
igNiTion said:
I've seen about 20 different serves at any time for each of the following maps: tricky, adara, islandhop, urbancity.

What do you mean lack of servers?? :con:

You totally missed my point. A majority of servers are running the bonus pack. I never said I was having problems finding the new maps on servers.

Few are running with the new vehicles enabled on the original retail maps. That was my point..

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
Beelzebud (Satanas) said:
You totally missed my point. A majority of servers are running the bonus pack. I never said I was having problems finding the new maps on servers.

Few are running with the new vehicles enabled on the original retail maps. That was my point..
AH my bad.....read it wrong :)

Bono

Third Eye Open
Sep 25, 2004
Germany
Nathjan said:
theres a problem with that though, if players want to use the default vehicles the admin would have to take the command off, then turn it back on when people want ECE vehicles.
You're right! That's a flaw I forgot to mention.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Go&nd said:
Hey Hal... since I'm using your review as a resource to which I direct people so they understand what to download and complete their editor's choice collection, it'd be nice if you included links to Aridoom and Ascendancy.

Yeah I know most people here already have those maps and I know they should be easy to find, but I know some people who enjoy UT but don't pay close attention to the community and, um, aren't too net savvy. (Yes, it's true -- they're out there.)

Otherwise, your review is an excellent all-in-one resource for reviewing and finding everything (including the mods) included in the ECE yet freely available for download.

I'm typing quickly here as I have to run... I hope this post made sense. :D

Good point, and thanks.

Added links to Aridoom and Ascendancy downloads via BeyondUnreal's FileWorks.

N

None_Visible

You're right about the awkwardness of adding bonus vehicles; I've tried a couple of things and ended up using UT2Vote46 and making bonus vehicles a votable mut. Doesn't seem to work in every map, but certainly Torlan, Arctic, FrostBite all take it ok. YMMV, it seems.

cheers,
stone_cold_Jimi, London Met Uni