I need some info regarding the vehicle code please!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

it's ME

Nov 15, 2001
Visit site
Some time ago i heard that the INF team wuld be working on a vehicle code, is this true? Or will this be skippt until the U2 version?

If somebody please could give me some info regarding this please!!

Thanks in advance!

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
they started the vehicle code some time ago (there is allready some basic coding for vehicles included, but it is incomplete so it isn't working). as far as i know they won't finish the vehicle code for the ut version of infiltration

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
Some versions ago I'd implemented basic vehicle codes. Our vehicles were and are able to follow terrain but they do not have "real" collision and do not take damage or something alike. They are just "decos" driving around in their current state.
We decided to move the vehicles to a more or less low priority cause the current UT engine does not support such efforts very much. U2 and the next-gen engine from Epic will support vehicles in a much better way and mod developers will not have to script the whole "physics" themselves.
There are some mods out there that let ya drive "brush" based vehicles and some let a drive mesh based ones but all lack in the terrain code a bit and really have no "real" feel behind it (no offense). The UT engine is simply not able to do this properly in its current state.
So - like already said - we haven't spend additional time to the vehicle codes yet due to these problems and cause the effords will not sum up to a "good" result.

- Beppo

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
Hmm, as ong as we get the BlackHawk, I can thing of lots of sexxy and sticky things to do with it...

DaBeowulf

UT-mods Geek
Feb 25, 2002
Germany, near Cologne
Visit site
Originally posted by Beppo
There are some mods out there that let ya drive "brush" based vehicles and some let a drive mesh based ones but all lack in the terrain code a bit and really have no "real" feel behind it (no offense). The UT engine is simply not able to do this properly in its current state.

Hey! You played StrangeloveV2? That pretty much feels like a "real" vehicle for UT.(At least for what you can achieve
with the engine physicwise etc. )

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I thought that flying a bomb would not be a 'milspec' even tough the Germans did try to build and 'use' similar "vehicles" in WW2 ... ;)

Scuddie

I am probably better than you.
Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
No, I think Beowulf has a point... If choppers can fly, then there is no need for terrain code. The only thing it needs is to self destruct on heavy impact, or to land if straight enough... That is a perfect example of some vehicles we can have.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by Scuddie
No, I think Beowulf has a point... If choppers can fly, then there is no need for terrain code. The only thing it needs is to self destruct on heavy impact, or to land if straight enough... That is a perfect example of some vehicles we can have.
A chopper wouldn't be impossible ... but with that code it wouldn't be a realistic chopper. (it can fly, but can it fly realistic ?)

Given the 'maximum realisme'-attitude of some of the members in this community I think they will find a reason to complain if the chopper doesn't behave like the real thing. And that requires a bit more than a thing that can land & crash.

bastardb

Dec 11, 2001
canada
Visit site
a chopper thats just scripted to do something would be cool

but player control is out of the question

too many abusers of anything that could go wrong with it

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by bastardb
a chopper thats just scripted to do something would be cool
Didn't the teaser feature a few flying choppers ?
I wonder what map that was ... (and if you can shoot them :D)

Tiran Kenja

CO of Creepers
Feb 26, 2001
www.creepers.org
Originally posted by SaraP
No, but delivering one team via copters a la Blackhawk Down would be cool.

How do you mean like blackhawk down? By getting it shoot down and creating one of the biggest failures in the history of special ops forces? :p

Naa. I know what you mean.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
But indestructable choppers would be highly unrealistic ... ;)

bastardb

Dec 11, 2001
canada
Visit site
i duno.. what if it was accidently shooting near you?

ive seen people online shooot friendlies just cause they "thought" a teammate was shooting near them

and poople online know all