Why does INF run like crap on my PC but not on my Mac?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Meat Sac

May 30, 2001
PDX
Visit site
Here is my situation.

I have a 1.5 DSL with a router running to a Mac and PC

The PC is a Dell laptop P3 1.2ghz 512 ram with Nvidia 2go card (32 meg). I have netspeed set to 10000

I get pings of 350-400 avg with 35% packet loss on my PC. My Mac gets 200 ping with no packet loss to the exact same server.

Get this, other games like RTCW I get pings under 100 with my PC to the same server. Something is up. Anyone have any tweak or fix solutions?

Meat Sac

May 30, 2001
PDX
Visit site
ah, why do you hate me?

My laptop won't go higher than 512 megs of ram. It 's not set on software rendering either. that wouldn't explain the ping and packet loss mystery.

PorterINF

Apr 10, 2001
Visit site
Have you tried messing around with the VID settings? Does the PC run INF good offline, or is it just an online thing. Post your current VID settings so PC people can help you out.

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
If it's just a ping/p-loss problem, you probably need to look at your connection settings/configuration on your laptop. UT/INF online code is identical on both Macs & PCs, so there's no INF-related reason I can think of why you'd have such a difference in your net stats.

PorterINF

Apr 10, 2001
Visit site
I thought ping was directly related to connection and game settings. If you lower your video settings your ping will lower also because of less info being transfered. Is this wrong?

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
"Ping" is the latency of packets going between your machine and the server. I.e. the time, in miliseconds, it takes for a packet (basic unit of info) to travel from your machine to the server and back. So it has nothing to do with your graphical display really.

Also, the display of map polygons is done purely client-side, meaning it needs no info from the server, other than the basic info of which map you're supposed to be playing in (which is then loaded up at the beginning of the match off your own hard drive).

Meat Sac

May 30, 2001
PDX
Visit site
Thanks alpha. I still don't understand why INF gets higher pings and packetloss than when I play RTCW on this same server. I am talking ping under 100 with Wolfenstein too! Inf is 350 + packet loss. That is the part I dont understand.