Call of Duty, first Impressions - or - HOLY MOTHER OF STALIN!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
I just recieved Call of Duty from EBGames, they even threw in FREE 2-Day shipping. I had read some previews, a review or two, and even got to chat on IRC with one of the guys from InfinityWard.

First, some background. This game draws heavily on the technology and ground-breaking cinematic feel that Medal of Honor: Allied Assault offered gamers. MOHAA was made by a studio called 2015. MOHAA was released with surprisingly little hype, considering the publisher. It set the standard for WW2 shooters and has become one of the most loved of it's genre, with excellent action, music, level design, and mutliplayer components.

Well, about 7 months after MOHAA was released, a bunch of guys from 2015 left and started what we now know as InfinityWard. Call of Duty is thier first game, and what a game it is!

I have only played through a few levels so far, but what I have been through in the game is nothing short of spectacular. First, the visuals. Yes it is the Quake3 engine, and yes you can run it on a respectably slow computer, but my god, the things they have done to it! The basically ripped apart the engine. It has new AI, wonderful visuals, great lighting, and wonderfully realistic sound and animation (no ragdoll though). It runs great on my 1.4Ghz Thunderbird/512MB DDR/GF4 Ti4600 rig, the processor being a bottleneck of course. It never crashed once during this time and my framerates were very solid.

InfinityWard not only released this game BEFORE the scheduled date, but listened to MOHAA fans! They are very close to the community and are very respectful of our opinions, for good reason. We are the ones that decide whether a game sells or not. ;)

Major additions I saw (in contrast to MOHAA) were the much improved AI, the ability to lean in singleplayer, the ability to go prone, AND IRON SITES! That's right! IRON SITES! As for the AI, it's very well done. Both allies and enemies react to everything around them. They will actively seek cover and formulate strategies to flank or drive the opposition out. There were several times where I found a nice spot to pick them off from, but the second they figured out where I was, I actually watched the Germans regroup and send three soldiers to take me out. They found cover, dashing from outcropping to outcropping. It was insanely hard to stop them with my bolt action Kar98k. They forced me out with grenades soon after... one of the grenades went off in the air right on top of me and produced a great stun effect. My vision blurred, sounds became dull, and my movement became sluggish (Think Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan). Needless to say they took me out pretty quickly.

It was mostly my fault. I didn't stay with my squad. I figured it was like MOHAA and I could pull a Rambo... boy was I wrong. If you go it alone, especially on the harder difficulties, YOU WILL DIE.

Also, you can only carry two main weapons, a sidearm, and (I think) 6 or 8 grenades. The main weapon amount is affected by the size of the weapons carried. For instance, I carried a thompson and an M1 carbine at times, but couldn't carry a garand and a Panzerschrek. The singleplayer campaign is played from three perspectives, Russian, English, and American. All three are driving toward Berlin. It is said that in the final stages, inside Berlin, you will actually run into your alternate characters and their squads! In essence, you get to take Berlin from three perspectives that all interact with one another. Nice touch!

I played two mutliplayer games before I came here, more fun than MOHAA even. There is, of course, DeathMatch and TeamDeathmatch. There is also a Seek and Destroy mode, very similar to the one we saw in MOHAA. There is also one that was a ton of fun: "Behind Enemy Lines". Basically you start as either german or allied. If you are allied you score points by killing germans, which disgustingly outnumber you. We're talking nearly 8 to 1 or more at times. If you are german, and you kill an Ally, you become an ally and they become a German. Lots of fun! In multiplayer, there are no classes, thank god. There is also no way to heal, which is so much better than in MOHAA where every time you killed an enemy they magically dropped a 50hp healthkit, I think it was. You select a main weapon much like in MOHAA, then go at it. In S&D and BEL modes you only have one life per round as well. I think this is adjustable in DM and TDM to turn them into Last Man Standing / Team Standing modes.

I have to head out to a party for now, I'd love to keep going... this is an amazing game that, although has only about 10-15 hours of gameplay (depending on how good you are), will make you play through singleplayer over and over. I can't wait to see more online. Get some nice 28 vs 4 BEL matches going :D

Edit: Also, the textures are really nice, the shading is well done, and if your card supports it, the pixel-shaded water is just too cool (although not quite morrowind or HL2 caliber) :)

Last edited:

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Humbug.

Why'd GOD have to sneak H&D2 out at the same time?

Wait ages for a bus (and by bus I mean "good WW2 realism shooter") and then two come along at once...

Last edited:

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
I just finished downloading the 1.2GB promo, and you tell me its out already? Apparently sharereactor.com says so. Damn!

Well, I may have only played 5 beta levels from the promo so far, but I can't say i'm impressed yet. Once i get the full real game, we'll see where it goes.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
I'd say Call of Duty is vastly more realistic than arcade-esque FPSes like Counter-Strike and Soldier of Fortune or even semi-realistic ones like America's Army, but not quite up to the level of realism-details found in Infiltration. On the other hand, it's a lot prettier from a graphics perspective, which makes it MUCH more immersive...it's the most immersive FPS shooter I've ever had the pleasure of playing, and even 2.9 won't knock it from that perch. The UT engine simply doesn't get close enough to photorealism to produce this kind of "you are really there" feeling.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
well, if it's like the demo I've tried, I don't expect too much of it. Were you on crack while testing it Kibbles? It's still the same old thing: same engine, same place, same weapons, same objectives and so on.
Maybe the full game is different, but to me, it's style looks like a cross between Wolfenstein and Virtua Cop :p

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Freon said:
It's still the same old thing: same engine, same place, same weapons, same objectives and so on.

