Making a train?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gibdo

Jul 18, 2001
Visit site
How would I make a train that moves along a track? (imagine the opening to HL)

Would I use a mover? a vehicle? And how do you set the path?

Thanks

Paladin

Where do I mount the silencer?
Jan 4, 2000
QBVille
www.quirkybastards.net
A mover would work. According to Unrealwiki http://www.unrealwiki.com/wiki/Movers_With_More_Than_8_Keys, you can have more than 8 keypoints for your mover (up to 256), but anything above 8 must be set manually in the mover properties. That should give you enough to do all those fancy rotations and altitude changes like in the HL openning.

The above tutorial should get you started (and has a monorail sample level with it).

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
Movers can also follow Matinee interpolation paths -- a much more flexible approach than keyframes, imo, with the added bonuses of variable timing during path sections, event triggering, and other effects built into the Matinee system. not sure if players can ride the movers this way, but perhaps it's worth a few tests.

JonAzz

UA Mapper
Aug 1, 2003
North of Philadelphia
Yes players can ride the movers controled useing matinee, I suggest useing matinee for this as it is a very nce system to do something like this. Im surprised i havent seen more things like that with movers. :-/

Gibdo

Jul 18, 2001
Visit site
Cool. Is there a specific tutorial on using matinees this way? Or will a basic tutorial on this be good enough?

Edit: Actually, I found a pretty decent one on UDN. Talks about making a drop ship. You can't tie a vehicle to that so the player could sit down while it moves... (but then it would be third person by default, wouldn't it?)

Last edited: