ok guys, i need your help.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
i have $85 USD to spend.

now, what to spend it on?:D

heres my sys loadout.

AMD Athlon ThunderBird 1.0 ghz proccy with 266 FSB
Shuttle AK11 mobo, using onboard AC'97 sound.
384 meg of Kingston PC133 ram
3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 APG w/Fan+OC
1.44mm Sony Floppy
8x Toshiba DVD-Rom
16x10x40 LITEON CD-RW
Macronix 100mbps LAN
Western Digital 45 gig 5400 RPM UMDA66 HDD
300W ATX tower

though keep in mind theres no point upgrading somthing if its only gonna be a little (like a 1.0 to a 1.2 ghz) and i would prefer to buy everything at newegg.com

Exar Kun [Sith]

Sith Lord
Sep 11, 2001
A Sith Temple
Visit site
Well if you want to come out cheap and have a some cash left over maybe more ram?

Or maybe a new sound card and disable your onboard sound? Some decent mid-range sound cards are about that much.

Not alot you can get that will be a big upgrade for $85 with your rig. I.E. hard drives are about that much but they're only about 40gig and you have 45.

Or save up and get a better vid card maybe. Get something better than a geforce2 mx like a higher geforce2 (pro, gts, ti) or a radeon.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
hmm. true. no need for more ram, im sorry but having 1 gig of ram is just a bit excessive, i can hardly every use more than 3/4 of my current amount. im not gonna dump the voodoo for anything less than a GEF3 or somthing similar, maybe a radeon, but i fear ATI's drivers. wish there was some place i could still pickup a V5 5000 :hmm:

Exar Kun [Sith]

Sith Lord
Sep 11, 2001
A Sith Temple
Visit site
Originally posted by FireSlash
hmm. true. no need for more ram, im sorry but having 1 gig of ram is just a bit excessive, i can hardly every use more than 3/4 of my current amount. im not gonna dump the voodoo for anything less than a GEF3 or somthing similar, maybe a radeon, but i fear ATI's drivers. wish there was some place i could still pickup a V5 5000 :hmm:

There's no such thing as having too much ram.:D

Hmm... a V5 would be a good with your rig, they scale nicely with processors and it would be a good hold over card until the next gen cards come out to help drive down the cost of the current cards.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
ok. im looking at VCs, anyone wanna point out the best one? not sure, reviews are all differnt. :hmm:
  • Hercules/Guillemot 3D Prophet II Geforce2 Titanium 64MB AGP with Tv-Out
  • ATI Radeon 7500 64MB DDR AGP OEM
  • VisionTek Xtasy 5864 (GeForce2 Ti Graphics Chipset). 64MB DDR 4X/2X, AGP - RETAIL
  • LEADTEK GEFORCE2 TI 64MB TV VGA CARD- RETAIL
  • Gainward/Cardexpert GeForce 2 TITANIUM Ti/500XP, 4ns 64MB DDR, VIVO, Golden Sample Plus. Retail
  • MSI G2Ti PRO-T (MS-8855 8855-020) GeForce2 Titanium 64MB DDR SDRAM

if you want more info theres full descriptions at newegg. just the stuff i can afford considering a get a few bucks for my V3 and a few more bucks elsewhere.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
well, i just placed my order at newegg.

Radeon 7500 is is. i figure i can survive buggy drivers, it CANT be worse than the hell i go through right now with my V3 3000 and XP. try to run GL more than once pre boot and j00 get a nice pretty scrambled screen! or, the random memory dumps are great too!;)

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
Originally posted by Elrod
I'm sure you'll be happy with your new toy. I went to my current Radeon VIVO from a V3 3500, and I remember that being an impressive jump, and since the 7500 is a few steps higher, it should be a significant improvement ... as long as the drivers don't get to you... ;)

bah. back in my day we wrote our own drivers for our video cards, and liked it!;)

yay! i get to stalk the FedEx man again! woohoo!:D