Wrong, they were the first to introduce that famous bridge scene from The Longest Day in the brits level! Actually, thats the only level I like.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Snake13 said:
Problem is COD isn't really realism, and H&D2 sucks from what I here

Well I am playing it and apart from the odd bug (it's the sequel to nearly the buggiest game ever - BC3000AD probably just beats it but not by much) there is very little suck-age so far.

Catalyst

science begets death
Jul 18, 1999
CA, USA
I just beat it. I'd say it took me less than 10 hours to do so. While it was too short, I'd say it's one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long time (probably since Operation Flashpoint). I'm looking forward to trying out the multiplayer stuff with some friends next week at a LAN game. The missions were kind of hit and miss...there were some that were really enjoyable (holding the bridge for reinforcements on the British side was one of the most fun/difficult) and others that were pretty lame (all the on-a-track vehicle ones were kinda stupid for gameplay, though a little fun to watch).

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Finished it, renamed the CoD folder to Generic shooter 7.

(ok, the irons sights were nice and some of the missions were pretty intense, but apart from that: Generic.)

Sweep

Jul 25, 2001
Visit site
Multiplayer is pretty damn sweet. It feels more "tactical" than any of the other FPS out IMO. Some of the really open maps become sniper fests, but only a class based system with limits on numbers would fix that, universal FPS problem...

The Iron sights are done better than any other game I know of, adds alot to it IMO. Also, going prone is a huge improvement over MOHAA. The overall feel in multiplayer is awesome, although it still needs a realism mod to up weapon damage. As I understand it is supposedly extremely "modable", so there should be all kinds of cool realism mods and such pretty quickly I hope. I hope some pretty advanced realism mods come out...

Unfortunately I seem to have a pretty big graphical bug, that prevents me from playing past like the 2nd level from the singleplayer, and I can't play on about 3 of the 10 multiplayer maps I've tried. It is a weird bug where very bright colors and tearing eminate from the enemy, which goes through walls and completely blocks my view. And it seems to be map specific, so it's very weird. Using save games from a friend I'm able to skip to other singleplayer maps and can play on about half of them just fine, and like I said I can play on most of the multiplayer maps I've tried. I'll attach a screenshot below. It's is totally hosing me, and makes no sense. I could play the demos just fine, along with the leaked Promo. Then I get the final and it hoses me... Funny thing is the first map it pops up on singleplayer is the map from the original Demo, wtf.. I have up to date drivers (tried older ones too), up to date directx, updated VIA drivers, everything I can think of, AA/AF off, etc, to no effect. Tried all the settings in the game hoping something was triggering it, no go. System is a 2200+, 512mb Ram, a GF3 video card, and WinXP. Seems the problem is pretty unique to me, haven't found anyone else with this situation on any of the CoD forums I've found which makes it pretty damn unlikely I'll get any help or a fix in a patch from the developers...

Screenshot, enemy is behind a couple walls from me, this white crap is coming out of the enemy like an explosion or something. It usually has blue/black tears or whatever these are too, not just white If I look away from his direction far enough (can't be anywhere near the screen, ie needs to be directly behind my view), or manage to kill him or friend AI kills him and I can get the dead body behind me everythign is normal, till it decides to do it again shortly... Usually I can't even see to walk or shoot at any enemy, can't continue playing when it starts. But I have had zero crashes or anything, so no error messages or anything to go on...

Attachments

• problem1.jpg
    problem1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
I'd say it's a lender.

I just installed it Friday night, and went through the whole single player in about 7 hours between two days. There were a lot of parts that were very rememberable video game moments. That's both the good and the bad. There were missions where I was having a blast, while there were others I was cursing like a sailor. Like the mission where you take the building, then have to defend it from hordes of germans, plus incoming tanks. Seriously, I must have died 50 times in there. There was literally a line of soldiers entering the building, and you would always get killed while reloading. There were guys everywhere, so it was near impossible to run and hide to reload. It also had far too many of those missions where you are on a vehicle getting driven through hell while you try to shoot people while the driver keeps making jerky turns so you can't hit crap. You can most definately tell these guys came from the same team who made that awful MOH game. Missions like the tank mission, complete with exploding buildings. That was a fun level, and also the ones where you had a sniper rifle was fun as well. I'd still say that over all, it had more fun parts than fustrating parts, but because the fustrating parts lasted so long because of repeated deaths, time wise it was about 50/50. I was just about to buy it when my friend said he grabbed it. I don't think the game is worth $50, especially when games like Max Payne 2 and Freedom Fighters just came out and seem to offer a lot more. But if you loved MOH, and can't get your fill of WW2 games, it may be worth it.

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
For the multiplayer issues with snipers... that was the same case in MOHAA when it came out. You can rip snipers a new one with an M1 and some grenades. Not only are you accurate from a decent distance, but you are deadly up close. I can flank and kill a sniper about 80% of the time once I see a muzzle flash :)

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
So what you are saying is that snippers don't move? Fire once maybe twice then move. At least I always do. If you don't you deserve to gget killed.

So is it worth getting?