UnrealED trouble

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Chuckleberry_Finn

I am become Steven Seagal.
Hi,

I've just started messing around with making a mod for UT, but I'm having a problem with UnrealED. I hear it's better to code outside of UnrealED and use ucc, but I haven't got that all worked out yet. In the meantime, I've been trying to make small changes to my code in the UnrealED script editor. The problem is, every time I exit UnrealED I hear the "error" noise, but I don't actually see any error windows. The result is that all the changes I made to my code, even though I compiled it in UnrealED, don't seem to take effect. In particular, just as a test, I changed some of the death messages in the default properties of my mod (having set up my mod as described in "Mod Authoring for Unreal Tournament"), but after compiling and exiting, the changes aren't there. When I check them again, they're back to the original values.

Does anyone know what's going on here? In addition, after this "error" while closing UnrealED, when I go to run UT itself, I get the splash screen saying that it wasn't closed properly, etc.

Thanks!

i get the error sound every time i exit UED2 -- i have since the day i installed it. Sometimes it causes the UT splashscreen afterwards, sometimes not.

But i script some of the time in UED2 when i doing a simple subclass of an actor in a hurry, and never have any problems saving the changes. Are you sure you're saving back to your .u package after compiling? Go to the Actors browser, make sure you've checked the box by your package name then hit the Save icon on the toolbar.

Raeled

Feuer Frei!
Jul 1, 2001
Dordrecht, The Netherlands
Visit site
epic said they solved the error after closing ued. but i also still get the beep.

for the splashscreen thingy.
maybe it helps if you use a separate ini for unrealed.

just copy unrealtournament.ini
and name it something like unrealedit.ini (not unrealed.ini, coz that name already taken by unrealed)

then change shortcut of unrealed to:
unrealed.exe -ini=unrealedit.ini

not sure if that helps (never tried it), but i am almost sure it will.

as for the changes lost. you should save the package afterwards, like navboy said. it won't automaticly save after compile

Chuckleberry_Finn

Thanks for the info. It sort of worked :)

I changed the suicide death message (something I can easily test), hit "compile changed scripts," checked my mod package, and saved. This time it did save the change to the death message, but when I ran my mod in UT, the death message hadn't changed. I don't understand what's going wrong.

Also, if I ever hit "compile ALL scripts" in UnrealED, it finds various errors, usually involving missing textures, in files that I've never even opened, let alone changed. I don't get it.

ALSO, I tried using that VUC++ program to browse and compile the source, but I can't get it to work at all. Whenever I try to compile, I get tons of errors concerning missing textures. It seems to be looking for .pcx files in the Textures directory, when in fact the Textures directory only has .utx files in it.

I'm getting a little frustrated with this... I can't even get to a point where I can do any coding. This system seems far more backwards than coding for HL :) Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Aphelion

Feb 25, 2002
Oxford
Visit site
Missing textures:

When you export files to text it creates directories in your main UT folder named after the .u and all the code for each .u appears in a subfolder called classes. If you used UCC it would take the contents of the directory and compile it for you. If you were going to add textures and sounds etc to your .u file, you'd create subdirectories called Textures and Sounds and so on, stick your sounds and Texs in there, add an import command in your code and hey presto, they'd be "compiled" along with your code.

Now, both UCC and VU++ both just look at the text files only which are all that are exported from .u files into those directories when you hit the export all scripts button (other stuff is left in the .u files) and that leaves the question of how the hell do the compilers expect to recompile the stuff when obviously half the extra stuff is missing I don't know...

VU++ I think only does it to build another copy, saved as a .~u file in the same location as your .u, so if you rename your .u file to .~u and paste in the original .u file back again (so you can still use it) VU++ should be happy...

BTW, I've never ever gotten the save packages thing to work in UnrealEd. I didn't even know it was meant to... So I do lots of cut and pasting into and out of text files... :)

Call me Erdrik

Arch Mage
Nov 24, 1999
Spring Hill, FL, USA
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by Chuckleberry_Finn
Thanks for the info. It sort of worked :)

I changed the suicide death message (something I can easily test), hit "compile changed scripts," checked my mod package, and saved. This time it did save the change to the death message, but when I ran my mod in UT, the death message hadn't changed. I don't understand what's going wrong.

Also, if I ever hit "compile ALL scripts" in UnrealED, it finds various errors, usually involving missing textures, in files that I've never even opened, let alone changed. I don't get it.

.... SHORTENED....

Thanks.

did you click the save button on UEd's main toolbar or the one in the actor browser? just wondering 'cause I code in UEd and it hasn't given me ANY problems :p ....

try not to hit the 'compile all' button :p I do it from time to time... just comment the area (ie // or /* */), but DO NOT SAVE! only save your custom package. you can continue working and the next time you load Ued the problems gone. for me its only one texture missing, tho... (strange tho because I checked and the texture is there... :p )

probably best to stick to simple stuff in UED2 (for example, i can't even run the Compile All option on mine, it locks up for some reason ... plus why would i want to recompile all the stock stuff -- it should never be altered....

