Someone is shutting my computer down remotely

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Whenever I connect to the Internet, almost immediately I get a window saying:

---------------
System Shutdown
---------------

This system is shutting down. Please save all
work in progress and log off. Any unsaved
changes will be lost. This shutdown was
initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Time before shutdown: 00:01:00
-------------------------------

(No, I can't post a picture. I can't post attachments with Opera since NEWLY AND IMPROGRADED VB3, and Internet Explorer is so slow I probably couldn't get onto the site in time.)

And after sixty seconds it shuts down, as it says. Looks like someone's hacking me. Any idea how to close this Windows loophole or whatever's allowing someone to shut down my computer?

I tried fiddling with a few security settings in the Control Panel relating to who could shut down the system, but no joy.

I'm currently writing this in Notepad, hoping that one minute is enough to get onto BuF and post the message.

See you later, it's about to shut down again :mad:

P.S. Anyone who says 'Use Linux' will be killed. In the face. Particularly as it's not as if I can download a Linux bistro or whatever-they're-called within one minute.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
I just went through windows update last week, and there were are 6 more critical and security updates out already :eek:

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
actually this only effects winNT based systems. this exploit is in winNT 4.0, is that like 10 years old? :p

way to go microsoft... :p

ooh and seriously, get linux or a mac, you wont get these problems on those. :p

Last edited:

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
tool and pv: If everybody switched to Mac or Linux, more viruses, trojans, and exploits would be written for them. People target the most frequently used OSes - as well, Linux is targeted quite often too now because of it's popularity.

I want everybody else to use Windows; That way less crap gets written for BSDs :)

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Thanks everybody - well, those who were actually useful and not just adding to their postcount and/or geek factor ;)

Sorry I didn't check for the other thread on this, but, as you can probably understand, I didn't really have the time :)

Anyway, tomorrow I'm getting that upgrade.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
ok, as a temporary measure, you can run the following command whenever that shutdown is initiated

shutdown -a

this will call an abort to the shutdown, so you'll be able to use the pc as normal, until another shutdown call comes in. if it happens very frequent, it may be an idea to make a batch file and put a shortcut to it somewhere, so you can halt it quicker