Zoom of Scopes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

wrdaniel

Aug 30, 2001
Is the Zoom of the Scopes in INF realistic or also downgraded to gameplay. I think with the 4x InfScope you can get hits ~250 INF meters.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Contrary to popular belief, you don't want to be looking into the guy's nostils from 1000m - its far to easy use high-powered zoom in inf. Perhaps the FOV isn't restricted enough.
IRL, you would lose the target in a second.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
actually the scope view is too wide compared to the full view, and for the robar the amount of visible area should DECREASE when zooming out. Though i doubt we'll ever see that corrected in inf.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
numbers are right, presentation is wrong.
the image area should be smaller with the same fov.

but on some systems, that would defeat the purpose of zooming.
not to mention the jiggle is very small compared to the real thing. any movement would shake so bad you couldent see a thing.

wrdaniel

Aug 30, 2001
I made some shots of the zoom. i think the m16 and robar low values are false. only 2.7x. when this would be raised to the right values, maybe more guys would use open sights cause the FOV gets lower.

m16_zoom.jpg

psg1_zoom.jpg

rc50low_zoom.jpg

rc50high_zoom.jpg

How can i calculate the distance with the M16 ACOG iRL?

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
well I looked at the scope on one of my pellet rifles.
I figure the viewable area is about the size of my thumb held about an inch or two away from my eye.

put that same thumb over my monitor and the viewable areas smaller than the size of the scope we have now. (about half)

if they did that, then its the same image but a smaller screen size, forced to have fewer pixels in it by the game engin.
sorta like un-zooming the zoom in a way cause the image is pixilated past reckognition.

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
the amount of visible area should DECREASE when zooming out.

- uh... could you explain exactly how and why? :confused:

A screenshot edited to look like what it should look like would help a lot.

Iceman

Who Dares Wins
Oct 6, 1999
Australia
Visit site
Sorry to break it to you, fur, But when you 'zoom out' on a scope, lets say a 3x-9x44mm well on 3x your feild of view at 100 yards is 39 feet, however the feild of view at 100 yards on 9x is only 14 feet, See my point?
and if you don't belive me, got to http://www.tasco.com or any other rifle scope maker like leopold, Nightforce etc.

Iceman.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
that was my point... the viewable area is larger in comparison to the scope diameter, hence more blackout if you want to project it on the same size surface.

edit i adjusted the pic

Last edited:

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
???

Doesn't "zoom in" mean to focus on a smaller area?

From that picture "zoomed in" looks like it has a wider view angle(?) than "zoomed out."

Or do "in" and "out" mean the (I don't know the words for any of this - I consistently failed the microscope tests in biology class and relied on intuition alone to do anything in photography) optimal range of depth resolution as in going "out" as in AWAY from the viewer?

I've typed this at 4:06AM on a Saturday. Forgive my complete inability to... *mind goes blank again* make use of linguistic faculties in an efficient manner...

EDIT: I'VE GOT IT!!!

Even in a slightly better state of mind I would still find it impossible to explain in words, but Fur's diagram makes perfect sense.

Thanks, Fur!

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
yeah it's hard to explain, it even confused me for a while :)

while your theoritical POV increases when you zoom out the size of the visible area in comparison with your FOV decreases, therefor you see more of your scope when zoomed out and less when zoomed in.

Last edited: