A map based on UT's intro ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I've seen it once before on a swedish server but I can't remember its name. At first I thought it was Darkcity but that's a completely different map. Does anyone know what it's called ?

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I know what map you're talking about. I have had it. Dunno if I still have.
Don't have UT installed so I can check right now.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Well, I'm asking the question because I have friend who would like to make the intro into some form of map. I told him it had already been done and said it might be DarkCity.

I think the map in question is actually DM-CityIntro. I will have a look at those other maps that you have metionned.

Swift Viper

Long live Xmas Xan Mark III(By Hyrulian)
Yeah, that map also frozen my UT and I had to hardboot, so I'm staying away from it and I think I got a problem like that on AS-HiSpeed a couple of times (on old and new computer).

As for the map itself, could be the ones people said, but I could not get on UTCMS for about a werk or more to find any more maps :( . If there really is not a map like the intro, it would be really cool to see one :) . *Looks on Nali City*

fragnbrag

Good news everyone!
Nov 12, 2002
Ottawa,Canada
sites.google.com
Fearless said:
...I have friend who would like to make the intro into some form of map...

btdt - why bother? that map (it is a map) is designed for the camera path - it is simply props carefully placed to present a series of scenes. it is instructional to look at only when learning about pathing a camera and certain special effects, but beyond that, the layout is no good for any gametype, unless you radically modify it - if you're going to do that you may as well design your own urban map :D there's at least a hundred excellent urban maps, much better than that one - just look at some of the fragFacility dm maps, also old but much better than re-using the old city intro which just seems lame these days.... :)

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Why bother ? Well, this idea popped up in a conversation we were having. After having seen the ruined maps that someone on this forum is making, we talked about the idea of remaking certain maps. It was at this moment that he mentionned that one of his ideas was to adapt the intro into a sort of map. I'd already seen a map like this before so I wanted to save him the effort :) .

NeoNite said:
Yeah there's also a ctf version of the map.

As-throne. .. ehm this map froze my ut :-/ And it wasn't all that either...

This is very odd indeed. The map looks nice but UT froze as soon as I got up to the first floor and I had to kill the process. Also, it seems that this map makes UT stutter at certain points. It's a shame to see such a good map go to waste.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Hmm three people so far have the same problem when playing As-Throne.

I get the same problem in As-Hispeed sometimes.
Not online though 0_0
Only offline. I can only run it 2 (or maybe 3 times) without the fear of ut freezing all of the sudden. Doesn't matter where I am in the level (spectator or playing)
Tried in D3D or Opengl, didn't make any difference.
gf2 mx

fragnbrag

Good news everyone!
Nov 12, 2002
Ottawa,Canada
sites.google.com
ok i see the appeal, more-or-less -- the as-throne guy was using the setting to apply his own gameplay ideas, that's ok i guess, up to a point. The score for that review was wayyyy too high imo. I made two maps (DM-FNB-UTCity and CTF-FNB-UTCity) a while ago which were massive maps but could _never_ bring myself to release them because the content was mostly Shane Caudles brushes, etc. imo you can play all you want with the product and third-party content but you should only ever *publish* your own *original* content. Throw in some credited prefabs, meshes, etc., if you're so inclined. if your work sucks, keep at it and you get better and faster at making it. You get way more respect from other *artists* and *mappers* for trying to express your own vision of something than blatant ripping - doing a bit and then sticking your name on it. Granted, Caudle, Innox, and all the rest prolly don't give a damn what happens (they got paid), but ripping is NOT what MAPPING is about. Tastefully done *tributes* (like high quality ports, like DogTown (UT2k3) are an exception...
(sorry for the ranting... :rolleyes:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Well, let's look at it this way. If noone had bothered to "rip off" respected artists work, there wouldn't be any city intro maps to speak of :p .

Hmmm, talking of Deck maps, does anyone know the name of a gigantic version of Deck16][ I happened to come accross on a redeemer only server :D ?

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Heh I think I know what you're talking about.. maybe I've seen that map on headshot (again, a long time ago :D...)
Probably called deck32 or something like that?

Swift Viper

Long live Xmas Xan Mark III(By Hyrulian)
Rants

The one thing I did not like about the CityIntro maps were poor bot pathing (they would move in some areas and not others) and being able to go to some areas that I was not "suppose" to go to. [rant] :mad: I think Sir Tahngarth took the other people's comments the wrong way, he made it sound like it was their problem, not the mapper's. That many people can't be wrong and if crashing had to do with my computer, it would have happen at other times, on other maps, but when AS-HiSpeed and AS-Throne are the only maps it happens on, then it is their problem. I did get big slow downs before it happens, but again I don't see my (or the other people's) computer(s) being the problem, it is the mapper's problem if they make someone's UT crash. Just because he did not crash on that map does not mean no one can, note how he said no map could do that, but it CAN now. I would say this in a comment, but I'm not "brave" enough yet because I don't know what Sir Tahngarth would do if I do say all this. It kind of made me up set thinking that it is MY problem because my UT crashed on that map and not the mapper's problem for making sure it works right. Kind of repeating the same things, but I'm not happy about that comment and my UT crashed on my old and new system on AS-HiSpeed offline. :mad: [/rant]

As for big Deck maps, the ones I found were Deck1 and Deck20, but however on Deck20 sometimes my game would crash (not hard crash, but back to the Decktop) giving my a error message about some pathnode, so becareful if you play that map.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
NeoNite said:
Probably called deck32 or something like that?

I'm not sure. I think Deck32 is actually bigger than the map I'm thinking of. If I remember well, this map is an enlarged version of Deck16 (the ramps and surroundings are much bigger) and there's a hidden room in the ceiling that allows a player to shoot down at any that's running below them.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
It's on my server Fearless

The map on my server is called Slithless Deck2K1. Go to www.RedeemerInsanity.com . There is a link called Map Packs. There are two Map Packs there that have all of my maps. They are all single file maps except one called DM 1 on 1 Judith. Anyway, you can download the packs. Unzip them using WinRar and extract them straight into your maps folder. Then go into the folder and delete Judith. Slithless Deck is one of the maps in the pack. You could also just email me and I'll send it to you. Big pain to find single file maps these days but they are easier to manage!