Anyone know how long thermal compound lasts?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Ok, so I'm getting to the stage of wanting to rip my pc apart again and spring clean it :) Obviously I'll be removing my heatsink etc to remove all the crud that's built up, so am going to need to re-apply thermal compound to the proccy. I've got a packet of compound from the last time I did this, and was wondering if it's still usable, being around 10 months old now? Does it 'go off'? Or is it more or less unlimited in opened shelf life? I can grab some more no problem, but if I can still make use of the packet I've got now that'd be great and save me a trip :D

Thanks,

CSM

P4p3Rc1iP

Unreal Speed Member :)
Sep 29, 2003
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Visit site
i think it will work "forever", i dont see some n00b ripping is heatsink off his cpu when his pc is 1 year old to put some new stuff on it. my good old p3 500 is still running after 3,5 years without putting new thermal compound on it.

maybe there is something written on the packet that says howlong it will stay "good"?

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
You can use it with no problem unless it has dried up.
There are no active components in the compound so if you have it in a hermetic enviroment, it can last forever :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
if you are taking of your heat sink you should replace the goo, otherwise you won't have as good a transfer between them and could lose some of your thermal reistance/gain heat.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Sir_Brizz said:
if you are taking of your heat sink you should replace the goo, otherwise you won't have as good a transfer between them and could lose some of your thermal reistance/gain heat.

That's exactly what he's saying :)

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Uh, yeah :) I'm not a pc n00b, but the lifespan of thermal goo isn't something I'm really called upon to know a great deal :D The goo itself is still goo-like and hasn't gone hard, so I can't see much of a problem. And if my processor melts......well, I need an upgrade anyway :lol:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I've seen dried goo on a penituim 200 that tore the core right off the wafer :)

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Scumgrief said:
So how do you clean the stuff off the heatsink and CPU? Isn't scraping it off the proccy a little risky? /me is thermal goo impaired

Absolutley pure alcohol is the best. You can also use acetone with no oil.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
How exactly do you apply the stuff? My friend who helped me build my computer didn't put it on because the heatsink already had some on the bottom. I plan on getting a different heatsink anyway, so I would like to know what to do.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Swedix said:
Absolutley pure alcohol is the best. You can also use acetone with no oil.

If you have any gold in your contacts or anything, don't touch the alcohol.

I actually use a toothbrush and water, unless you had a thermal heating pad (aff) from Intel or AMD that got stuck to the proccy. If it's on the heatsink, those normally peel right off...but IMO scraping it off the heatsink and then sanding the bottom is the best idea.

As for applying thermal goo, put a small squeeaze on the heatsink where it will sit on the core, and then spread it evenly and flat around where it needs to be. This keeps it from gooing all over your processor.