Need help identifying a spider...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[UMC]Boron

UMC's Official Drunkard
Oct 10, 2002
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
Hey,
I've looked all over the internet on what kind of spider this is and I cannot seem to figure it out. It looks somewhat similar to an Orb Weaver spider from pictures that i've seen but I dont think it is. *edit* forgot to mention my location. I live in Central Minnesota, USA.

Here are two pictures. The first is a belly view of it:
IMG_1266.JPG

The second is a back view of the thing...:
IMG_1267.JPG

Any help in identifying this would be great. Thanks!

-Jeremy

Last edited:

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Spiders is sillies.

Attachments

• Day5.jpg
    Day5.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Day6.jpg
    Day6.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Day9.jpg
    Day9.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 130
  • Day10.jpg
    Day10.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 74

5eleven

I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain
Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
I don't know a thing about spiders, Boron, but I took a look myself and found a close facsimile in a Garden Spider, judging only by the similarity of the spots on the underside. Looks like there are several variations, but all seem to be close on the spots.........

This one looked the closest to the second photo, it's a European Garden Spider, or so the
site says..... here's the pic:
araneus.diadematus-5.jpg
But what the hell do I know. I looked at lots of pictures, and my guess is to do a search on either Garden Spiders or Yellow Garden Spider, although the Yellow has similar markings but entirely different color variations than your photo.

Lt.

Elitist bastard
Aug 11, 2004
in urban Michigan(mostly)
such strange timing, my friend just had ~20 cubic centimeters of rotten flesh removed from his left forearm after a bite from a brown recluse.

spiders are scary things around here.

tell me those photos arent of your hand, whats the story behind them?

Bushwack

Avenged Sevenfold...
Jul 21, 2003
Ohio, NE
Visit site
If you cant find any sources to identify that spider, you might want to take the pics to a local park ranger, sometimes they are better familiar with the local wildlife than most people, or find a High School Biology teacher near you, they are usually geeky enough to remember things like that spider.

OT, OMFG, 5eleven is alive, it takes a mystery friggin spider to bring him out of his hole though, amazing, my offers of coffee and doughnuts werent working, maybe i should GOOGLE some SPIDER pr0n to get him up and about :p

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Lt. said:
my friend just had ~20 cubic centimeters of rotten flesh removed from his left forearm after a bite from a brown recluse.
Those are the spiders whose bite can be blinding, right? Scary stuff.
tell me those photos arent of your hand
I suppose it could be the white half of my hand. ;)

[UMC]Boron

UMC's Official Drunkard
Oct 10, 2002
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
yurch said:
We have something similar looking at near infestation-levels.
Do they only start to come out during the evening?

I did notice it near sundown. In the time span of about an hour and a half it had already built a web probably 12-14inches across and had caught a couple things and was chowing down on something else.

I checked for it this morning, the web was still there but no spider. I'll check again this evening to see if it does indeed come out at dusk/night.

Lt.

Elitist bastard
Aug 11, 2004
in urban Michigan(mostly)
yah, we have *both* brown recluse & black widows around here.
( i have never heard of a recluse blinding someone, just widows. maybe tho. )

i just dont go stickin my hand in small, dark places. :rolleyes: that, and i learned the markings for both spiders at a really young age, so i can spot em from a mile away.

[edit: oh i see what you mean FTU, guess that isnt your hand. :lol: ]

Last edited:

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Anybody who boo hoo hoos about a Brown Recluse has obviously never seen one of these in person:

Attachments

• Atrax2.jpg
    Atrax2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Atrax.jpg
    Atrax.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 71

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
[UMC]Boron said:
I did notice it near sundown. In the time span of about an hour and a half it had already built a web probably 12-14inches across and had caught a couple things and was chowing down on something else.

I checked for it this morning, the web was still there but no spider. I'll check again this evening to see if it does indeed come out at dusk/night.
Sounds like what we have here. I dunno if they are dangerous or even what they are, but they'll make themselves comfortable night after night to an annoying extent.

ninjin

The Franco-Japanese Carrot
Feb 24, 2001
Dalhousie Univ., NS, Canada
yay... bird eating spiders. that just made my day.

Aside from that, I heard somewhere that if spiders were the size of cats they would be the primal predetor nearing humans... no idea if that is true or not.