For bigger tasks, use UCC (you can use ucc to batch export all components of .u files if you're needing that stuff broken out), then you can control where everything is when you recompile using UCC ... There's a recent thread in here about what is the best editor to use that has tons of posts from people describing their working setups ... Also read the tutorial on how to use UCC here at Chimeric (i don't have the link bookmarked, maybe somebody else does) ...

Chuckleberry_Finn

Aphelion, that's what I figured. The textures are already packed up, and that seems to be why the compiler can't find them when I go to compile the scripts. I guess the solution would be to unpack the textures and everything as well, but that seems like a waste of time. Unfortunately, when I set up VUC++ to only compile my new package, it can't do it. I get an error saying that it can't find the superclass "DeathMatchPlus," or something like that. Which is ridiculous, because DeathMatchPlus is already packed up. So basically I can use VUC++ to browse the files, but not to compile them. That's kind of obnoxious.

On the other hand, I don't really have a problem using UnrealED to edit code, except that it doesn't seem to work either! Here's what I've been doing:

I created a MyGame class, just like it says in the Mod Authoring guide, which doesn't actually do anything except define a name for my game. I compile with UCC, it works fine. Now, I want to change something about my game, just to see if I can. So, I go into UnrealED, open the Actor browser, find MyGame, and click on it. The class definition appears in the text editor. Now, as I understand it, MyGame should inherit all the default properties of the DeathMatchPlus class. So, I right-click on MyGame, go to show defaults (or whatever it is), click on DeathMessages, and change the male suicide death message. Having done that, I hit compile changed scripts. It says "Success, everything is up to date" or something along those lines. I check the box next to MyGame, hit the save button, and quit out of UnrealED. Now, I go into UT, go to start practice session, switch the gametype to MyGame, and launch it. I immediately run for the nearest rocket launcher and blow myself to smithereens, but the death message it displays is still the default "Chuckleberry_Finn killed his own dumb self!" instead of the one I changed in MyGame's default properties in UnrealED. I don't understand why that change isn't actually taking effect. Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks. I'm gunna go look for that thread about what editing environment everyone uses :)

never used VUC, but if it's like UED, if it bitches about needing a superclass you probably need to add a line for that superclass to your .ini file just like you did for your MyGame package.

also, just to confirm, did you subclass DeathMatchPlus to get your MyGame and are you talking about chaning the MaleSuicide death message? Not all of those deathmessage params get used in UT that i can tell, even though it's a child of TournamentGame ...

Chuckleberry_Finn

I don't really follow what you're saying about the INI file. As far as I know, I'm using UnrealTournament.ini, which already contains references to all the standard packages.

But yes, I did subclass DeathMatchPlus to make MyGame, and I am talking about changing the MaleSuicide death message. I'm pretty sure it does get used in UT. It's the one that says "Chuckleberry_Finn killed his own dumb self!" I see it all the time when I blow myself up :) I purposely picked that one to change because I know I can make it happen easily. So under the default properties of the my MyGame class (in UnrealED) I changed that particular message to "...R0x0rz himself!!!" Now, in principle, when I run a practice session with MyGame as the gametype, and kill myself, shouldn't I get the message "Chuckleberry_Finn R0x0rz himself!!!" instead of "Chuckleberry_Finn kills his own dumb self!" ?? I think I should :) But I don't. I still get the default message. When I go back into UnrealED and view the default properties, it definitely says "R0x0rz himself!!!" under MaleSuicide, but that particular statement never appears in the game itself at all! I really don't get it.

Also, on a side note, I have VC++, and I read that some people use that to edit. Does anyone know how to set it up to browse the Unreal classes? Do I have to set up a project and manually add ALL the .u files? Seems like a pain.

Thanks.

Chuckleberry_Finn

Haha, this is rich. I just found out that after screwing around with VUC++ and having to restore the backed up packages, I have a "Core package version mismatch" whenever I try to connect to any internet game. Guess I have to reinstall!

I guess the moral of the story is never ever recompile the standard packages.

nod, absolutely. Never change the stock stuff. And always pick unique names for your own packages ... it creates major headaches when people name their packages obvious types of things like city.utx -- in the online world you end up with many package floating around with the same names always overwriting each other.

Also, rather than change the DeathMessage, a better [conclusive] test of your custom GameType would be to add something like:

Code:
event InitGame( string Options, out string Error )
{
log("InitGame -- running my custom gametype ... ");
	Super.InitGame(Options, Error);
}

then check your log for that comment to make sure it's happening -- this will tell you for sure that your custom gametype is working ... If you're curious about the DeathMessage thing, just trace through the function calls that happen when a player dies ... My guess is it's not using the MaleSuicide param to generate the message you're seeing in the game ...

Chuckleberry_Finn

Thanks for the tip.

I think I figured out the problem with the death messages. It looks like the DeathMessagePlus class looks in TournamentGameInfo's defaults to grab the death messages, so I'd probably have to extend it and have my version grab death messages from MyGame's defaults instead. Fair enough.

Anyways, having just reinstalled, I decided I'm not going to use VUC++ to edit code at all. I'll probably just use a combination of UnrealED and notepad for the time being :)