Item naming for the Cylinder brush

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

New poly naming scheme

• new system is better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • old system is better

• don't care

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • have both ways & make it a user option

• Item naming? arg!?!?!

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
The current version of the cylinder builder names the polys of partial brushes like this:
  • caps (the icing and the base)
  • curvature sides (the outer rim)
  • cut sides (the bits where you'd see the jam filling if it was a cake :) )

The current build I'm working on builds all the sides in one go.
Is it an advantage to be able to select all the vertical sides in one go, or a disadvantage that the cut sides are selected at the same time as the curvature sides?
So: better, worse, or just different?

Edit: Item Naming explanation:
When a poly is selected, SHIFT+I selects the other polys in that brush that have the same name.
In other words: poly naming divides the polys of a brush into seperate groups. Current partial cylinder has three groups, listed above.

Last edited:

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
:con: Mmmhhh...
The hell if i have an idea what you're talking about...

[/start NFG Parody]
HEY!
Tarquin you forgot about us Ultra N00bs and Morons
:D
Probably the wise TaoSPySpY :con: will be able to answer or He'll have to rely on
Tim SWEENEY's Mom

Hey for us Californians and other Bsp SEMI retards maybe you could make a quick schematic (provided it doesn't cut the BSP in half and send us all in a cycloïd HOM hell full of Ued Gobliiins and Jenna Bush Lookalikes...
[/end NFG Parody][

Last edited:

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
I asked because I didn't want this change to make it less useful to people (it makes the coding a heck of a lot simpler)

Anyway, here's the pic. Side view of a 4/16 cylinder. One 'jam' side and the top cap are not visible. Hope this explains.
If not, throw jam at me. Preferably without a jar around it :).

neoduck

Oct 18, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
so u are trying to ask weather it would be good to be able to select the jam (yum) and the rim with just 1 click?
too many big words and stuff for a primative mind as my own to understand.
(reads it over for the 100th time) no :) i still dont get it

The ultimate novice

It's MY island!
Feb 14, 2001
Gator Country
Visit site
I use SHIFT+W for adj. walls, and SHIFT+F for adj. floors & ceilings. I use ctrl+click for anything more complex than that. I guess what I mean to say is, keep the code as simple as possible. The users will learn to use it just as well either way. If they can't ctrl-click, they need to go back to basic training. I apologize if I too am totaly misinterpreting your querry.