Legend Of Zelda TC Needs Help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
{MM}Juggalo_kyl is heading up a Total Conversion bringing the gameplay of the popular Nintendo franchise, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Time, in the form of a Massively Online Multiplayer Role Playing Game, to the Unreal Engine via UT2004. They are currently in the planning stages and are looking for Mappers, Modelers, Coders, Sound/Music, Story Writers, and Texture Artists to start the project.

M

{MM}Juggalo_Kyle

nintendo issue

i contacted nintendo and im currently waiting for a reply from them about legal issues, like with the whole trademark of the zelda franchise. i just hope to hell that they say its aye okay

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Nintendo is traditionally EXTREMELY protective of their copyrighted material. I wish you well with it, but at least there is lots of great gameplay and general theme to bring over without crossing that line - if you don't get permission.

M

{MM}Juggalo_Kyle

yes this is pointed toword the mmorpg style of game. we would really like to make it that way, because mmorpg's are so fun but you have to pay for them... which sucks... but you dont have to pay for mods. and a zelda mmorpg is just really good idea i think.

cole_bie

^^^SHOW ME THE PINK^^^
Jun 29, 2004
i would love to see a free Unreal powered MMORPG, but how will a zelda MMORPG work. Will everyone be zelda? I love MMORPG's and made a thread about a UT MMORPG mod but everyone said it wouldnt work. I used to play runescape and was lvl 68 then my account got banned wrongly for password scamming, but another story for another day. Will the combat be real time? What kind of features will it have? I would really like to see a housing system like in a lot of MMORPG's nowaday's. i am VERY interested and would like to know more.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
The Wanderlust project seems to think it has a system figured out for a mmorpg mod with linked maps and everything, though they don't seem to have a proof of concept yet. This is something people have been wanting to do for years so it'll be interesting if it's actually possible.

If not, a coop mop might always be a good alternative. Haven't played 4 swords but it's the kind of thing I wish we had a decade ago.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Well, one thing that I wonder about is that retail MMORPG can exist because they have persistent worlds made possible by massive amounts of game servers sponsored by the developer/publisher and financed by the monthly user-fees.

How do you plan on providing the persistent world necessary for a MMORPG with no funding?

M

{MM}

ok first off flak. plz dont get me started with runescape. i used to play that too. lvl 56 i think i was. and the whole combat in real time, uhhh can you be more specific on what you mean. and i am currently working on some of the forest maps and a website, aswell as getting the mod team together. so far we have about 7 people, and im still waiting for some to return my emails. and second, Hal, i know what you mean by the whole present time with the game servers and such. we will have to think of a way to get people to keep a good running server 24/7 when the mod comes out. but we will have to seriously think about that subject. thnx for the heads up on that one, it totaly slipped my mind. but i will deffinently try and find people who are nice enough to put up the servers with no cost, but i know thats going to be a very hard task to do. well thnx for the support so far.
thnx
kyle

SaibeR

I see Fragged ppl.
May 22, 2004
i think this is the first time in my life where i have actually regreted that i have not been trying to learn some programing stuff :mad:

The story of the Legend of Zelda series is an afterthought, as Eiji Aonuma admitted. No wonder it isn't that original or deep, they merely try to justify why you're running through those dungeons. Zelda sells for the gameplay, not the story. Now that makes me worried for an MMORPG, since classic MMO conventions enforce realy bad gameplay...

SquirrelZero

Apr 5, 2003
frag-ops.fragwhored.com
It might have been a bit wiser to ask Nintendo (which i can almost guarantee a no from) first. Since they're still developing Zelda games, and it is perhaps their most successful franchise ever, they'd probably fight tooth and nail to protect their IP from being used in a free application.

I can understand them maybe giving a yes to this if you were going to do a remake, something already done, that wouldn't detract from their sales too much. But since Nintendo has never done a Zelda MMORPG, my gut tells me they're going to say no here, because what if down the line they do decide to make one? Why would you pay for a Zelda MMORPG if you could already play a free one, in mod form? Those are the questions their lawyers are going to raise.

K

Kaddar

how the hell

How the hell does news like this make it through?

you need

Mappers
Modelers
Coders
Sound/Music
Story Writers
Texture Artist
Animators

what the ****, that's everything. Mods don't work unless you physically build 50% of them yourself.

M

{MM}Juggalo_Kyle

first off, we have 3 coders, 3 mappers, and a music artist sofar. and i did email nintendo before we even started mapping for the project. and how was zelda a mini version of LOTR? they didnt even make a lotr game until 3 years ago. zeldas been around since 88'. and at the begining, you can choose your race. like deku, zora, forest kid, etc. we have asked for story writers that atleast know the story line of zelda, because we want to throw our own little zelda twist into the mod. and after seeing all the responses about the whole nintendo issue, i am 50% sure they will say yes, and then 50% says no. i have no idea but if they say no, im not going to stop, i will ask them please if i even put up a legal note that zelda is there fully registered trademark. and we need more that just 1 person for each possition availible. i mean making mods isnt easy, let alone a mmorpg would need alot of people doing stuff to work on it constantly. and as far as the free donations from the server admins, im hoping that maybe QAPete would be nice enough to run one using there new dell power server that he recently bought (with our donations might i add). and squirrel made a good point, about the not having to pay for one mmorpg and paying for the OFFICIAL. you see, if they made a mmorpg, it would be way better than ours, i can already tell, basicly because there pros at making games, and we are just a mod community. so i dont expect Nintendo to get jealous over a mod done by a community over a game done by pros.
thnx
kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.