Since when is defending the flag camping?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Aeon

Nov 11, 1999
IL
Visit site
I was on last night on defence and this jerk on my team named Spank_Me kept shooting me and calling me a camper. He really upset me and spoiled my evening. So is he right? Is defening the flag camping? I think not.

Quint

Nov 26, 1999
Netherlands
www.netgamez.nl
I still think that everything is allowed in a game. If someone wants to camp let him so. It's even more fun to kill these campers.

In the qw scene it happened a lot that people tend to call someone a camper when he is on top of the scorelist.

So my opinion: camping is not lame, but call someone a camper is lame.

And besides, what else can you do in own base than defending your flag. It's the purpose of the game.

bullet2.gif

Frank
Organiser Netgamez 2000
http://www.netgamez.nl

Stamp

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
Defending the flag is part and parcel of CAPTURE the flag. Without defenders there is no game. Although personally I find defending boring, I prefer attack and am better at it.

I don't like those that hide in a corner and blindly shoot a constant stream of razors, or whatever, down the passage everytime they hear the shooting start, but they are part of the game and are there to be overcome.

So, NO , you did not do anything wrong.

I once fragged a sniper who had been camping on the ridge in lava. He started swearing and cussing and challenged me to 1 on 1 at his camp. Naturally when I got there, there were 3 of them. NP, I killed all 3. Then he started swearing about faggot Flak and so on. Pathetic really. These people are also part of the game.

bullet2.gif

Fair is Fun.

Pope

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
I've given your issue some thought and have come to the following conclusion:

Defense does not have any rules whatsoever. You can frag an attacker in any way you can using any means you can.

Attacking on the other hand should (and generally does) have some rules (e.g. do not frag somebody who has just respawned, do not frag somebody who is typing, etc).

I am not a lawyer but I think that you may be let off by the law for quite a few things if it can be proved that you were defending yourself. Any lawyers out there?

Guysmily

Nov 30, 1999
Chicago, Il, USA
Visit site
I don't think it's camping.

Also what is wrong with camping?? Unless I have the wrong idea of camping (i define it by finding a spot and picking people off who happen to come by). If your not supposed to do that then why make the sniper riffle.

I guess I like the stratigic part of the game rather than the fast reflexes of jumping right into a crowd. Plus i'm and old descent 2 freak, where your rank was not only based on kills but also the kill to death ratio.

If camping means something else let me know.

Cebu

Nov 29, 1999
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
Yea, I'm a lawyer, so what does that have to do with the price of tea in china? This is a game and no laws are even remotely broken in playing any fps unless you consider fps literally. There are some basic commandments that gamers like to follow such as don't frag spawners, typers, and being amp or quad whores, but they aren't laws by any reach of the imagination.

The whole premise of ctf is to protect your flag while getting the other teams flag. That requires a good offense and defense. Alot of people go into ctf with a DM mindset and then complain...Hey teamplay entails working together and in alot of ways its harder than DM.

I feel that since it is a team game you need a good offense and defense to be competitive. Just like any other team sport, i.e., football, baseball, basketball. you have an offense and defense and each one needs to pull their weight or they will suffer defeat.

The only time I wiil play defense all the time is when my teammates are getting their *** whooped on defense and need help or if everyone on my team is playing offense and no one is guarding the fort. Either way I feel it is very fair to camp on defense. I personally move around alot because I don't want the other team to zero in on me. Good defense it just as hard as good offense. If you have two or three good players invade your fort, you will have your hands full with them. Plus don't have a good defense and the game won't last very long.....guaranteed

bullet2.gif

Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth?-Galatians 4:16

[This message has been edited by Cebu (edited 01-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Cebu (edited 01-21-2000).]

Quint

Nov 26, 1999
Netherlands
www.netgamez.nl
>>> The whiole premise of ctf is to protect your flag while getting the other teams flag. That requires a good offense and defense. Alot of people go into ctf with a DM mindset and then complain...Hey teamplay entails working together and in alot of ways its harder than DM. <<<

I don't agree with that. In good DM teams you also have to defend certain spots like the armors and good weapons. To me it's still not camping. It's a part of the dm strategy.

Without such strategies dm teammatches would be ffa with a handicap (your teammates) and that's boring.

Same for domination where you defend anchors.

Camping is a term for free for all games only where you hang out on certain spots where lots of players spawn or pass by, but lots people tend to call someone a camper who is standing still for more than 3 seconds already.

bullet2.gif

Frank
Organiser Netgamez 2000
http://www.netgamez.nl

Doom Trooper

Dec 8, 1999
www.quakefiles.com
I was playing Last Man Standing a week ago on DM-Barricade. My first three kills were from the top of one of the side parapets using a sniper rifle. I immediately acquired the label of "Camper!" from everyone playing. the fact that no one ever saw me coming (I would run up behind people and rip them apart with the minigun alt-fire) only further supported their believe.

sigh.

