Ultima X: Odyssey Canceled

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
It seems like one MMORPG after another is getting the axe these days, but this one comes as quite a surprise given the pedigree of its predecessors. Wednesday on the Ultima X: Odyssey site David "InQWis" Yee, Producer of Ultima X: Odyssey, had this to say:

Dear Ultima X: Odyssey community members,

As of today, development on Ultima X: Odyssey has ended. We feel that Ultima Online is where we need to focus our online efforts and most of my team will be moving to the UO expansion pack, the UO live team, and an unannounced Ultima Online project. Development on UO will be greatly enhanced as we consolidate our resources behind that franchise.

This isn't an easy decision but it’s the right move for the future of all things Ultima, including the community and the team. We look forward to sharing our plans for the future of Ultima Online very soon.

I would like to thank all of the Ultima X: Odyssey supporters who have been with us from the beginning. I hope you will continue to support the Ultima franchise and the development team as they transition to new projects.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
I never intended on trying this, but even I had to check and make sure the date wasn't april 1st. And to go back to UO? There must be artists at that place that are slipping ropes around their necks tonight. They seemed to be so far along, just as they were with UO 2 right before it got the plug pulled.

EA's never had faith in the series, they should've just made another sp game, they probably have enough material for one...

W

Winky Boy

GOOD. I wasn't planning on even touching the box in the store. When I first heard they were making another Ultima, I was psyched - until I found out it was another MMORG. I was a beta tester and original subscriber of UO when it first came out, but got quickly burned and upset by it, so much to the point where I'm not interested in ANY MMOG with a monthly fee.

If they made another SP Ultima, I'd buy without thinking.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
Well, that's farther than some people got, I was a beta tester on UO and didn't even subscribe when it was finished. I didn't touch another mmorpg until the beta phase of Lineage 2, and they still hadn't changed the archtype.

Now all we have left is rogue bands of game makers creating half baked remakes of the older games. While I'm sure the ultima Unreal mod will be interesting, it doesn't look like an actualy ultima style game.

I need to practice my modding more...

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
Good, with Garriott gone this would have sucked bigtime.

Ultima online is still going to suck too, though, EA. THIS MMORPG CASH COW IS A NO GO. DO YOU HEAR ME?

Of course they don't, they're too busy making ****ty star wars games and shafting their original core fanbase.