Sick of Face, Lavagiant, November?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
SwitchOnn, Orbital and HallofGiants are terrific maps. Think of HoG as Face in an ernormous Alien Lair. If you like low-grav you'll love it. It has the most incredible acceleration tubes and plays very differently from your typical CTF map. Highly reccomended!

Orbital is one of those maps that seem pretty straight-forward at first...until you play it more and see there is enormous team strategy potential. It has very wide corridors and more than a few twists and turns connecting symetrical bases.

[PuF]USDA_Prime

Jan 3, 2000
Visit site
Is anyone else sick of Face, Lava Giant, and November? Seems like every @#$% server is running only these three maps...

With all of the new maps coming out, it would be nice to see a little more variety offered by the various server admins.

On a (somewhat) related note: To all of you server admin types, please please PLEASE enable the 'force team balance' option for any team game. It sucks donkey-dick to get smeared in CTF or Assault and find out the game was 7 on 2. Just a personal peeve.

Thanks - now go eat your peas. They're good for you.

------------------
I was going to go to work today, but the voices told me to stay home and clean the guns.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Luckily, mouse and crew are releasing the old RealCTF maps in a shiny new UT skin! Some of you old Quakers will recognize a few of these as being the finest examples of CTF maps. In additon there are several superior maps out .....I agree let's see the new maps on more servers. If I see them running and there are peple on them...I join them.

Force Team Balance.....YES! Why wouldn't it be on????????

Wedge.net

Dec 1, 1999
Ann Arbor, MI
www.wedge.net
A problem with force team balance is, even though it works when teams are assigned at the beginning of a map, after the map has started, UT doesn't put new players on the correct team to balance. If Red has 4, and blue has 5, UT often puts the new player on blue. I would like to see this fixed in a patch...

bullet2.gif

:Wedge

M

Meister

I almost agree completely [PuF]USDA_Prime! I am completely sick of Face and Lavagiant, but not November. Usually when I see a server playing Lavagiant or Face, I avoid it like the plague.

There are servers out there running Face all the time 24/7... what a joke! Come on server admins play all the maps and some of the good user maps.

Some of the best games I have played were on levels like Command, Niven and my absolute favorite...EternalCaves.

Anarchon

Jan 3, 2000
The Netherlands
Visit site
What's wrong with face and lavagiant. I think those are the coolest maps around. Because they are perfect for sniping. Oh and hall of giants sucks. It's far too big. It takes 5 minutes to get to the other site and 10 minutes to find somebody to shoot at.

[PuF]USDA_Prime

Jan 3, 2000
Visit site
I've played both Orbital and HoG, and liked them both. My only beef with HoG is that it is almost _too_ big; seems like you'd need 10+ players per team to really get a tight game going. That many players is tough on the server...

Orbital kicks *** , but I've only found it on one server /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

Some other good ones that are rarely seen:

Eternal Caves
Coret
Twin Valleys (I think this is the name, it has two identical forts with sniping towers, ramps, all kinds of good stuff)
Gauntlet

One caveat - some maps work with 20+ players, others are overloaded with more than 10 (this is more a problem with some of the DM maps, but still...) - server admins should keep this in mind when setting up their map rotations.

Any other good CTF maps you'd like to see in a server rotation?

bullet2.gif

I was going to go to work today, but the voices told me to stay home and clean the guns.

Mr Z

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
Don't forget CTF-Killgore, CTF-Stronghold, CTF-Milk, CTF-Underdwellers, CTF-McSwartzly, CTF Sketchpad, CTF Shiggy, and CTF Darkkeep.

[This message has been edited by Mr Z (edited 01-04-2000).]