Unreal Tournament 2: Weapons Preview

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
For those of you who missed out on the Feburary issue of PCGamer(US) where they had a preview of UT2, here's the weapon list:

ut2-assault-rifle-sm.jpg

:Assault Rifle: The Assault Rifle is the base weapon for UT2 and has two features. The primary fire is your standard machine gun. New to UT2 is the secondary fire on the rifle, a grenade launcher. This feature was moved from the Rocket Launcher to the Assault Rifle. This weapon is the "do it all weapon for UT2. The grenade launcher will definitely come in handy from time to time.

ut2-link-gun-sm.jpg

:Link Gun: The Link Gun is one of the new weapons to make its debut in UT2. This weapon is a kissing cousin to the Pulse Gun in UT. Its primary fire is a ball/bolt of green energy. This weapon has a high rate of fire. The secondary fire is a continuous stream of energy that gradually drain the health/armor/shield of its opponent. The weapon also features a new "Bonus Fire" when in action with others. To quote PCGamer and DE; "Three teammates can "link" their guns to give the central player a more powerful shot." But unfortunately while everyone is linked the 2 supporting players lose ammo and can't defend themselves. This feature will be interesting to see in action.

ut2-shotgun-sm.jpg

:Shotgun: The Shotgun is a new incarnation of the ASMD rifle. The ASMD was probably one of the most used and misunderstood weapons in both Unreal and UT. In the hands of a skilled player this weapon could prove trouble some on defense. The Shotgun's primary fire is an energy beam. The secondary fire is a blob/ball of energy that when struck by the primary sets off a small explosion. It should be noted that it is not known if the Shotgun will do the same kind of damage as UT's ASMD.

ut2-minigun-sm.jpg

:Minigun: The Minigun is one of the two, what I think, weapons that are the staple of any good FPS. It's primary fire is a high rate of fire weapon that shots heavy duty bullets. The secondary fire is a burst of bullets that can do a lot of damage but it has several drawbacks. The weapon takes time to spin up to its peak rate of fire, consumes ammo faster and it loses some of its accuracy.

ut2-flak-cannon-sm.jpg

:Flak Cannon: The Flak Cannon which is another hotly debated weapon. Often called the "Noobie" weapon because of its rapid rate of fire and splash damage than can kill enemies easily without requiring much skill to use. The primary fire is a large amount of shrapnel that bounces off of walls. It is still unknown if the damage from this weapon will be lessened. The secondary fire is a ball of shrapnel that does quite a bit of damage. The flak ball from UT featured one of the funniest things in FPS's. When the ball was fired directly at you, you viewed a "Have a nice day" smiley that signaled your doom.

ut2-rocket-launcher-sm.jpg

:Rocket Launcher: The Rocket Launcher, what can I say but every good FPS has one of these. Often called a spam weapon but in truth it takes a little bit of practice to be able to anticipate your opponents move and kill them with this. However some of the "spam" will be reduced due to the fact that you will only be able to load 3 rockets at a time. The "Homing" feature with be left in with the several rocket fire being used as the secondary function of the weapon.

ut2-sniper-rifle-sm.jpg

:Sniper Rifle: The Sniper Rifle is the most hated weapon in all of the UU, in my opinion. The primary fire in UT2 will be different from UT. It remains a instant hit weapon but instead of firing bullets it fires a bolt of lightning. The leaves a signature as to where it was fired. The weapon remains lethal but will compromise your position when used. The secondary fire allows you to use a UV scope that shows the target as heat signatures. This will come in handy for bad weather and night maps.

For those of you that are fans of "Super Weapons" you won't be let down. As of last posting UT2 will feature 2 weapons: A gun similar to the Redeemer that homes in on its target and travels low to the ground and a gun called the ION Cannon that is a giant laser housed in a satellite in outer space. The IC will fire a giant laser down on a "painted" target on the ground and do some incredible amount of damage. Obviously this weapon will only be useful on outdoor maps.

Mind you that these weapons are features are subject to change. But, I think that DE has learned a lot from playing, watching and listening to the UT community. I think the weapons will be pretty fun and well balanced. Then again I hope they still leave them a little too powerful because that was one of the things that separated UT from Quake 3 was the chaos and speed of the weapons and game.

http://www.unrealops.com/ut2-weapons-preview.htm

peachz

BANNED
Sep 7, 2001
Mmmm... zen....
Player1 - 'What is that giant thing way off in the distance?'
Player2 - 'I dunno, but it's got points and is somewhat semi-circular in nat-'
FiringAimlessly - 'HUUUZZZAAHH!'
Player1&2 - 'Aiiiiiiieeee! It burns!'

