Mega Kill!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I know this is probably so last year, but oh well.

Anyone notice that the "Mega Kill" announcement in UT2k3 sounds like it's in a different voice than the other announcements? In particular, that it kinda sounds like the UT announcer? Well, I remember that UT had a "Mega Kill" phrase in Announcer.uax that was never used. I extracted the "Mega Kill" announcement from both UT and UT2k3, did a binary file comparison, and sure enough, both files were exactly the same, byte for byte:

C:\Documents and Settings\Battousai\Desktop>fc /b ut_megakill.wav ut2k3_megakill.wav
Comparing files ut_megakill.wav and UT2K3_MEGAKILL.WAV
FC: no differences encountered

So it looks like in UT2k3 they decided to use the previously-unused "Mega Kill" phrase from UT. Hm...it's starting to look like they forgot to record one of the announcements with the new voice actor they got for 2k3, or they decided to insert Mega Kill at the last moment...

Has there been any other word about this issue before?

becoming i

Registered abUser
Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
:2thumb:
cool.gif

good detective work! :D

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Poking around the UT2k3 .uax files a little more, it seems like Bombing Run was really supposed to be like American football:

"Blue/Red Pass Completed!"
"Blue/Red Team Interception!"
"Player was Out of Bounds!"
"Blue/Red Team Wins the Round!"

Also some other unused phrases in general:

"Blue/Red Team is Destroying the Opposition!"
"Blue/Red Team is Falling Behind!"
"Blue/Red Team is On a Roll!"
"Blue/Red Team is Outmatched!"
"Crushing Defeat!"
"Spawn Killer!"
"Squeeze Play!"
"That was a close match!"
"That was one brutal match!"
"Your teammates are linking up."

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Actually, 2k3 has two different announcers. Some of the announcements are one dude (called 'Tony the Tiger' by some) such as 'Adrenaline!' and 'Killing Spree!' and then others are done by the old UT guy ('Berserk', 'Headshot', 'Holy Sh*t', 'Wicked Sick' etc). I think.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Yep, known about those for ages :) Hah, if you want a real laugh, have a listen to the MercMaleTaunts.uax package ;) I made a custom voice pack using those, it's funny as hell.