Voodoo 3 3000 16mb

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rocko

the king of hipshots
Apr 6, 2001
Sweden
www.c-22.org
This is probably a silly question but I know a guy who has an old Voodoo-card lying around and collecting dust. It's a Voodoo 3 3000 16mb PCI.

I think not, but it is possible that I can get better FPS with that card instead of my GeForce2 Pro?

My specs are:
PIII 733MHz
384 Mb RAM
GeForce2 Pro 64Mb (CPU@210MHz, Mem@412MHz)

Mr. HotDog

[Insert Text Here]
Apr 2, 2001
Visit site
So what your telling me is that you're willing to buy a Voodoo3, to replace your G2 Pro? ARE YOU MAD?!?!?!?!?!?!

First off, you should be getting decent/good fps with your G2. Second, is INF the only game you play? Probably not. Therefor, your gonna want a more powerful video card. And finally, Unreal2 and Unreal Tournament are almost finished, and should be released somtime this year (hopfully summer), INF might be converted to U2 (HOPFULLY!!!!!) then you'll want your G2 Pro.

Midwinter

sneaky bastard
Oct 15, 2000
Valencia, Spain
Visit site
I know a guy who has an old Voodoo-card lying around and collecting dust.

A friend could give the card to him :). I dunno how the Geforce2 performs, but Voodoo cards are the best for UT/INF. Before switching to a GF3, i had a voodoo3 and it ran sweet...

Rocko

the king of hipshots
Apr 6, 2001
Sweden
www.c-22.org
You got it Midwinter. ;)

The reason is, since it was PCI. And my GF2 is AGP...I thought I might be able to get them to live together...maybe that's not possible? :(

90% of the time I put down in games is INF. :D

Midwinter

sneaky bastard
Oct 15, 2000
Valencia, Spain
Visit site
Hmmmm... in theory it could be possible... I never tried putting two graphics cards in one computer. However some time ago i heard somebody using a voodoo and a tnt2 card together... so it may work.

Sorry, but I can't help you more with this... maybe searching the Internet could give you some clues...

Good luck finding it!

pshyco123456

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
tell me how the hell a voodoo 3 is the best for UT. the highest FPS i get is 40 with a 400 mgz PC. well now i get a lot faster PC and video card. 1.2 mgz geforce2 64mb bideo card. 21" monitor,
suroundsound creative. i can't wait till i get my 2.0 mgz :D

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
I may be totally off here, but I don't think it matters much what card you use. The reason for this is that INF depends a lot more on CPU-speed than the speed on your gfx-card.

Rocko, you should talk to Viperian. I think he knows more about this.... :)

Midwinter

sneaky bastard
Oct 15, 2000
Valencia, Spain
Visit site
Why Voodoo's are the best cards for UT? Simple answer. They are the best because when Unreal Engine was designed Voodoo's were the only 3D cards around, thus it was made to work with Glide (Voodoo-Exclusive 3D API). Direct3D and OpenGL drivers were made as "add-ons" and, as the Unreal Engine was not designed for those APIs, its performance was worse. As you know, UT engine is the Unreal engine slightly modified, so the same applies to it.

If you were only going to use U/UT engine based games, the Voodoo will perform way better than any other equivalent card. That's speaking on a vid card level. Processor power is another matter that doesn't come into the scope of this thread.