Bigger, Better, Badder

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
The wife decided that I’m getting the small room for my office, funny how that works, but there are some advantages including trees that shade my part of the house and a better view.

Anyway, I’m going to fill up the room with a custom desk. I really like the desk I’m using now; I built it years ago and it works out well, but it’s too small. I have my PC sitting on a couple of old speaker cases, and my printer and scanner and other stuff scattered throughout on other things.

My current desk is 4 foot by 2 foot for a total of 8 square feet. My new desk will be 37 square feet; 4.625 times more surface area. Honestly, I don’t need that much area, but the more I fill up the room with desk, the less I have to vacuum.

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
N43° 03' 16" :::: W77° 36' 03"
that's a sound plan Q.

make it fit into a corner. When you say custom, does that mean you will build it yourself? If so, follow these guides. The maximum depth a desk should be is 30 inches, most interior doors are 30 inches wide (exterior 36in), so maybe make it 2 inches less should you have to move it out of the room in the future. The height should be 28 to 30 inches, use the latter if you plan on having a sliding keyboard tray. put a metal support beam spanning the entire width of the desk to keep it from sagging; wooden support beams usually aren't enough.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
The desk will be built and assembled in the room. I’m not going to scale down the desk just so it fits through the door. It will be in two sections: one section will be 7 feet long and 4 feet wide. The other section that will go to the left of me and attach to the main section will be 3 foot by 3 foot.

It’s going to be a little over 3 feet tall. I have a 3-foot bookcase that’s going under it at one end. If you take a look at my current, butt-ugly desk, you’ll have an idea of how the new one will work. You see how I have two slide-out surfaces for my keyboard and mouse? I will have the same thing with the new desk. This will allow me to have the desk over 3 feet tall, but will have the keyboard and mouse at the right height.

The new one will be made out of three quarter inch plywood, and will have a fiberglass top. Check out the pic of my current desk and you’ll see the white fiberglass top I use for that. I will use the same stuff with the new desk. It’s very tough material and it’s smooth and easy to clean. I'll paint everything and make it look nice; at least a lot nicer than the old one.

At the moment, my PC equipment, including my printer and scanner, and my desk paraphernalia, and my router, DVD player and VHS player is scattered all around the room, and they all sit on stuff that takes up about 20 square feet. Since I'll have almost twice that much space, I can have all my stuff close by on my desk and still have room for extras like a TV.

A refrigerator will sit under the 3x3 section and I'll have keyboard lights. I run lights under the table so they shine down on my keyboard and mouse so I can have all the lights off in the room if I want and can still see to type. I used to use Christmas lights, but now I use rope lights. I'll use 2x4’s for the construction and screw everything together with a screwgun. The fiberglass top will be glued to the surface and the extra surround sound speakers will mount on the wall behind and on either side of my head.

My old desk will be a workbench. It’s sturdy enough for a workbench, and the new desk will be even sturdier with the thick plywood. I’m figuring it will take seven years to build with cost overruns and zoning issues.

Attachments

• desk.JPG
    desk.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 16

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
My God this desk is freakin' big. I started on it today, but i have a lot more to do. I should take pics during construction. I built the top and had to slide it in the house on a piece of carpet; it was too heavy to lift....and that was just the top.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
QUALTHWAR said:
My God this desk is freakin' big. I started on it today, but i have a lot more to do. I should take pics during construction. I built the top and had to slide it in the house on a piece of carpet; it was too heavy to lift....and that was just the top.

you should cut a big redwood tree and then use it as basis for your new desk... now that's what I call bigger and badder! :p

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
QUALTHWAR said:
Hey, that's not a bad idea.

only if you know what to do with all the squirrels and other animals living in and on these trees. maybe you can glue their sawn off heads to your bueros wall... makes you look more menacing when you have to deal with the mafia again.