"Hello my name is Dell and I suck."

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
Dell has gone out of its way to prove to us that it is still exceedingly stupid and still controls a commanding share of the worlds MORON market.

Intel recently said they believe the market is not ripe yet for 64 bit, but I believe they have to say such things. They have been caught with their pants down by AMD. AMD's Opteron processor is cheaper than Itanium and can run 32 bit and 64 bit applications under the same processor where Intel's Itanium 2 cost triple, and runs 32 bit application by way of a slow emulation, most likely as a response to the AMD 64 bit processor.

Does Dell truly believe that the world is not ready for a 64bit platform?

I went to Dell's web site to see if the company currently offers an Itanium based server and found that such a beast does exist inside the Dell confines. The Dell PowerEdge 3250, is a 2u, dual processor, Itanium based server that will run Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition or either Red Hat Linux workstation or advanced server.

Dell obviously sells 64 bit PowerEdge servers, so they do offer 64 bit ready-made workstations and servers now. Why not Opteron? According to Dell, The price is not right.

I decided to look at the unit price of the Itanium vs. the Opteron. According to Mid Range Server dot com, the unit price of the Intel Itanium -- in lots of 1,000 -- is $1,338 for the 1.3 GHz yield and is as much as $4,426 for 1.5 GHz yields, which also contain a hefty 6 MBs of L3 cache; also in lots of 1,000 units. The AMD Opteron 246 chip, featuring 64 bit will sell for $749 in lots of 1,000. IBM is selling servers with these processors which sport up to 12 GBs of memory. According to IBM, cheaper Opterons can deliver up to 80% of the speed of the Itanium at 25% of the cost.

Dude, don't get a Dell.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Dell's desktop and workstation machines are not that bad. If you want a warrantied system that is halfway decent, I recommend a dell for the basic user. Their laptops are nice, too. Otherwise buy one of my Dead Cat Phanatics custom built PCs :p

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Dell obviously sells 64 bit PowerEdge servers, so they do offer 64 bit ready-made workstations and servers now. Why not Opteron? According to Dell, The price is not right.

I decided to look at the unit price of the Itanium vs. the Opteron. According to Mid Range Server dot com, the unit price of the Intel Itanium -- in lots of 1,000 -- is $1,338 for the 1.3 GHz yield and is as much as $4,426 for 1.5 GHz yields, which also contain a hefty 6 MBs of L3 cache; also in lots of 1,000 units. The AMD Opteron 246 chip, featuring 64 bit will sell for $749 in lots of 1,000. IBM is selling servers with these processors which sport up to 12 GBs of memory. According to IBM, cheaper Opterons can deliver up to 80% of the speed of the Itanium at 25% of the cost.
Yay, whoever wrote this got the numbers off the open market without any insight into the contracts between Dell and Intel. Ergo, the author does not know what prices Intel can deliver to Dell compared to how low AMD is capable of going.

Then there is the thing about it being harder to sell AMD's than Intel's because they are precieved by many as not being reliable. "You get what you pay for" and so on.

Dell is one of the most successful computer manufacturers out there, so I think they know what they are doing. If they could profit from using AMD then they would. Unfortunately for AMD, that Intel sticker still counts far more for most people than the 5% FPS advantage in UT'03.

Last edited:

[UMC]Boron

UMC's Official Drunkard
Oct 10, 2002
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
codenet said:
whoever buys dell willingly must be truly stupid. i can make a the same computers they can for at least 700 dollars cheaper. its like legos.
I agree whole heartedly. Orginally I ws lookin at the dell xps but I was like good lord its pricey...so I started to look at building my own...in the end, I built my own and i saved about 1200 dollars

{Ghetto_Ghepetto}

I am #1 Asian big boob queen!
Jun 4, 2001
CA
Same for me Boron. I checked out a bunch of small companies as well (which their prices were significantly lower than Dell's) but were still out of my price range. So I decided to just buy all my own parts and slap together a computer :).

