Printer problems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
For the past, um, half-year, my printer has been making terrible terrible grinding sounds about 80% of the time I try to print and about half the time it takes several tries to get a document printed as the printer comes up with all red lights and must be reset. Me and my parents deduced that this was because we'd been using cheap ink on it and so we've been using the normal, slightly more expensive ink on it, but the problems are still occuring. It's an Epson Stylus Color 740. Couple of questions:

1. Anyone have any idea what could still be causing this?
2. Could it have anything to do with the fact that we're using hole-punched paper? Could some ink be going through the holes and drying up inside the printer or something?

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I'm not a printer expert but for what it's worth:
I don't think cheap ink could couse it. It could fuck up the print heads but that shouldn't be a reason for terrible noise. Hole-punched paper could only be a problem if you actualy print something on the holes in the paper and even then it should only couse a dirty roll. Sounds more like a problem with an electric motor or a damaged cog wheel or something like that.

Last edited:

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
I've noticed that it has been printing through the holes, but I think you're right in that that's probably not the cause as it hasn't been printing through the holes very often. And we've been using good ink for a good couple of months now and for the problem still to be going strong it's probably not that either, I guess

However, I can't remember the printer ever moving from its spot, let alone falling or hitting something to get damaged:hmm:

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
The print head still must move over the holes as it comes across not good. If you are printing in the holes thats even worse.

Have you notice that there is tearing around the holes? Have you tried regular paper? There is a chance there are small pieces of paper stuck in the printer.

ragingsamster

oldfartis nongratis
Jun 4, 2001
Washington
Visit site
Most budget printers ($100.00 or less) are designed to be "disposable" the printer companies make their money off of inflated ink/paper prices, since the prices of printers have dropped steadily the last five years the quality of design and manufacturing has diminished greatly. If your printer is over two years old, it's time to replace it if it starts malfunctioning. 100.00 electronics devices that spray liquid around can not be expected to last very long. my 2 year old epson is about ready for the landfill too.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
ragingsamster is 100% coorect. Not worth repairing. Time for something new. Don't use paper with holes in the new one.

Scuddie

I am probably better than you.
Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Do what I did, and purchase two printers. One could be a personal laserjet for text and vector images, likely found at $180.00 on newegg, and get an inkjet for pictures. Laserjets are far superior for reliability when heavier usage is concerned, and you can use inkjets for the 1/50 pages for graphics. If you're still using inkjet printers for your primary usage (text), you might consider talking to your folks about investing in a personal laser printer. It's not just a good idea, it's cost effective :).

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
benmcl said:
The print head still must move over the holes as it comes across not good. If you are printing in the holes thats even worse.

Have you notice that there is tearing around the holes? Have you tried regular paper? There is a chance there are small pieces of paper stuck in the printer.
No, never any tears in the holes... I just asked my mom if that could be the problem but she told me that it's been ****ing up since long before we got the holed paper by accident, so that can't be it either. Damn my memory :rolleyes:
She said we will be getting some new paper soon though.
ragingsamster said:
Most budget printers ($100.00 or less) are designed to be "disposable" the printer companies make their money off of inflated ink/paper prices, since the prices of printers have dropped steadily the last five years the quality of design and manufacturing has diminished greatly. If your printer is over two years old, it's time to replace it if it starts malfunctioning. 100.00 electronics devices that spray liquid around can not be expected to last very long. my 2 year old epson is about ready for the landfill too.
Hmm, was not aware of that. We have been using it for over two years... however, are loud grinding sounds consistent with a natural printer death?:hmm:
What's YOUR printer doing to show you that it's dying?