Game Design

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
From the coding side of things, I'd recommend a very good book called "Black Art of 3D Game Programming" by André LaMothe (ISBN 1-57169-004-2)

I also second bobtheking's www.gamedev.net suggestion as a very good source of information related to all things game design

Last edited:

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
when flipcode had comments on the IOTD, image of the day, that would have been good. the flipcode IOTD might be good anyway. apparently they used to have comments on the images like the code of the day, but i wasn't there when they did.

you could also submit them to the gamedev.net showcase, or post them in the forums.

ThomRed

Fire Fly
Mar 5, 2003
NJ
I'm good with coding, spent two years at digipen. The only problem I having with the code is sound. Some of those web site you gave me the addess on look good for tips on design. I've been working on the code so I haven't had time to look at them to much. The game is just about done just need to work out some game play issues.

Thanks for the help :cheers:

http://thomas.j.dougherty.home.att.net/SoD2Info.html

SoD2_G01.jpg

:)

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
might want to try OpenAL if you haven't, i like it much better than DirectSound. OpenAL is also easier to do things like EAX, and its extremely easy to make an Ogg player (the queueing of buffers is ideal for streaming from anywhere). nice game :)

ThomRed

Fire Fly
Mar 5, 2003
NJ
I did the sound very simple din't even use direct sound I used window play sound (no way to buffer which sucks for games). everythings been basic used GUI isn't not pretty but work. It's been a while since I've used Direct X