Heeee. :lol:

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
for a single player action adventure game i think the weapons are pretty well done. I like the fact that the basic weapon isn't some wimpy pistol but a usefull little assault rifle. not the most creative, but good none the less.

To date i think the game that had the most intresting weapons/items was Duke nukem.

Tripmines, pipe bombs, freeze rays, shrink guns, rocket launchers, pistols, machine guns, shotguns, rocket packs, holograms and more that i probably can't even remember. In single player or multiplayer they added alot to the game.

peachz

BANNED
Sep 7, 2001
Mmmm... zen....
Deus Ex had teh best weapons in a looong while. Since when in a regular FPS (well, RPG+FPS) could you beat someone to death with a whimpy little baton? Or spray freezing CO2 to stun them from a fire extinguisher?

God, that was fun beating people with that puny baton. So tension-relieving. (Thwack! Thwack! 'Uughhhhh.')

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
AND Duke's pistol had a tolerably decent ROF. :D

I'd like to see a full commercial deathmatch game (not just a mod) where you can select your starting weapon before you spawn and maybe except as a backup or a level-specific weapon you don't have anything particularly "bad" or "good"...

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
for a single player action adventure game i think the weapons are pretty well done. I like the fact that the basic weapon isn't some wimpy pistol but a usefull little assault rifle. not the most creative, but good none the less.

errrr, we're talking about Unreal Tournament 2

I'd like to see a full commercial deathmatch game (not just a mod) where you can select your starting weapon before you spawn
IIRC, you start with every weapons in UT2, so you have your choice, but it's true that you wont be limited 1 or 2 weapon

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
Originally posted by DeMachina
IIRC, you start with every weapons in UT2, so you have your choice, but it's true that you wont be limited 1 or 2 weapon
^_________________^

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
That's not a big deal if weapons are not original, they had to stay in the tone of Unreal and UT .....
Now i wonder one thing : if you start with all weapons, why is the rifle descriped as the "base" weapon :con:

McMuffin

The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator
Jul 30, 2000
OR
Maybe theres more ammo for it?

Maybe it's the most generally effective weapon?

Where do you carry all that crap?

Inf. has ruined me...

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
You guys have to consider that it was UT's weapons that helped it beat out quake for game of the year. :p

Personally I am glad they stuck to the weapons we are all uswed to seeing in the unreal series... and I am sure mod makers will fill any niches you people want filled with all sorts of stuff... look at UT4Ever for example :lol:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
:Assault Rifle: The Assault Rifle is the base weapon for UT2 and has two features. The primary fire is your standard machine gun. New to UT2 is the secondary fire on the rifle, a grenade launcher. This feature was moved from the Rocket Launcher to the Assault Rifle. This weapon is the "do it all weapon for UT2. The grenade launcher will definitely come in handy from time to time.

IIRC, and that means that I should play it again, the assault rifle in Unreal: Return to Na Pali was like this. The grenade was instant hit. I hope they don't do it like that in UT2...

ElectricSheep

Tommy Vegas
May 11, 2000
Newark, DE
Where's the Napalm Unit! The Napalm Unit! Napaaaaaaaalm!!!!!

That and was *I* the only one that really got satisfaction from using the Biorifle and the Razorjack?

EDIT: And for the ION Cannon, it should have a similar effect as the Solar Flare (or whatever it was called) from Akira: A wide beam of light from space when activated which rapidly narrows until the surrounding atmosphere explodes due to the heat. It would let other players get the hell outta the way, but you wouldn't notice anything until it was too late if the beam was right on top of you.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
Originally posted by Hadmar

IIRC, and that means that I should play it again, the assault rifle in Unreal: Return to Na Pali was like this. The grenade was instant hit. I hope they don't do it like that in UT2...
I think it's gonna be more like the M16 in Unreal Forever(launch a single rocket launcher nade), don't quote me on that though.
I love the bio-rifle and ripper, but those being some of the most unpopular and under-hyped weapon online no doubt will be kicked.

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
From what I remember from a french magazine (Joystick), you indeed come with all the weapons but there will be 2 or 3 secret weapons to unlock. Another feature is that you have much more limited ammo than in the first UT. There will be no more ammo packs but reloading spot: as long as you stay in these spots, your weapon keeps loading.

Another thing: they implemented some sort of RPG character management feature. You will be able to distribute points to your bots after each levels (tactic, aiming, etc,...) and some special characters for the player could be unlocked but after a very hard fight. If success, you will be able to use these new characters online. These characters will have special unique tricks.

It wasn't stated but I think that giving the difficulty level you choose, this special character will be more powerfull (if you unlock it at god level, you will have some sort of super hero to play online).

All from memory...