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Basically, people who can't deal with camping have exactly that problem. They don't know how to deal with it, so they try to make their own rules. If it was against the rules to camp, there would be no sniper rifle. Campers add to the fun by keeping me on my toes. I don't camp, but I don't begrudge anyone their playing style.
BTW, This thread has inspired me to make an anti-camping mutator.

bullet2.gif

"Who's up for the donkey show and some unholy butt sex?!" -- Lloyd Kaufman

Mute

All you have to do is smile!
I routinely shoot people in the back anyway. Am I supposed to be introducing myself or something?

"Excuse me, my name is Mute. I'm going to be killing you now."

Shah right, as if!

The one thing i do hesitate on is fragging someone who is talking. Not everyone follows that convention however, so as soon as I get killed while talking on a given server I just blow other 'chatty bastards' away myself /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif. I wait to find out how people act on that server tho.

messq3.jpg

heh...

-M-

CHRYSt

Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
LOL! I love penny arcade!
I try not to shoot typers, however, I have no problem fragging respawns. Just my own little morality issue. I wish Unreal had something as obvious as Q3 to show chatting, but i guess a mutator could fix that.

bullet2.gif

Dark Aeon

Nov 11, 1999
IL
Visit site
Ya, I thought so, defending a flag is not camping. Im a slow player, so defense is what I do best. If somone camps on DM, thats their
business. But respawn camping is lame, but otherwise, I think its OK, especially for HPB.

My two cents:
1. My definition of camping/camper.
A camper is someone who sit on a item like RL,Minigun, Amplifier etc. and don´t leaves this spot until he get´s killed. He´s standing there and shoots everyone who is coming in his sightradius. Or he waits at respawnpoints to kill someone who respawns.
He doesn´t stand on a high point like a tower(whatever, let´s call it sniperspot) with a zoomed-in Sniperrifle and kills ppl. This is a sniper. snipers are ok, because it needs some skill to kill a fast moving player. If you just stand there and watch the action you get a nice headshot, your own fault. Campers are just lamers with NO skill. It takes NO skill to kill a fresh respawned Player with a flak or something like this.
2. Teamplay and camping
There is NO camping in teamplay. It´s defending.You have to defend the flag, or you just gonna loose.
3. what´s thwe difference between defending and camping.
Camping is a pure DM-thing. You dont have to defend anything in DM, only your health. If somebody camps, tell the others. If you don´t kill him, somebody will.
Just my two cents.

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
"Camping" is part of the game. That's what the frickin' sniper rifle is for. Besides, I like the challenge of wasting the guy who keeps popping me in the head from halfwway across the map. And the fact that people "camp", regardless of where or with what weapon, should keep you on your toes.

bullet2.gif

"All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." - J. Spicoli

ShadowGoose

Dec 4, 1999
Toronto, ON, Canada
Visit site
I like campers. They are tasty, especially when served in an appropriate environment, like Facing Worlds. And they are kinda like chips:you can never eat just one.:p
Oh, and CTF is about offence and defense, as has been said. Only lamers complain about defence in CTF.

[This message has been edited by ShadowGoose (edited 01-21-2000).]

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Only camping I have a problem with is spawn camping on Face.

Booger sniped me 4 times last night, along with about 7 others...

I know most of yall dont care about ratings (ngStats), but he dropped me like 40 points, and gained 40 almost all off of me.

What I don't get is.. the guy can play. He's good. Why bother spawn camping?

If ya ask me, the spawn points on Face should be BEHIND the main building.

bullet2.gif

Ain't found a waayy..to kill me yet...
nguid:167703

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 01-21-2000).]

CHRYSt

Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
only lamers complain about camping in general...BTW, there's a difference between
"That camper keeps nailing me" and "You little puss, quit camping! Campers are lame!!!!!!!!! Get some 5k1LLz!"

Note the difference? one is frustration, and the other is complaining cause you suck and need to blame it on a stationary target.

bullet2.gif

Cebu

Nov 29, 1999
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
I think Quint misunderstood my point. I didn't mean that DM isn't hard or does not involve strategy. It does, but not in the same way as ctf due to the fact that the premise is to stay alive and win the match by fragging everyone else.

In DM your only goal is to stay alive and win the match. In ctf your goal is to get the other flag and return it. Death is secondary to getting the flag or sacrificing yourself for the good of the team. Hell I'll die everytime for my team if we can get the flag and win. Thats the only goal.

bullet2.gif

Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth?-Galatians 4:16