Invasion of the Fruit Flies!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Ok, this is a plea for help. My apartment has been inundated with these small flying things that I can only assume are fruit flies (although they do seem kind of large compared to the fruit flies I remember). They appeared, I think, after me or my roommate left out some bananas until they got brown. Then one time, he left out a pan of enchiladas overnight and the crap really hit the fan. The next day there were swarms of them, and since that fateful hour (about two weeks ago I think) we've had these little bugs all over our kitchen.

We now put away all food as soon as we're done eating it, wrap everything in the cupboards, clean up all messes, leave no dirty dishes out, ever, and we even moved the garbage outside onto the deck. That sort of worked, they decreased slightly in numbers. Now we've taken a more pro-active stance, spraying them out of the air with cleaning agents (which we're pretty sure also kills 'em) and vaccuming them up until no more can be found.

But, every time we leave the kitchen for more than a couple hours, there's a renewed swarm. It's mind-boggling. It's like they spring out of nowhere as if by some magical means. We have literally tried every defensive measure possible, and some offensive measures. The only thing left that I can think of is that our apartment, besides the flies, is completely free of other bugs. Maybe if we had some spiders or something, or maybe ants that would find the little ****ers' eggs, that would take care of the problem.

For the most part though, my roommate and I are at our wits' end. Has anybody else had this problem? Does anybody know what to do?

Last edited:

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Call the orkin man. :D

orkin.jpg

*EDIT* Have you thought of trying a flame thrower? Might damge some stuff, but it would sure be cool. Seemed to work in "Alien." :D

Last edited:

SU3000

Bringer of Fear and 0wnage
Jun 10, 2000
The Netherlands
www.carpeimperium.com
A former roommate of mine once left a pan of rice which had gone brown and liquid (don't ask, but we were pretty sure it once had been rice) where a swarm resided, maybe you forgot something too..

Try to find any leftovers you may have forgotten. Are the rooms clean? Any garbage bags left? Nothing behind/under the sink/cookingplace/fridge? etc..
If all else fails, wait untill the temperature drops, or maybe even raise the temperature in the kitchen. Either may help in preventing them from breeding.

For the rest: GL! :D

The ultimate novice

It's MY island!
Feb 14, 2001
Gator Country
Visit site
Bring some lizzards inside. They rank way lower on the ick scale, and they'll pretty much abandon the house when the buffet becomes depleted. Mantids and Venus Flytraps would help too. If all else fails, well, then I don't know what to tell you. Sorry. :D

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
In a cup, put 2 cups apple vinager, 1/4 cup sugar, cover with a funnel so that the flies have to go down funnel (funnel needs to be higher than liquid). The fruit flies will go down the funnel and will either drown or get stuck in the cup as they refuse to go down the sides of the funnel to get to the hole again.

Nickelass

In the Flesh?
Apr 4, 2002
Central Illinois
Visit site
i have heard of using honey mixed with yeast to kill ants before, and i am pretty sure it works. not sure if it would have the same effect on fruit flies or not. basically just mix honey with yeast and put it on little pieces of cardboard around the house. they come to eat it and either get stuck in the honey, or eat the yeast and die later on.

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
executer99 said:
In a cup, put 2 cups apple vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, cover with a funnel so that the flies have to go down funnel (funnel needs to be higher than liquid). The fruit flies will go down the funnel and will either drown or get stuck in the cup as they refuse to go down the sides of the funnel to get to the hole again.
fruit flies (also known as vinegar flies) = fermenting food
Fermenting food = vinegar
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/entfacts/struct/ef621.htm
Trap info at bottom of page

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Fly paper might not be a bad idea. The vinegar trap sounds like bee traps we used to make at my dad's house (sugar water or beer in a plastic liter bottle with a downward-pointing funnel entrance). I forgot to mention, we've also tried leaving all the windows open overnight to kill them with cold but it didn't seem to do anything.

While they've definitely gotten less numerous, what I am so incredulous about is how hard it is to get rid of them. We've searched every crevice of the kitchen for left-out food and been killing them for a couple days now... where could they be spawning? I remember at my dad's house we used to have a 'compost bucket' that we'd put food trash into and then take it out to our compost pile once every couple of days, and NEVER had a fruit fly problem. I honestly think it was because of all the spiders and ants in that house. :p

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
Alternate idea: find someone you hate (preferably close), and hide some food in their place.
;)

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
This always works: :D

pcb_fruitfly.jpg

Now seriously, the flies you have probably aren't fruit flies, but are probably something more like gnats (this is likely if they look like they're no larger than 2mm each). I have a similar problem at home where once in a while a small number of these gnats get attracted to various stuff like bananas, houseplants, and apparently any kind of plant matter, living or non-living, and eventually after a few days they're gone.

You're already doing what is probably best for this situation which is putting away the food, and this really should have slowed down the problem. If you have any other types of plant matter, including plants, try taking them outside too to see if the flies' numbers decrease.

I don't think letting in ants is a good idea, though; you're just replacing one pest with another, and it probably won't work anyway. Venus flytraps, mentioned by The Ultimate Novice, might work, considering these flies seem to be attracted to plants anyway. Of course, if you can't seem to get rid of them just call your local pest control service.

(By the way, Figure Quest is the name of an RPG I've been working on now and then for about the last 2 years, but it really hasn't gotten that far; RPG making sure is a lot of work, even when the engine is provided for you...)