Sound and Lighting difficulties in UT2K#

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

blisster

Nov 21, 2003
www.hp.ufl.edu
Sounds:
It seems I can only have sounds on certain actors. I have emiters and fluid surface occilators both with ambient sound that plays ingame.

However, on static meshes, lights, and zone info, they will not play ingame!? I have assigned a sound to the +Sound-ambient sound feild and set the volume etc to my desired settings. When I set the vieport to realtime, the sounds play according to camera proximity as I have specified. But when ingame, no sounds from those actors can be heard.

Lights:
Unreal Ed shows my dynamic (flickering) lighting perfectly, but after build all, they lno longer do their thing. I haven't been able to get the effect to carry over ingame at all. What's the deal?

I have looked over the entire UDN site ( http://udn.epicgames.com/pub/Content/ ) and UnrealWiki site ( http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Home_Page ) with no luck!!!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com

Aggressor

mutator
Nov 3, 2001
Slovenia
Visit site
You can make flickering lights by using emmiter nad setting its light properties. But only some of the options work, so play with properties a little. Light effects (shimmering etc.) do not work - you have to imitate them with projectors.

I had no problems with playing ambient sounds from smeshes or zone infos. You'll just have to use ambient sounds, which is just as good.

blisster

Nov 21, 2003
www.hp.ufl.edu
Thanks for your help. The Ambient Sound actor is working great, and I'm seriously annoyed that Dynamic Lights are NO LONGER supported. That's just stupid.

I have a link to the map in the "Play Testing" forum if you'd like to see what it looks like and how it plays. I'd appreciate some opinions.

thanks again.

LoserMan

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
blisster said:
I'm seriously annoyed that Dynamic Lights are NO LONGER supported. That's just stupid.

Technology changes, and there were problems with continuing to use the dynamic lighting as previously. First, dynamic lighting has always been a large performance hit. Second the issue of dynamic lighting on static meshes; recalculating vertex lighting on a static mesh with hundreds or thousands of vertices at playable framerates isn't happening anytime soon.

However, all the same effects, and a whole lot of new effects can be done with intelligent use of Projectors. For a good demo, check out the water pool in Curse]I[.

blisster

Nov 21, 2003
www.hp.ufl.edu
I don't get why the editor displays it correctly. It just shows you what you wish could work, but slams the door in your face when you try to see it in game. Evil, I tell you.

I can see calculating the effects of dynamic lighting on static meshs at realtime speeds as being difficutl. Maybe in Unreal Tournament 2005.

Are there any tutorials on mimicing dynamic lighting effects with emitters?

I'm also having a heck of a time with projectors. They appear so harshly on the BSP surfaces, and completely ignore the static meshes. I can't enlarge them in a controlled manner either.

Thanks again for all of your help. Give the map a try (I updated the files on 11/26/2003)

blisster

Nov 21, 2003
www.hp.ufl.edu
Your tutorial is informative, but I don't think I can get the effect I was hoping for. Are projectors the tool of choice for making water refracted light in a room with a fluid surface? I've tried making the effect a couple times, but it is too harsh, too uniform, and ignores static meshes.

Any one have experience with what I'm refering too?

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Yes, I have experience with them, you should be able to get the effect you want easily (relatively). Keep in mind that rebuilding screws projectors up, and sometimes if you change a setting the old setting will still stay "burned in" to the bsp/meshes. If it looks wrong or you had to rebuild, either open up another map then open yours back up, or just quit the editor and restart it. That will "reset" the projectors. There's more info here at the UDN:

http://udn.epicgames.com/pub/Content/ProjectorsTableOfContents/