Stat Net Ping v Scoreboard Ping?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SchizoidMan

Jul 21, 1999
UK
www.illgetroundtoitsometime.not
Anyone got the definitive answer for this one? I know it came up a long time ago, but I just want to be sure, and can't find any info now.

My understanding is that the Scoreboard ping is the network IP ping...i.e. the round trip time from your machine to the server and back, which obviously depends on how good your net connection is.

And Stat Net ping includes the "Frametime" delay, which as I understand it, is the time it takes the game server to update the "Game World" and send the next iteration back out to you.

So, on a busy server, you could have a nice low Scoreboard ping, but nasty Stat Net ping, as the server is overloaded.

That's my understanding...anyone confirm this, or is it some other reason altogether?

BiPolar

Mar 18, 2000
Visit site
According to the great CliffyB himself (me paraphrasing of course), the scoreboard ping is your true ping. The netstat/F6 ping is your latency... what it "feels" like you are pinging at. This is determined by numerous factors -- server overhead slowing stuff down, bad frame rate, etc.

BiPolar

Mar 18, 2000
Visit site
Don't know any more then that. The two examples of things that can add to your latency were all CliffyB told me.. so ... dunno /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Temporary Account

Temporarily Permanent
Jan 25, 2000
cosmicmonstersinc.com
Hmm...so if the Stat ping is accounting for the server being slow and what-not, does it stand to reason that when you get a ping spike that shows up there, but not on the scoreboard, that everyone on the server is experiencing a similar spike?

bullet2.gif

-[CMi]Soul-Crusher
www.cosmicmonstersinc.com

Voyd-

Nov 24, 1999
Visit site
ahhhhh i had an email from Jack Porter of Epic explaining exactly the diffrence between the two, but ive lost it. anyways lemme try and re-write it

Scoreboard is actual physical network ping. ping meaning the time it takes for a round trip from you to the server.

Stat net is raw network ping plus framerate considerations, for both the client and the server.

this means that in stat net, if the server has low ram, or is having trouble keeping up for whatever reason, you will have a higher ping in stat net but itll remain low in the scoreboard.

if you yourself have a very low consistent framerate, your ping reading will be high in stat net as well. Sta net really is there for you to see the GLOBAL performance in a game, but for your actual delay (ping) look to the scoreboard.

in a sense, stat net really helps you see how a server is handling itself. if you see on the scoreboard a ping of 50 but in stat net 150, sumthin is wrong. the server most likely is running low on resources, running sumthin else in the background, etc.

hope that makes sense.

bullet2.gif

$GB$Voyd