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
I agree that I can put together (and troubleshoot) and new PC better and cheaper than Dell. And most of us here on these boards can, too. And for myself, I'll never buy another PC - building is the only way to go.

But when it came time for a PC for my parents? I bought 'em a Dell - with the extended service contract and priority support. No brainer. I don't want to get calls all the time about things not working and having to deal with it. Say what you will about the prices on Dells, if you've got parents (friends, whatever) that are computer-illiterate, buying them a Dell is one of the best things you can do. Easily worth the extra money.

Matthew

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
Damn it Big_Duke I was about to say the same thing..now I am just going to look like an unoriginal ass.

Oh well.

I am going to go computer shopping with my dad tomorrow. My dad is an intelligent person. He could probably put a completely disassembled car back to together with no problem. He can also deal with all kinds of confusing (to me at least) copier circuitry and such with ease. He cannot, however, wrap his mind around the concept of using a computer, much less building his own. So when I go shopping with him tomorrow, we are going to Best Buy and buying either an e-machine or a Dell. It doesn't have to be top-notch, just better than their current system, and I want them to have a number besides mine to call when something goes wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

{Ghetto_Ghepetto}

I am #1 Asian big boob queen!
Jun 4, 2001
CA
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! NOT E-MACHINE!!!!!!!!! EEEEEP!!!!

Just order a Dell from their website if you are going to buy a fully assembled computer. I have only heard bad and more bad about e-Machines and HP from friends/online buddies. They are extremely poor in the upgrading department, and considering how fast electronics/technology move these days, you'll need upgrades in about a year or less. And with an e-Machine, which is not upgrade friendly, you will end up buying a totally new computer, rather than upgrading for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
FeelTheUniverseXXX said:
You still get that feeling once you've slapped together about 20, too :)
Yup, I've built many a machine for myself. However, the real money dell makes is not in the home market, but in the mass production for business. Boeing uses dell machines, and has for a long time. When you need 20,000 new machines, you don't go to a small time firm, or build them yourselves ;) Dell can deliver exatly that, and all the special customizations you want for them, too.

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! NOT E-MACHINE!!!!!!!!! EEEEEP!!!!

Just order a Dell from their website if you are going to buy a fully assembled computer. I have only heard bad and more bad about e-Machines and HP from friends/online buddies. They are extremely poor in the upgrading department, and considering how fast electronics/technology move these days, you'll need upgrades in about a year or less. And with an e-Machine, which is not upgrade friendly, you will end up buying a totally new computer, rather than upgrading for a fraction of the cost.

See, you are still thinking like someone who cares about computers and staying current. My parents will not need an upgrade in a year or less. Heck, the only reason they are even getting a new one is because their old one isn't quite working right. I could probably pull and swap some parts in it and fix the problem, but since it has been awhile (over 3 years) since they purchased that computer, they figure they could use an upgrade anyway. Note that they do not need an upgrade because of anything they do with the computer, but rather the old is broken and they might as well buy a newer one.

Any sane* person would see that you are correct, but my parents are far from sane*.

*In this instance, sane = tech-savvy

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
Sure I can build a machine cheaper, thats nothing new, and its never been different. Go ahead and say the same thing for any other pc manufacturer.

But if you actually use quality parts, intel motherboard, corsair ram, chieftec case, etc etc you'll be ALOT closer to dells price than you think. They're parts are quality, believe it or not.

Go to the dell site, price out the cheapest one you can with 3.0ghz 1gb ddr, then go to price watch, pick quality parts, name brand only and you'll end up with a 300 to 500$ max difference in price between dell and a quality home built pc/incl OS. Then you dont have any support, you ordered your parts from 10 different cheapest retailers(god forbid something be bad), you have to actually build it, install the os, and get it all up to speed(add 2hrs labor for that). Dell is alot closer to a good price than some may think if your comparing apples to apples. All things considered, they're selling a product that is certainly worth it to those people that can't or don't want to go the build it yourself route.

ohhh and stay away from emachine!

go to www.gotapex.com www.slickdeals.net, find a dell with a coupon and or rebate, get a good deal on something.

Last edited: