Nvidia or ATI?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I have a Radeon 9700 PRO that would love to differ. :)

Seriously, with the top tier of either brand, you'll have no trouble as long as you have the processing power. It's more a matter of preference.

Neomega

Feb 11, 2004
Alright, just seemed strange to me, both ATI and Nvidia have UT2003 in their programs.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Games really aren't proprietary to a video card if that's what you mean. Unreal Tournament 2004 and other games use a set of instructions that most any card can interpret and render.

wildfrogman

Sep 30, 2001
usa
Visit site
Well, atleast thats the case nowdays. I can remember back when 3DFX ruled the 3d world to the point that when unreal~unreal tournament was released and a while later when the first Geforce card came out its performance STANK. This was because it didnt support Glide...which was the big thing back then with many, many games. Hopefully nothing like that happens again but who knows...maybe nvidia~ati will come out with some proprietary 3d standard..hope not.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
wildfrogman said:
Well, atleast thats the case nowdays. I can remember back when 3DFX ruled the 3d world to the point that when unreal~unreal tournament was released and a while later when the first Geforce card came out its performance STANK. This was because it didnt support Glide...which was the big thing back then with many, many games. Hopefully nothing like that happens again but who knows...maybe nvidia~ati will come out with some proprietary 3d standard..hope not.

Dude, fo' reals. I just got Final Fantasy VII for the PC (since I don't have a playstation available) and there's an unofficial patch for XP compatibility that allows pumped up graphics but since my card is so new I can't use it because the card doesn't support 8-bit paletted textures. :( I may yet need to resurrect my old box to play this game in style on it.

rajput_warrior

The World's Favorite Flak Monkey
Feb 26, 2004
BC, Canada
i had an ati, and it overheated in a month, and their drivers are crap, i switched to nvidia, and i have no intention of going back

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
What kind of ATi do you have?

Driver support from ATi have been really good thus far. Back when the 8500 were around, sure the driver were lacking but recently, they have been good if not better in support compared to nVidia.

The current FX cards from nVidia aren't impressive IMHO. Although the next gen cards from nVidia seem promising if they can reduce their heat output and power usage levels. (The 6800 is insane, 100+ watt of heat and 2 Molex input from separate PSU rails? Crazy!)

soul seeker

ruler of the unknown universe
Feb 7, 2004
NSW, Australia
the ati linux support isn't very good, which is the reason is use nvidia

as for the power i've heard that the same is true for the ati card. might not be true though.

SanitysEdge

Aspiring Astrophysicist
rajput_warrior said:
i had an ati, and it overheated in a month, and their drivers are crap, i switched to nvidia, and i have no intention of going back

Funny, I had a NVida card, and it overheated in 2 days, drivers are crap, i switched to ATI.

NVidia cards also have crappy lighting, its all blocky and stuff.

I say wait till the X800 and the GeForce 6800 comes out untill you start buying new graphics cards (which in like 4 days...).

KenjiE20

Feb 27, 2002
Washington, England
www.longbowslair.co.uk
wildfrogman said:
heh, loved Glide. I got a pc sitting the other side of my room, that I fre up once in a while, simply cause its still got a 3DFX Voddo 3 2000 in it.
personal preferance for me would be nVidia, better Linux support and they own some right to 3dfx (iirc) so glide tech is probably being added to the new cards.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
In a ut2004 pre release chat session with the developers a question about ATI and UT2004 came up. The reply was harsh and had something to do with we like getting together closely with the video card manufacturers like nivida but frankly ATI is too busy with DOOM III to bother with us. So from what I can tell epic and ati aren't exactly on great terms with eachother.

wildfrogman

Sep 30, 2001
usa
Visit site
Hmm, thats something I haddnt heard about concerning ati~epic. Though I did hear they are supposed to have better Linux support soon...not sure HOW much better though.

Bazzi

Wearing pink
Apr 22, 2001
Germany
www.bazzinet.info
that better linux support will come until fall from what Ive heard....

and Carmack doesnt talk about the ati cards anymore, hes with the 6800 already :D

but ATi is still slapping Valve to release HL² which was pushed a lot by ATi...

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
hal said:
Games really aren't proprietary to a video card if that's what you mean. Unreal Tournament 2004 and other games use a set of instructions that most any card can interpret and render.
hmmm perhaps they aren't ... but they aren't as independent of the hardware as you'd want them to be.

Why else would nVidia try to push their own Cg-standard as a new Glide-like standard for graphics ?
Why else would they so blatantly sponsor games with their gigantic logo ?

// --
// doubt it, open standards are a rule of thumb today, wether for net or video
Closed standards are still the majority, especially when it comes to either graphics-cards or the internet (IE isn't exactly W3-compliant and plenty of sites don't even recognise real browsers. Some actively stop non-IE users from entering ... ).

Or did you really think that DirectX was 'open' and that 'OpenGL' could go anywhere without vendor-specific extensions ?

stephen_casey_1964

Toy Sculptor
Apr 9, 2004
Tacoma WA, USA
I'm sure ATI has improved a lot in the last three years. I bought an All-In-One-Wonder back then and although it did the dishes it didn't render Hitman worth a darn, with their latest drivers at that time. Everything changes though.

Personally my PC dollars are precious so I will be buying the best ATI at one store and the best Nvidia at another store. I will be trying one for a few days, and then the other for a few days. The winner I keep, the loser goes back to the store.

As for my G4 Ti 4600, I am still impressed as its mated to a 1.2 Athalon and 512 of PC 133 memory. 1024x768 pretty smooth with all the options maxed out. Latest drivers of course.

This card is two years old and Until recently I could see the better performance either in 2D or 3D with each driver update. I think this card is close tothe the end of the line though, as all the custom 2003&4 models I Have running look drop dead gorgeous at the highest resilution. I want that, I really want that. I'll still wait a couple months though and let the ATI competition show it's stuff and then let the OEM start underbidding eachother.